Just finished breaking down the tape......

sven233

OK, I'm back with my final review of the scrimmage tonight. For those that were a part of the scrimmage thread, I called a lot of the action and made some observations along the way. But I said I had the right to change my mind after breaking down the tape. So here it is. It isn't real in deapth, but will answer many of your questions. Here goes:

OFFENSE - Unofficial Results

QB

JP 6 of 11 - looked in complete control for the most part. Had 1 really bad pass that should have been picked and returned for a TD. Very bad decision. Otherwise, he looked comfortable and confident and made the right reads. Although he missed some throws, outside of the 1 bonehead throw, he made the right reads. Said he was sacked once, but it seemed to me he could have avoided that rush.

Holcombe 3 of 4 Looked very sharp. Very consistant. Not really much else to say.

Matthews 5 of 6 with 1 TD to Wilson. Again, very efficient and no bad plays. Looked very comfortable. What you expect from a vet like him.

Woodburry 2 of 2 with 1 TD. The TD was to Ceislac (sp?) It will be interesting to see him play more. Wasn't out there long enough for an evaluation, but for the time he was in there, I didn't really see a mistake. Not only did he throw for a touchdown, but ran one in on a playfake bootleg. GREAT FAKE, by the way.

Overall, the QB play was very good all night! Good signs!

WR

Catches - Moulds 1, Evans 0 (but had a great reverse play that went for a lot of yardage on opening play. May have been a penalty call on the play, but it was still pretty), Parrish 3 (he was the highlight of the night. Nobody can cover this guy. Had a reverse as well that went for very good yardage. He will be something special and will, NO DOUBT, be our # 3. A great performance), Lee 2, Neufeld 1, Reed1, Campbell 2, Aiken 1, Haddad 1, Smith 1, Wilson 1 (TD), Peoplles 1, Ceislac (sp?) 1 (TD)

Overall, a good performance by all the WRs. Again, SCOE can't be covered!!!! Watch out!

DEFENSE

All QBs combined were 11 of 28.

The defense came up with 10 "sacks". Now, I know in a scrimage they blow the whistle before the sack happens, but honestly, at least 7 of those would have been legit. Possibly more.

The real meat and potatoes of the evaluation is this.......BLITZ, BLITZ, BLITZ, and BLITZ again. I didn't count, but I would bet about 70% (at least) of the plays the Packers ran, the Bills blitzed. They had constant pressure all night!

I thought they were a little soft against the run watching it the first time, but after reviewing the tape, outside of 2 runs, they were stuffing the Packers.

My only concern about the defense was their goal line D. During those drills, GB's WRs were getting wide open and they gave up all of their touchdowns by air (except the last which they fumbled and recovered in the endzone) and they all came during goal line drills. NOT GOOD AT ALL. But like I said when I was calling the action, I hope this keeps them humble and they will work 10X as hard not to allow this to happen again. Overall, all of our defense was dominant. The GB offense didn't get anything done!

FINAL SCORE (assuming all extra points were made.....BIG IF)

Bills 49

Packers 28

A little missleading because again, the Pack didn't move the ball at all. They got all of their points inside the 5. O well.......Here is how the scoring went for the Bills:

McGee - would have scored on the opening kickoff. Nobody touched him and they blew the whistle when he was in the clear.

McGahee - 13 yard run

McGahee - 6 yard run (they called him down at the 1 foot line, but after watching it again, I believe he did score)

Lee - 1 yard run

Wilson - 20 yard reception from Matthews (very nice)

Ceislac (sp?) - 4 yard Reception from Woodburry

Woodburry - 2 yard run

So, that sums up the scrimage. I took notes while watching it the second time. Here are the notes:

Evans reverse for huge yardage on opening play (holding penalty on ?)

McGahee is a beast. Looks faster and quicker (LAID OUT A DB WITH HIS STIFF ARM........Fantastic to watch)

O - Line pass blocked well. However, they got no push at the line of scrimmage, especially inside the 5. No push at all. That was the only worry about the O - Line tonight. Otherwise, I thought they did well.

Morman was solid.

Again, more trouble run blocking. McGahee did it by himself for the most part.

Greer had a nice game. Made some great plays including a downed punt at the 1.

Stamer had a great game.

1 Terrible pass by Losman. Otherwise, he played well.

JP had a score if he decided to scramble on 1 play, but instead overthrew a pass.

Again, no push from the O - Line in goalline drills.

Greer caused a Green Fumble that the Bills would have recovered. Nice game.

Bills were blitzing almost every play!!!! About 75% at least!

McGee got smoked on the 1st TD the Packers got.

Linebackers (#55) got smoked on the second TD the Packers got.

Overall, the Bills' goalline D need a lot of work. Good run stuffing, but terrible in the pass.

Parrish will be a key man this year. He was constantly open and is super fast and quick. Really nothing that we didn't know already, but he was undressing guys tonight. It was something.

As for the RBs - McGahee is a beast, Lee was OK, Williams was good, Burns was not, and Gates looked very impressive overall. Look for him to move up the deapth chart!

Anyways, there is my in deapth scrimmage review!!!! I hope you all enjoyed it. Please feel free sto reply and let me know what you all thought!!!

OK, I'm back with my final review of the scrimmage tonight.  For those that were a part of the scrimmage thread, I called a lot of the action and made some observations along the way.  But I said I had the right to change my mind after breaking down the tape.  So here it is.  It isn't real in deapth, but will answer many of your questions.  Here goes:

OFFENSE - Unofficial Results

QB

JP  6 of 11 - looked in complete control for the most part.  Had 1 really bad pass that should have been picked and returned for a TD.  Very bad decision.  Otherwise, he looked comfortable and confident and made the right reads.  Although he missed some throws, outside of the 1 bonehead throw, he made the right reads.  Said he was sacked once, but it seemed to me he could have avoided that rush.

Holcombe 3 of 4  Looked very sharp.  Very consistant.  Not really much else to say.

Matthews 5 of 6 with 1 TD to Wilson.  Again, very efficient and no bad plays.  Looked very comfortable.  What you expect from a vet like him.

Woodburry 2 of 2 with 1 TD.  The TD was to Ceislac (sp?) It will be interesting to see him play more.  Wasn't out there long enough for an evaluation, but for the time he was in there, I didn't really see a mistake.  Not only did he throw for a touchdown, but ran one in on a playfake bootleg.  GREAT FAKE, by the way.

Overall, the QB play was very good all night!  Good signs!

WR

Catches - Moulds 1, Evans 0 (but had a great reverse play that went for a lot of yardage on opening play.  May have been a penalty call on the play, but it was still pretty), Parrish 3 (he was the highlight of the night.  Nobody can cover this guy.  Had a reverse as well that went for very good yardage.  He will be something special and will, NO DOUBT, be our # 3.  A great performance), Lee 2, Neufeld 1, Reed1, Campbell 2, Aiken 1, Haddad 1, Smith 1, Wilson 1 (TD), Peoplles 1, Ceislac (sp?) 1 (TD)

Overall, a good performance by all the WRs.  Again, SCOE can't be covered!!!!  Watch out!

DEFENSE

All QBs combined were 11 of 28.

The defense came up with 10 "sacks".  Now, I know in a scrimage they blow the whistle before the sack happens, but honestly, at least 7 of those would have been legit.  Possibly more. 

The real meat and potatoes of the evaluation is this.......BLITZ, BLITZ, BLITZ, and BLITZ again.  I didn't count, but I would bet about 70% (at least) of the plays the Packers ran, the Bills blitzed.  They had constant pressure all night! 

I thought they were a little soft against the run watching it the first time, but after reviewing the tape, outside of 2 runs, they were stuffing the Packers.

My only concern about the defense was their goal line D.  During those drills, GB's WRs were getting wide open and they gave up all of their touchdowns by air (except the last which they fumbled and recovered in the endzone) and they all came during goal line drills.  NOT GOOD AT ALL.  But like I said when I was calling the action, I hope this keeps them humble and they will work 10X as hard not to allow this to happen again.  Overall, all of our defense was dominant.  The GB offense didn't get anything done!

FINAL SCORE (assuming all extra points were made.....BIG IF)

Bills 49

Packers 28

A little missleading because again, the Pack didn't move the ball at all.  They got all of their points inside the 5.  O well.......Here is how the scoring went for the Bills:

McGee - would have scored on the opening kickoff.  Nobody touched him and they blew the whistle when he was in the clear.

McGahee - 13 yard run

McGahee - 6 yard run (they called him down at the 1 foot line, but after watching it again, I believe he did score)

Lee - 1 yard run

Wilson - 20 yard reception from Matthews (very nice)

Ceislac (sp?) - 4 yard Reception from Woodburry

Woodburry - 2 yard run

So, that sums up the scrimage.  I took notes while watching it the second time.  Here are the notes:

Evans reverse for huge yardage on opening play (holding penalty on ?)

McGahee is a beast.  Looks faster and quicker (LAID OUT A DB WITH HIS STIFF ARM........Fantastic to watch)

O - Line pass blocked well.  However, they got no push at the line of scrimmage, especially inside the 5.  No push at all.  That was the only worry about the O - Line tonight.  Otherwise, I thought they did well.

Morman was solid.

Again, more trouble run blocking.  McGahee did it by himself for the most part.

Greer had a nice game.  Made some great plays including a downed punt at the 1.

Stamer had a great game.

1 Terrible pass by Losman.  Otherwise, he played well.

JP had a score if he decided to scramble on 1 play, but instead overthrew a pass.

Again, no push from the O - Line in goalline drills.

Greer caused a Green Fumble that the Bills would have recovered.  Nice game.

Bills were blitzing almost every play!!!!  About 75% at least!

McGee got smoked on the 1st TD the Packers got.

Linebackers (#55) got smoked on the second TD the Packers got.

Overall, the Bills' goalline D need a lot of work.  Good run stuffing, but terrible in the pass.

Parrish will be a key man this year.  He was constantly open and is super fast and quick.  Really nothing that we didn't know already, but he was undressing guys tonight.  It was something.

As for the RBs - McGahee is a beast, Lee was OK, Williams was good, Burns was not, and Gates looked very impressive overall.  Look for him to move up the deapth chart!

Anyways, there is my in deapth scrimmage review!!!!  I hope you all enjoyed it.  Please feel free sto reply and let me know what you all thought!!!

400618[/snapback]

Thanks so much for the recap sven, it is really appreciated. I live in Canada and could not watch this on tv like some people could so it was nice to read the in depth points that you had on the scrimage. I like the sound of McGahee doing well and JP atleast holding his own. Also impressed me that McGee would have had another TD off a kick off, sounds like he's left off where he did last season. Finally, I'm really amazed to hear about Parrish and how far he's come in such a short period of time. This guy is still a second rounder and i'm surprised he's makeing such a big impact in training camp. I've seen first rounders do much less. Well thanks again.

Very fair analysis sven. Losman was'nt great, but he looked calm and in control. He did make one bone headed play which should have been intercepted. He also probably should have tried to run for the TD when he scrambled in the red zone, because he forced the pass way over Josh Reed. But I was very satisfied with his play tonight.

Roscoe Parrish was everywhere tonight, I can not wait to see him getting more playing time. I think we have great depth at WR.

Our Running Back depth is going to be very good too. Shaud Williams, ReShard Lee, & Lionel Gates look very good.

Mike Mularkey definitely sent a message to the NFL tonight. On the first play from scrimmage they call a reverse that went for great yardage, which unfortunately was called back because of penalty.

The defense was blitzing constantly tonight, and was very successful.

The Bills are going to be a very aggressive team this year.

Some of the back-up players that made impressions:

LB Wendell Hunter. Showed good speed on the blitz.

DE Uyi Osunde. Fast on the tackles.

LB Liam Ezekial. Had a pair of solid tackles.

TE Ryan Neufeld. Had a good catch and run which almost got him a TD.

S Jim Leonhard. Made a big hit and tackle late in the scrimmage.

LB Josh Stamer. Several tackles, very fast on the field.

OT Jason Peters. Looked very solid at LT, held his ground very well.

OL Jasen Esposito. Played Center with the 2nd unit, and did a good job anchoring the line.

Thats my take on the scrimmage.

The player's that really stood out from me beside the "norm" were:

Lionel Gates-Kinda of reminds me of Travis in a way but a little bit faster to the hole.

Parrish-All I can say is wow. He's faster than I thought. The ball that Matthews threw over his head and the dive to try to get to it impressed me the most.

Stamer-Looks very hungry and could possibly push Posey a little.

Woodbury-Was quite the pleasant suprise and I think he could possibly compete for the number three spot.

Jason Peters-Looked better to me than Gandy but it was the second string. Stayed with his blocks and didn't get beat.

Eric King-The nickel position could be his to win depending on the learning curve. He was all over man to man coverage.

One more thing that I noticed was how much depth we have on defense in every position. I will be interesting to watch our Defense line up against the Colts Offense.

Sven,

Just wanted to say thanks for the breakdown of the scrimmage. I'm in the military and I'm stationed in Japan. I haven't been able to see, hear, or read much of the Bills and your post surely helped. Thanks again.

SISTER

The thing that struck me was the overall speed of the team in all three phases of the game. The packers looked totally blind-sided through much of the play. This should be a really excting team to watch this year.

Not only that, I didn't see all that much of the sloppy play that is so common in initial scrimmages and preseason games. There were some miscues, which is to be expected, but for the most part they looked sharp. Remember, they'd only been in camp practicing for about 6 days prior to the scrimmage.

If our o-line can get the job done, look out. I think JP will make some mistakes, but I think he's got the tools to overcome them, and I think he has the support of the rest of the team.

This may be the year that the Donahoe/Modrak stamp is realized and their regime reaps the rewards following the "cap jail" struggles.

Thanks for the break down. I did not get a chance to watch last night, though I was following the scrimmage thread. It is amazing to see the dichotomy in perspective. To read these posts or the D&C article this morning, then read the AP report, it is like everyone was watchinng two different scrimmages...

I can' t wait for opening day!

Please remind me again what SCOE means?

thanks!

400644[/snapback]

ro 'scoe parrish

nice breakdown, thanks. some other reports say the official score was packers 33, bills 30. any idea what the discrepancy is?

these are some good stats from the game aside from the score:

Total yards: Bills 305, Packers 65. The Bills also led in first downs, 17-9, and held the Packers to just 23 yards rushing on 16 attempts for a 1.4 yard average.

One guy I thought who had a great scrimmage was Chris Kelsay. Packers RT Mark Tauscher could not block him. I was very impressed with his play last night.

I was mainly concentrating on Losman when the team was on offense and came away impressed with his play as well. Even on one of his worst plays of the night, which was the miss to Reed in the endzone, he still did something on the play I really liked. He got suprised by the rush of the edge, but stepped up and around Gandy, scrambled out of the pocket, and was still looking to throw instead of run. Now, he probably should've just ran it into the endzone, but that's not the point. He was forced to scramble, but still had the presence of mind to look for a WR downfield. Far too often, with a young QB, once they start scrambling, that's it, they're going to run come hell or high water even if there's three guys standing wide open in front of him downfield (and JP did do that on one earlier play). I saw a lot of little things like that in this scrimmage that make me pretty optimistic on his chances of becoming, at the least, a solid NFL starter.

JP was really 6 for 10, since that pass to Evans he missed on the first drive was at least holding, if not PI. It also could have been a TD. And the "almost INT" was bad, but it wasn't an INT and was a learning point for JP. Better to see him do that in pre-season.

And I thought Gandy looked REALLY good. Here is what KGB had to say about him:

"He[Gandy]'s looking good," Gbaja-Biamila said. "It was nice working with him. He has good hands, once he gets them on you. It was forcing me to be quicker. He's adjusting and doing things to cut off the corner. We're all learning out here."

I don't want to pump him up too much after a single scrimmage.....but I was impressed with JP's play action fakes. They were tremendous. A handful of times i thought Willis was running the ball and JP was in the backfield chucking downfield.

There was a lot of Sam Wyche's influence there.

I don't want to pump him up too much after a single scrimmage.....but I was impressed with JP's play action fakes.  They were tremendous.  A handful of times i thought Willis was running the ball and JP was in the backfield chucking downfield.

There was a lot of Sam Wyche's influence there.

I thought he was good, but it was hard to tell if it was really him or because the cameramen were fooled as well and followed the RB. :D

I think the main descrepencies in the scores were the fact that I counted McGee's opening kickoff return.....which I still think he would have scored on.....and I counted a 2 McGahee TD, that they didn't. After watching the tape and the play over again, I really think he crossed the goalline. I bet it would have been reviewd as a score. The other Packer points came from "fieldgoals". The Packers practiced about 3 or 4 attempts to get some work. However, the Bills (for whatever reason.......you got me especially with our kicker trouble) didn't try any. Maybe they knew that if he went out and missed the kicks, there would be some very big problems brewing.....just a thought.

Anyways, I appreciate your feedback. And to all of those who can't see this stuff, I and the rest of my fellow posters will try to keep you as informed as possible!!!