who so far is the stand out

mead107

The standouts are the ones you know about. Moulds made a superb catch today that makes you think he's all that. On defense, McGee broke up 2 would-be catches, so I'll give the other game ball to him.

I saw four less-well-known players who helped further their cause on the field today:

1. Fast Freddie Smith made some super catches.

2. George Wilson made a beautiful catch which would have gone the distance. He's showing us George Wilson's not just Dennis the Menace's neighbor.

3. Daimon Shelton is kicking serious butt out there as our FB. Goldsberry isn't showing anything, and looked poor in the pass-blocking department, so there's a deep dropoff at FB after Shelton (don't say Burns).

4. I really thought Wendell Hunter LB made a strong case for himself this past week. He has stiff competition but could land on the PS.

Wilson has good size (6' and 210#) and since outside of Moulds (who's getting long in the tooth) and Aiken (who seems to be playing himself out of a job) the rest of them are sub-6', that's needed. He's also got decent speed (4.5). I wonder what happened to Tony Brown?

Edited by MadBuffaloDisease

Tony Brown is still there, but not distinguishing himself. In fact, I'd have to say if you let me rank the WR's based on in-camp performance, the order is

Moulds

Evans

Parrish

Aiken

Wilson

F.F. Smith

Haddad

Reed

Peoples

Brown

The standouts are the ones you know about. Moulds made a superb catch today that makes you think he's all that. On defense, McGee broke up 2 would-be catches, so I'll give the other game ball to him.

I saw four less-well-known players who helped further their cause on the field today:

1. Fast Freddie Smith made some super catches.

2. George Wilson made a beautiful catch which would have gone the distance. He's showing us George Wilson's not just Dennis the Menace's neighbor.

3. Daimon Shelton is kicking serious butt out there as our FB. Goldsberry isn't showing anything, and looked poor in the pass-blocking department, so there's a deep dropoff at FB after Shelton (don't say Burns).

4. I really thought Wendell Hunter LB made a strong case for himself this past week. He has stiff competition but could land on the PS.

402333[/snapback]

Interesting to hear your interest on Hunter. I am persuaded by the observations of the poster who pointed out that his examination of the scrimmage videotape in detail showed how Posey was being employed at OLB in a position he dubbed "the keeper" which had the OLB line up on theDL, and from his read of the offense either drop back in pass coverage or blitz.

This made sense to me because this type of use would not show up in the stat column nor is it apparent to the casual (over even most more than casual observers like myself). Posey is clearly deemed by the braintrust be a valued and used player as he has gotten 16 straight starts and plenty of PT with not a whiff of complaints from inside the Bills that Posey was not doing his job.

While even some thoughtful and knowledgable posters on TSW have complained about him turning the wrong way or made other the complaints about his play. These complaints have simply not been borne out in a lack of overall success by the D or in the guy we believe Posey is covering scoring TDs or getting big gains.

The conclusion I make from this is that Posey is probably doing something right that even close fan observers cannot see right away and which does not emerge in the stats.

The observer noted good performance by Posey in this "keeper" role which does square with the D performance and results.

Of even greater interest to this overly football committed mind, he noted that the back-up to Posey in this "keeper" role was none other than Ryan Denney who he also felt played well in the scrimmage.

This observation also runs completely counter to the conventional wisdom held by many TSW partisans that Denny sucks.

However, this analysis is consistent with the fact the Bills went through all of last season with only 3 DEs and a heavy DL rotation. If Denney in fact sucked so bad (some have even argued he will or should be cut after this pre-season) then how do thay explain that he was used so much in a statistically successful D. Why wasn;t this "obviously" weak link picked on mercilessly and effectively by opposing OCs.

The answer was that when TD and Gray refer to Denney as being virtually a co-starter with Kelsay they are not merely being kind or covering their asses after trading up for Denney, but actually this is how he is used and has played well in our D.

Ask yourself the question why did a good player like Phat Pat only line-up for less than 2/3 of the snaps last year. Thus is in part explained by him always coming out on 3rd down, but even the 3 downs are not divided equally among Bills snaps. it was noted that on many plays in the scrimmage the Bills actually only line up 1 DT and actually three DEs playing. When your one DT is ogten Pro Bowl stud Sam Adams, this why Phat Pat was sitting a lot more often than you would expect a starting DT to sit.

The Hunter observation made in this post is interesting because when looking at the zone-blitz in a new light and new scheme than normal 4-3 positioning and thinking, I do wonder who are plan C for this keeper role.

Perhaps it is Stamer who showed some good athleticism last year on the INT he tipped and actually caught. Perhaps it is Schobel who actually has shown good athleticism in addition to being our best sack artist. However, if you observe Hunter doing well maybe he does stick with this team as a reserve who can ultimately or in case of disaster play that "keeper" role.

I will be keeping an eye on him. The thing that will probably get him unto our PS is how well he seems to do reading plays and the thing which might pull off the incredible longshot of him making the roster is if he shows good ST chops.

The real animal in blitz practice today (the D was practicing rushing Mouse McNally--very fun target--and the O was practicing blitz-blocking) was Stamer, who obliterated his blocker (I'm pretty sure it was Shaud Williams) and Hunter also caught my eye.

VERY possible these guys get in there vs. the Colts. If you don't see it, they may save it for the Texans.