(LAMP)Hey Braintrust, anyone have any good...

resources for learning creative writing, outside of college courses?  just casual instructions?  can anyone point me in a good direction?  are there any good books out there?  thanks in advance.

401790[/snapback]

There's two ways to learn how to write -- read lots, and write lots. That's about it... No book can "teach" you how to write, it's simply an iterative process. Keep in mind that 90% of your time will be revising what you've already written; nobody writes a good first draft.

You can usually find some creative writing groups that you could join to help with the editing portion. Basically a group of people get together at a coffee shop or book store or whatever and you critique everybody's writing. You MUST remember that they're critiquing your WRITING, and not YOU. Lots of people have trouble with this distinction.

If you want me to read anything you write, let me know. I've taken a few fiction writing classes in college (as electives) and I'm not half bad. The professor wanted me to work in IT for a couple of years, save my money, then quit and write fulltime. I enjoy writing, but I'm not into the "starving artist" thing. :doh:

CW