the most blame for this loss?

Sorry folks, but someone here has to raise the bar for our starting QB and supposed team leader. Bledsoe only turned the ball over once, he was only sacked once, he generally got rid of the ball quicker, and he generally did a better job of scanning the field for his receivers. Congratulations, Drew.

Now look at the score board. Only 10 points. Only 1 touchdown. Few sustained drives of any considerable length. Countless 3rd down opportunities wasted. Several opportunities, in particular, wasted toward the end of the game to burn time off the clock and keep our tired D off the field.

I don't mean to go off on yet another TBD anti-Drew crusade; I just want to point out that lately here we have really lowered our standards for this QB in question. If we truly want the playoffs this season, then we should demand more from Drew. Super Bowl caliber teams have QB's who rise to the occasion - especially in the final quarter and in the final drive - to WIN a game rather than NOT LOSE IT.

Based on last year, a lot of posters here seem to believe that the first week of the season has zero relevance. I disagree. I think today's game will prove to set the tone for the rest of this season - a lot of low-scoring, close games that more often than not end up as losses because our team has taken on the personality of Drew Bledsoe, a man of great character and dedication who nevertheless doesn't have "IT" - that special something people here have called "heart" but which I think of more as "confidence." Maybe JP Losman has it, but Drew doesn't.

Prove me wrong, Drew...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry folks, but someone here has to raise the bar for our starting QB and supposed team leader. Bledsoe only turned the ball over once, he was only sacked once, he generally got rid of the ball quicker, and he generally did a better job of scanning the field for his receivers. Congratulations, Drew.

Now look at the score board. Only 10 points. Only 1 touchdown. Few sustained drives of any considerable length. Countless 3rd down opportunities wasted. Several opportunities, in particular, wasted toward the end of the game to burn time off the clock and keep our tired D off the field.

I don't mean to go off on yet another TBD anti-Drew crusade; I just want to point out that lately here we have really lowered our standards for this QB in question. If we truly want the playoffs this season, then we should demand more from Drew. Super Bowl caliber teams have QB's who rise to the occasion - especially in the final quarter and in the final drive - to WIN a game rather than NOT LOSE IT.

Based on last year, a lot of posters here seem to believe that the first week of the season has zero relevance. I disagree. I think today's game will prove to set the tone for the rest of this season - a lot of low-scoring, close games that more often than not end up as losses because our team has taken on the personality of Drew Bledsoe, a man of great character and dedication who nevertheless doesn't have "IT" - that special something people here have called "heart" but which I think of more as "confidence." Maybe JP Losman has it, but Drew doesn't.

Prove me wrong, Drew...

28330[/snapback]

My only problem with your position is that the play calling in the 4th called for 7 straight running plays to close the game. That is not Drew fault.

I nkow the Stats say Bledsoe fumbles but......That fumble was on the play and moulds more then Bledsoe.....Bledsoe gets the "fumble" cause it was a backward pass that moulds flat out dropped(never had position)....I agree Bledsoe has go tto step up but this isnt the game i would move this arguement with...Bledsoe got the passes to his recievers....they dropped the passes, they fumbled...

One thing i think Bledsoe lacks is he doesnt show that fire(that he showed in 2002)...I think with success that fire will come back...and the Bledsoe Bashers will be eating alot of crow this season.....

Prove me wrong, Drew...

28330[/snapback]

You may be too critical with this post. Remember Trent Dilfer and some lesser QBs own Super Bowl rings. In my opinion the real perpetrator is Moulds and his two fumbles. The one was a killer. Also, the offensive line, we had 1st down on 3 yard line and once again we couldn't pound it in behind that fat slob, Mike Williams. I real bust at this point. In addition, where is Coy Wire on the 4th and 16 play, and as matter of fact, the rest of the game. Our tight ends are useless as well. Really, there is not much talent on this team to speak of.

You may be too critical with this post. Remember Trent Dilfer and some lesser QBs own Super Bowl rings.  In my opinion the real perpetrator is Moulds and his two fumbles. The one was a killer. Also, the offensive line, we had 1st down on 3 yard line and once again we couldn't pound it in behind that fat slob, Mike Williams. I real bust at this point. In addition, where is Coy Wire on the 4th and 16 play, and as matter of fact, the rest of the game. Our tight ends are useless as well. Really, there is not much talent on this team to speak of.

28341[/snapback]

I'm not sure where Coy Wire was, but I think it should be mentioned that on a 4th and Long Play, if there is one WR on the Jags that should be double covered, Smith would be the guy...I'm sure the Bills had at least 6 DB's on the Field for that Play, and I know Nate is our top DB, but I sure would have liked to see a Safety come over the top to knock that damn ball down... <_<

Oh well...

QBs are important in this game, but certainly not all important. Nledsoe deserves his share ofthe blame for the loss, but following your own title for this thread, I think it is pretty farfetched and bad analysis to saddle him with the most blame for the loss.

There were any number of critical plays by individual players which hurt the Bills and were the difference in the final score and I would not label Bledsoe as one of those individuals.

If you are going to expand consideration beyond the individual fauz pas's of players like Lindell, the feel free to also expand consideration to the play calling if you want to be accurate in your analysis and bring Clements and MM into consideration.

Consideration of their failings certainly doesn't let Bledsoe off the hook, he needed to perform better and our O was anemic at best, but if accuracy is what you're after you gotta look beyond Bledsoe for diagnosing out ills.

Damn straight!

I'm sick and tired of blaming the actual players who's mistakes caused these arrested drives. From now on, its all Drew's fault no matter what.

For example, when Moulds fumbles inside the five yard line, it will be Drew's fault! After all, why wasn't he down there after delivering the ball to Moulds to block for Eric and recover that damn fumble?

Or when Nuefeld (or Shaw or Campbell) fails to hang onto a third down pass that would have sustained a drive, it will be Drew's fault for not stickying up the ball first!

Or when Villarial holds on a first down run at a crucial time, blame Chris?? Hell no! Blame Drew. Why wasn't he helping out on the block so Villarial didn't have to hold?

Or when our kicker misses an 41 yard field goal, it was Drew's fault for not kicking it himself (or maybe he should have said a prayer first?).

And the next time we run on 3rd and 12, which happened twice in the game and we don't make it, that is definitley going to be Drew's fault for handing the damn ball off to begin with.

And the next time Drew listens to Clements when he calls a reverse when Villarial has once again let his man into the backfield before the hand-off is barely made, I am going to personally go out there and kick Drew in the nuts.

Oh, and the next time we have first and goal at the three, and we can only gain one yard on first and second down, I want Shane Mathews in there on third down just out of principle!

And btw, that turnover credited to Drew was actually a lateral pass that Moulds only made the most half-assed attempt to catch and no attempt to cover. But once again, that should be all on Drew.

And finally, the next time Travis Henry sets up the wrong way on a screen pass, Drew needs to be taken out back and shot in the head for being too stupid to live.

I'm not sure where Coy Wire was, but I think it should be mentioned that on a 4th and Long Play, if there is one WR on the Jags that should be double covered, Smith would be the guy...I'm sure the Bills had at least 6 DB's on the Field for that Play, and I know Nate is our top DB, but I sure would have liked to see a Safety come over the top to knock that damn ball down... <_<

Oh well...

28352[/snapback]

They had the two safeties, inlcuding Wire, standing at about the 10 yard line as that play was lined up and run! I don't know how many DB's they had on that play, but where they had Coy lined up would have made it a bit difficult for him to be a major factor on tha play.

Blaming Drew Bledsoe is god damn stupid......Villarial would be in the process of being run out of town if the coach was around=but it was not his fault either....The god damn defense played soft for 3 freakin quarters and it bit them in the ass in the end thanks to a referee who just wanted to take the easy way out all freakin day long......Bledsoe played exactly the role that the coaches wanted him to...travis and willis too.....the offensive line was not "offensive"....the defense was terrific when they were allowed to be aggresive... the fault lies with that man-boobs holdover jerry gray......................that dumb g.d. bastard leftwich couldn't handle pressure all freakin day and when it came to crunch time that stupid stevestojan eating !@#$ gray only rushed 3......he learned his craft from the master...man boobs......just like the offense was made much worse by that dickwad gilbride the defense is suffering again with man boobs protege Gray..........did Lebeau want too much dough from old Ralphie or what??? He was obviously the brains behind our excellent defense last year.

Prove me wrong, Drew...

28330[/snapback]

I think maybe you're right about the spark lacking in Bledsoe, but today he executed the game plan as presented. I don't recall him going to an audible at all. In fact, I felt he was reigned in a bit too much. Where was the long ball? Not once did we go deep. The offense was so conservative Bledsoe was made a non-factor. Don't let him bomb away, but let him attempt a few down the field throws. That's always been his strength anyway. Maybe the coaches were worried that the pass protection wouldn't hold up, but dag, you've got to try to keep the defense honest. I like pounding the ball, and it appeared in the 4th we were on our way until that damned holding call on Villarial. Went from in field goal range with a 1st & 10, to a third and 11. Surely that wasn't Bledsoe's fault.

The two plays Bledsoe pissed me off with were the WR screen to Moulds. Read the damn D Drew, they were waiting for it, they were there, and he threw it anyway. Bad play call to boot by Clements as he had just showed that a few plays earlier with the fake. That, and I still believe the FB swing at the goal line was there and he gave up on it too soon and went looking for a WR or whatever. But we had a fair number of drops and fumbles, so there was plenty of blame to go around besides laying it all on Drew.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

RIAN LINDELL.

You are in a position to kick a 42-yard FG on a clear, mild, perfect day, and you miss it, and then...

...because you have NO CONFIDENCE in your kicker in making a perfectly make-able field goal to go up by 7, you PUNT THE BALL instead.

If it WASN'T LINDELL missing that FG earlier, we would have WON by 3 or have gone to OT.

HE DIDN'T show up for work today... the liability I had feared bit us on the a$$ in the FIRST FREAKIN GAME!!!!!

Bledsoe was sharp today, BTW. He doesn't drop passes.

All valid points, and I agree that many aspects of today's game made it difficult to distinguish who was more to blame for the inept offense - Mularkey and the O coaches, Moulds, Reed (where WAS he?), the offensive line, or Bledsoe.

However, aside from the details of this individual game, I think what I'm really trying to get at is that - deep down and perhaps subconsciously - this offense and team in general has little faith in their QB (based on his play in the past year and a half), and it is showing through their less than inspired play at various critical points of games. The rest of the team feels like they have to play perfect or else they will lose. Thus, you see this offense coming apart at the strings when bad things happen and you see this defense folding at the end of the game when their already herculean efforts for 59.75 minutes are never enough to secure a simple victory.

Playoff-caliber QB's can manufacture this missing confidence out of nowhere. If a QB is easily susceptible to losing confidence in himself - like Drew admitted last year - how is the rest of the team supposed to react to this?

Drew is a nice guy, but pretty soon we are going to figure out that it's time we get someone in there who will always believe in himself no matter the circumstances. Unwaveringly cocky SOB's like Kelly, Favre, and perhaps Losman don't always make the best friends, the best spouses, the best all-around human beings, etc... but they make for some DAMN good QB's.

All valid points, and I agree that many aspects of today's game made it difficult to distinguish who was more to blame for the inept offense - Mularkey and the O coaches, Moulds, Reed (where WAS he?), the offensive line, or Bledsoe.

However, aside from the details of this individual game, I think what I'm really trying to get at is that - deep down and perhaps subconsciously - this offense and team in general has little faith in their QB (based on his play in the past year and a half), and it is showing through their less than inspired play at various critical points of games. The rest of the team feels like they have to play perfect or else they will lose. Thus, you see this offense coming apart at the strings when bad things happen and you see this defense folding at the end of the game when their already herculean efforts for 59.75 minutes are never enough to secure a simple victory.

Playoff-caliber QB's can manufacture this missing confidence out of nowhere. If a QB is easily susceptible to losing confidence in himself - like Drew admitted last year - how is the rest of the team supposed to react to this?

Drew is a nice guy, but pretty soon we are going to figure out that it's time we get someone in there who will always believe in himself no matter the circumstances. Unwaveringly cocky SOB's like Kelly, Favre, and perhaps Losman don't always make the best friends, the best spouses, the best all-around human beings, etc... but they make for some DAMN good QB's.

28378[/snapback]

Ahhhh, OK. Now I see your point!

It's not that Drew can directly control the mistakes made by his teammates, but that he actually has, indirectly, psychologically produced these mistakes in them. So Travis was so preoccupied with whether Drew can actually lead them to victory, he doesn't remember for which side of the field the current play has been called. Moulds is so burdened with Drew's lack of ability that he can't hold onto the ball even when Drew throws a perfect pass to him. The O-line is so traumatized by Drew's poor play over the past year and a half, they just can't muster the strength to get our RBs more than a yard at a time inside the opponent's three yard line, or is that the RBs are so depressed with Drew's rather uninspired play and leadership that even though the holes are there, they just can't muster the strength to run through them and score a TD?

Perhaps the whole team is need of antidepressants and it's all Drew's fault?

RIAN LINDELL.

...because you have NO CONFIDENCE in your kicker in making a perfectly make-able field goal to go up by 7, you PUNT THE BALL instead.

Bledsoe was sharp today, BTW. He doesn't drop passes.

28376[/snapback]

I wouldn't exactly call a 51 yard field-goal perfectly makeable. Even Vanderjagt misses one occasionally beyond 46 yards.

Also, we shouldn't compare the success of "play-to-not-lose" guys in the past like Dilfer because often those type of QB's have absolutely dominant defenses, not just very good ones like we have here in Buffalo.

Mularkey and Co had a very conservative gameplan today, so I will concede that they played a huge role in what I thought were Bledsoe's failings.

28378[/snapback]

ug. This is terrible.

First, you're throwing Losman's name into a list with Kelly and Favre? Because he was cocky in college? Great, so was Ryan Leaf...and until Losman proves something he's got no business in that list. You think being a cocky SOB makes you a good quarterback?

Second, what the hell do you mean Kelly and Favre don't necessarily make the "best friends" or "best spouses" or are not the "best all around human beings" ? Are you trying to tell me Kelly and Favre aren't good spouses? Aren't good people? Don't make good friends? What in the HELL are you talking about?

By this post you are telling me you need a cocky SOB to win a SB?

Does Tom Brady strike you as a cocky SOB? How about Brad Johnson? How about Kurt Warner? How about Trent Dilfer?

Those are your last 5 SB winning QBs...and not a single one has the reputation you're trying to push.

just a ridiculous post.

Ahhhh, OK.  Now I see your point!

It's not that Drew can directly control the mistakes made by his teammates, but that he actually has, indirectly, psychologically produced these mistakes in them.  So Travis was so preoccupied with whether Drew can actually lead them to victory, he doesn't remember for which side of the field the current play has been called.  Moulds is so burdened with Drew's lack of ability that he can't hold onto the ball even when Drew throws a perfect pass to him.  The O-line is so  traumatized by Drew's poor play over the past year and a half, they just can't muster the strength to get our RBs more than a yard at a time inside the opponent's three yard line, or is that the RBs are so depressed with Drew's rather uninspired play and leadership that even though the holes are there, they just can't muster the strength to run through them and score a TD?

Perhaps the whole team is need of antidepressants and it's all Drew's fault?

28392[/snapback]

Nice perspective, and I agree. Yet, Bledsoe does seem at times to lack the fire, the self confidence., the will. I kind of see K Helmut's point, but Drew didn't lose this game.

The two plays Bledsoe pissed me off with were the WR screen to Moulds. Read the damn D Drew, they were waiting for it, they were there, and he threw it anyway.  Bad play call to boot by Clements as he had just showed that a few plays earlier with the fake. That, and I still believe the FB swing at the goal line was there and he gave up on it too soon and went looking for a WR or whatever.  But we had a fair number of drops and fumbles, so there was plenty of blame to go around besides laying it all on Drew.

28375[/snapback]

Watch SportsCenter tonight or in the morning...they showed the play from a different angle then shown in the game....you can see the LB and DE jump the pass lane(to Shelton) once they saw the ball wasnt handed off to Henry....Yes Bledsoe could of zipped it in there....but if he throws a pick there trying to force it....were out 3 points and possible INT TD going the other way...

Watch SportsCenter tonight or in the morning...they showed the play from a different angle then shown in the game....you can see the LB and DE jump the pass lane(to Shelton) once they saw the ball wasnt handed off to Henry....Yes Bledsoe could of zipped it in there....but if he throws a pick there trying to force it....were out 3 points and possible INT TD going the other way...

28401[/snapback]

yeah, if you listen to the post game interview that's exactly what he says...was more concerned about giving up an INT on a forced pass.

I actually blame the play call on that more than anything. The best we've got on a 3rd and goal is a screen pass to Damion Sheldon? I'd rather have just given it another go w/ McGahee at the line...at least it would have burned more time off the clock which turned out to be vital at the end of the game.