Jerry Sullivan v. Dr. Z on judging cornerback play

Geez.... I wrote that earlier today and got not a single response or reference to it... What does a guy gotta do to become visible around here?

404897[/snapback]

300 post's or write something really stupid........and you where so close to 300 posts :blink:

Thanks... after about five years of semi-lurking, I am proud of my very first LAMP.  :blink:

404926[/snapback]

Personally I think you droped the ball a perfect lamp would've been a silent thread for your 300th post.... oh well you always have something to look foward to when you hit 1000

for those who didn't read jerry sullivan's column today, i just want to alert everyone (as if people didn't already know) that he doesn't actually appear to watch other nfl teams. in his column ( http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1035686.asp ), he wrote:

"Clements has some of the credentials of an elite cornerback. He has 18 interceptions in his four seasons in Buffalo. A few actually came against competent NFL passers. If you base a defensive back's value solely on pickoffs, he's in the same class as Champ Bailey, who commanded an $18 million signing bonus from the Broncos. But Clements isn't in Bailey's class. He's a good player and a proven playmaker, but he's not an elite shut-down corner."

However, this cuts against a gathering consensus about Bailey, spearheaded by Dr. Z who knows a lot more than Sullivan:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ....systems/1.html

'Or on consensus All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey: "Bailey was 79th in deep yards (first being the fewest), tied for 73rd in deep completion percentage, tied for 16th most in deep attempts, tied for 69th in deep TDs ... Bailey wasn't just beaten deep; he was targeted for deep passes quite frequently."'

Or this:

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/3772052

"Champ Bailey might be the most overrated player in football.

Those are my words, not Joyner's. But Bailey's 2004 season was simply terrible for a guy who made the Pro Bowl. He was near the bottom of the league in deep yards given up, deep completion percentage, most deep attempts, TDs allowed, completion percentage, total yardages and yards per attempt.

KC's stats were comprehensive and overwhelming. Bailey was targeted and beaten often last year. He gave up seven TDs and six plays more than 25 yards! Here are KC's words on Bailey, "You simply cannot tell me that all of these plays were due to other people in the Broncos secondary blowing coverages, especially since John Lynch was voted to the Pro Bowl. Even if they did blow some coverages, wouldn't you expect Bailey to do better than this in man-up coverage?"

Fantasy owners who see Bailey covering their receiver should not be overly worried if his performance doesn't dramatically improve."

And then there's short barb from Dr. Z:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ.../mailbag/1.html

"Mike of Casselberry, Fla., wonders where all the Champ Bailey hype is coming from. The same place. The empty heads who are talking when they should be watching. Champ was a target for deep passes last year."

404738[/snapback]

I'll agree that Champ Baily is one of the most overrated players in the league...but the stuff you quote from Dr. Z (a guy I respect) doesn't support that Clements is a top 5 CB, just that Baily isn't. I agree with Sullivan that Clements is not an "elite" corner right now. Clements has only had one year where his play was top flight (last year). Consistancy is what sperates the top dogs and the guys on the level just below them, I want to see Clements do it again before I'll consider him one of the top corners in the league.

Personally I think you droped the ball a perfect lamp would've been a silent thread for your 300th post.... oh well you always have something to look foward to when you hit 1000

404932[/snapback]

Good idea... I will keep that in mind for the future.

Did I mention, by the way that I have never watched Lost or Entourage, nor do I think Scarlett Johanson is fat, that Tom Donahoe is neither genius nor demon, and that Kirk could kick Picard's butt from Vulcan to Wrigley's Pleasure Planet without even having to adjust his toupee...?

I think that about covers things, and will now return to the shadows....

I have a hard time picturing an $18M signing bonus coming from TD. Just because Bailey is overpaid doesn't mean we should overpay Clements.

I couldn't find a list of potential 2006 FA CBs, yet, but, I am sure there will be someone at a smaller cap hit who could do the job. Just like Fletcher did for Cowart and Vincent was supposed to do until McGee developed into a starter.

I would rather have depth than a star, anyway...

With all do respect to Jerry Sullivan, I think he should look at the games Nate had against AFC Pro Bowl WRs Chad Johnson and Hines Ward last season before he dismisses him as an elite CB.

Incase you were wondering, he held both to 2 catches and a yard per catch below 6 yards.

Call me a homer but I easily put Nate as one of the 10 best CBs in the league.

404833[/snapback]

Top 10?

I'd say top 4 in my opinion. Here is my list of top 4 corners in the league in no specific order.

Nate Clements

Chris Mccallister

Charles Woodson

Ty Law

How far am I off from what everyone else thinks?

t-r

Just a question, what if the Jacksonville and Pittsburgh game were played in reversed order,with the JAX game being played last. Would we still all love Nate so much after that 4th down catch? Or would that play have been the end of him in Buffalo?

Every cb in the league lets up plays. If all anyone can recall is 2 plays from a season where a cb was not on top of his game as "proof" he's not elite I'd hate to see what people would say about any other cb in the league. Clements is 25 years old, and will only get better. Once again there is no Shawn Springs in free agency next year to come in and replace clements a luxury washington had picking up a better cb than chump bailey in free agency. There is simply no alternative other than to pay Nate.

Just a question, what if the Jacksonville and Pittsburgh game were played in reversed order,with the JAX game being played last. Would we still all love Nate so much after that 4th down catch? Or would that play have been the end of him in Buffalo?

405064[/snapback]

he didn't blow that coverage -- the coverage was flawless. as i've said many times before, it's about time that some people give jimmy smith -- one of the best i've ever seen -- some credit. and clements too, not only for the good coverage, but for the great int he made earlier in the game when he ripped the ball from smith's hands. it happened deep in jaguars territory, and led to the bills only td that day. how easy it is for people to forget.

*snip

I read that earlier. What's funny about that article is that Mr. Sullivan doesn't mention the depth we have at corner that wouldn't necessitate the re-signing of Clements. If Nate is gone, then who do we have? McGee might turn out to be a stud but what about the other side?

He's an idiot who needed to spout w/o putting much thought on the matter.