Best way to downtown DC from BWI?

BRH

I go to DC a couple of times a year for a board meeting and, though I get reimbursed, I try to keep the costs as low as possible. This time I wasn't able to get a decent fare into and out of National, so I'm going through BWI. (I tried Dulles once and that sucked.) What's the best, fastest, and most convenient way to get to downtown DC (near the White House) from BWI? I'm guessing the MARC train to Union Station and then the Metro. How's that trip? Any help from locals much appreciated. Thanks!

I go to DC a couple of times a year for a board meeting and, though I get reimbursed, I try to keep the costs as low as possible.  This time I wasn't able to get a decent fare into and out of National, so I'm going through BWI.  (I tried Dulles once and that sucked.)  What's the best, fastest, and most convenient way to get to downtown DC (near the White House) from BWI?  I'm guessing the MARC train to Union Station and then the Metro.  How's that trip?  Any help from locals much appreciated.  Thanks!

397814[/snapback]

That's probably your best bet. MARC into Union Station then METRO to where ever. I live here (Alexandria) and rarely drive into DC. The traffic is horrible, and parking is always an adventure. I use the METRO myself.

METRO Map

MARC Map

The downside is timing everything right, but it's cheaper than renting a car and putting up with the Balt-Wash Parkway or I-95, then having to find a place to park around Federal Triangle.

When I lived in Baltimore, that's how I got back and forth. A drive could be 1 1/4 hour one day and 4 hours the next.

That's probably your best bet. MARC into Union Station then METRO to where ever. I live here (Alexandria) and rarely drive into DC. The traffic is horrible, and parking is always an adventure. I use the METRO myself.

METRO Map

MARC Map

The downside is timing everything right, but it's cheaper than renting a car and putting up with the Balt-Wash Parkway or I-95, then having to find a place to park around Federal Triangle.

When I lived in Baltimore, that's how I got back and forth. A drive could be 1 1/4 hour one day and 4 hours the next.

397821[/snapback]

Driving directions into DC should always be accompanied by a prescription for a sedative of some sort.

Take the MARC train into Union Station. $6 each way. Only problem is they only run every 30mins during rush hour, and hourly the rest of the day.

Once at Union STation, the Metro will take you pretty much anywhere. Traffic into DC can be bad. It's probably worst on the Beltway, 66, and 95. BW Parkway is not too bad, but if you can live without a car, it's easier.

PTR

I just did this three weeks ago (in rush hour traffic both ways)

295 - Baltimore Washington Parkway, get off in Landover, park & ride, take the metro rail into Downtown DC.

Took less than 40 minutes each way

I go to DC a couple of times a year for a board meeting and, though I get reimbursed, I try to keep the costs as low as possible.  This time I wasn't able to get a decent fare into and out of National, so I'm going through BWI.  (I tried Dulles once and that sucked.)  What's the best, fastest, and most convenient way to get to downtown DC (near the White House) from BWI?  I'm guessing the MARC train to Union Station and then the Metro.  How's that trip?  Any help from locals much appreciated.  Thanks!

397814[/snapback]

MARC to Union Station, Red Line to Farragut North would probably be your best bet if you're not driving. If you're driving...well, when I drive it, I take 295 to 50 West into downtown, which may not be the quickest but is most likely the easiest, though there is something to be said for taking 95 to 495 to Connecticut south to downtown...

MARC to Union Station, Red Line to Farragut North would probably be your best bet if you're not driving.  If you're driving...well, when I drive it, I take 295 to 50 West into downtown, which may not be the quickest but is most likely the easiest, though there is something to be said for taking 95 to 495 to Connecticut south to downtown...

397864[/snapback]

I've ridden with him.

Stick with the xanax.

Thanks guys. All good suggestions. I'm actually considering the one about park & ride at Landover. That might allow me to get a hotel somewhere in MD (it's an overnight trip) without worrying about whether it's right next to a Metro stop.

That wasn't my fault and you know it.

397874[/snapback]

It's only a one way street depending on ones perspective, isn't it? If you're going down it, you're only going down it one way. I DO think all the headlights and lack of tail lights might have given one a clue, but...I wasn't driving.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested taking the service called SuperShuttle if you aere willing to take public transport.

I guess SuperShuttle is called formally a limo service though actually it is a van that you are sharing with up to 2 other destinations,

The service is available at a desk and waiting area in the midst of the BWI baggage claim area between the two areas they have conveyor belts for baggage. One can call their 800# and arrange ahead of time to meet your van or you can simply walk up and when they have three destinations your van leaves.

The advantages are that it is a airport to doorway service so that rather than you having to travel from the terminal to the MARC train and then from Union Station to your meeting site by Netro or cab you are taken straight to your mwwting site.

The disadvantage is that you share the ride with two other destinations and if you happen to be the third one it lengthens the trip time. However, my experience has been that this time is minimal as they put together the trips based on the 3 destinations being relatively common or at least right on the same route (for example, I have found it quite useful for going to unusal DC are locations such as Alexandria and all my trip sharers have a VA destination and for locales such as Annapolis.

The cost are much cheaper than a car rental if cost is an issue or a cab ride between BWI and DC.

I first used the SuperShuttle service at the SF airport and found it to be a great way to get from NWI to exactly the location in DC where I am heading.

They will also give you the 800# to arrange a pick-up at your meeting and take you back to BWI for a cost I have not done in awhile since I have had groups subsidize my travel and simply flown into National, but I often took SuperShuttle from BWI when I was traveling to DC on my own dime or airline anti-terror gymnatics made National an even bigger pain than normal.

What time would you be traveling? I left Fairfax, VA at 5:25 and parked before 6 AM near the Smithsonian metro stop. At 4:30 PM, by myself (so I can't use HOV roads like I-66), it takes about an hour to do those 19 miles.

Of course, my parking spot is reserved, so I don't have to worry about where to park.

The only times I've gone into MD during PM rush is on the way to WNY, and that generally sucks.

BWI express bus to Metro and then take metro downdown.

Metro now offers BWI Express Metro bus service between BWI and the Greenbelt metro station. The service provides a direct connection between BWI and the Greenbelt Metro Station. The BWI Express/B30 service runs every 40 minutes, 7 days a week to the Greenbelt Metro Station, which is located on the Green Line of the Washington Metro System. Buses run 25 times each weekday and 21 times on Saturdays and Sunday, every 40 minutes. The fee for this bus is less than $3. For more information call 202-637-7000 or go to www.wmata.com

I have taken the bus a couple of times. Sure beats $10+ a day parking.

You know, one thing lost on everyone. He is traveling overnight, gonna have bags and likely some work stuff for the meeting. Do you really believe that the metro/marc is really conducive to carrying bags on it. Plus with the added security around he is likely to get a lot of extra looks and who knows whatelse riding around DC metro with a bunch of bags.

But whatever.

You know, one thing lost on everyone.  He is traveling overnight, gonna have bags and likely some work stuff for the meeting.   Do you really believe that the metro/marc is really conducive to carrying bags on it.  Plus with the added security around he is likely to get a lot of extra looks and who knows whatelse riding around DC metro with a bunch of bags. 

But whatever.

397992[/snapback]

Metro is only a pain around rush hour, though I think he'd still find a seat easily starting near or at the end of a line. At the same time, traffic is horrible at rush hour around DC, especially if you're not used to it.

So, BRH, are you coming and going at rush hour?

Metro is only a pain around rush hour, though I think he'd still find a seat easily starting near or at the end of a line.  At the same time, traffic is horrible at rush hour around DC, especially if you're not used to it.

397994[/snapback]

Oh I live here, trust me I know what a pain in the ass it can be. But metro is a pain as well.

It's only a one way street depending on ones perspective, isn't it? If you're going down it, you're only going down it one way. I DO think all the headlights and lack of tail lights might have given one a clue, but...I wasn't driving.

397878[/snapback]

:lol: :lol:

Metro is only a pain around rush hour, though I think he'd still find a seat easily starting near or at the end of a line.  At the same time, traffic is horrible at rush hour around DC, especially if you're not used to it.

397994[/snapback]

Coming at about 11 a.m., leaving at about 3. I lived in DC for a summer once (had a car too; lived in the G'town dorms) so I'm pretty familiar with the area and the Metro and whatnot, but BWI is new to me.

As for bags, I'm only bringing an overnight case and a shoulder bag. I doubt I'll get many looks. Well, no more than I usually get. :lol:

SuperShuttle's another good thought. So many choices.

Gee, I'll have to remember the bag thing next time I take it to Reagan.

398021[/snapback]

And incidentally, I've noticed that you can usually tell a person's party affiliation by whether he refers to it as "Reagan" or "National." :lol:

I go to DC a couple of times a year for a board meeting and, though I get reimbursed, I try to keep the costs as low as possible.  This time I wasn't able to get a decent fare into and out of National, so I'm going through BWI.  (I tried Dulles once and that sucked.)  What's the best, fastest, and most convenient way to get to downtown DC (near the White House) from BWI?  How's that trip?  I'm guessing the MARC train to Union Station and then the Metro.  Any help from locals much appreciated.  Thanks!

397814[/snapback]

Take the MARC Train from BWI to Union Station. It should be just under $10 round trip and will both cost less as well as take less time than driving. Gas will cost more not to mention your rental.

How's that trip?

That trip is a snap! Easy, fast, relaxing.

Driving from BWI is a risk. You never know when there's gonna be a jam on the Beltway due to an accident, construction, etc. If you get anywhere near rush hour, which ends at 10 am in the morning and begins as early as 2:30 in the afternoon, then it could take you two hours to drive 50 miles to BWI. In either case, MARC is quicker and is easily less hassle.

Once you get to Union, go down the escalators to the Metro and take the following lines (from the Whitehouse website):

The closest Metrorail stations to the White House are Federal Triangle (blue and orange lines), Metro Center (blue, orange, and red lines) and McPherson Square (blue and orange lines). On-street parking is not available near the White House, and use of public transportation is strongly encouraged.

You may want to call and ask the office that you are going to for the nearest Metro. Once in that area, NW D.C., the lettered streets increase, i.e., F St. to G St. to H St. going north. The numbered streets increase moving west. When you pop up out of the Metro you can figure out where you are and which way north is that way.

Coming at about 11 a.m., leaving at about 3.  I lived in DC for a summer once (had a car too; lived in the G'town dorms) so I'm pretty familiar with the area and the Metro and whatnot, but BWI is new to me.

As for bags, I'm only bringing an overnight case and a shoulder bag.  I doubt I'll get many looks.  Well, no more than I usually get.  :lol:

SuperShuttle's another good thought.  So many choices.

398023[/snapback]

The MARC is the way to go. Follow the signs at BWI, you need to catch a bus from the airport to the MARC station. Metro will be no problem at the times you indicated, even with bags..

If you drive, take the BW Parkway south (295),Make sure you stay on 295, do not get off at 50 till you see a sign for the Douglas bridge, Downtown DC. Need to make a right at the light there at the bottom of the ramp, and then follow the signs across the bridge. This will put you on South Capital street, with the Capital building staring you in the face. If you do drive, I wouldn' t mess with the metro at all, at 12.00pm it would be more a pain in the ass then its worth

P.S. here's the link to the DC Metro map:

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

Union Station is on the red line which means take it to Metro Center. Waiting for another train to a neighboring station won't be worth the wait. They're not that far apart downtown. Just hoof it.

You can also always take a cab from Union. It should take the driver no more than 10 minutes to get you in front of the Whitehouse on 15th St. right around the Willard Hotel.

I say should. DC cab drivers are the antithesis of NY cabbies. They are on sedatives 24/7 it seems.

I just did this three weeks ago (in rush hour traffic both ways)

295 - Baltimore Washington Parkway, get off in Landover, park & ride, take the metro rail into Downtown DC.

Took less than 40 minutes each way

397845[/snapback]

Impossible in 40 minutes from BWI to the heart of downtown DC. Don't care if the roads are empty.

You must have been talking as you were leaving the lots at BWI and to the fringe station on the Metro.....which is a good 40 minutes from downtown.

You know, one thing lost on everyone.  He is traveling overnight, gonna have bags and likely some work stuff for the meeting.  Do you really believe that the metro/marc is really conducive to carrying bags on it.  Plus with the added security around he is likely to get a lot of extra looks and who knows whatelse riding around DC metro with a bunch of bags. 

But whatever.

397992[/snapback]

I've done it with bags. Unless he's totin' like a woman for a six day trip, he'll be fine.

What, a laptop and one roller bag? Big deal.

Thanks guys.  All good suggestions.  I'm actually considering the one about park & ride at Landover.  That might allow me to get a hotel somewhere in MD (it's an overnight trip) without worrying about whether it's right next to a Metro stop.

397867[/snapback]

Keep in mind, that the Metro sucks. It's not comfortable for long rides and Landover is at least half 40 minutes to where you need to go.

It's 25 min. riding time;

http://www.wmata.com/test_tplanner/index.c...FTOKEN=92150747

...plus up and down into the metro stations, plus the walk in from the lots and waiting for the trains. I can't imagine, especially in rush, that that trip takes a minute less than 1:20 all tolled.

When you come out from the MARC at Union, you're right there. It's a simple escalator down and you're at the red line. Then it's only three stops. Metro BLOWS if you have to sit on it for very long.

Anyway, just trying to help. I've worked with all sorts of transportation companies in and around DC. I know it like that back of my hand. Can't go into detail for reasons, but just trust me. Take the MARC to Union and the Metro to Metro Center or whatever stop your destination tells you is closer.

The MARC is the way to go. Follow the signs at BWI, you need to catch a bus from the airport to the MARC station. Metro will be no problem at the times you indicated, even with bags..

If you drive, take the BW Parkway south (295),Make sure you stay on 295, do not get off at 50 till you see a sign for the Douglas bridge, Downtown DC.  Need to make a right at the light there at the bottom of the ramp, and then follow the signs across the bridge. This will put you on South Capital street, with the Capital building staring you in the face. If you do drive, I wouldn' t mess with the metro at all, at 12.00pm it would be more a pain in the ass then its worth

398041[/snapback]

Yeah, the Shuttle's a snap too. It's clearly marked Amtrak/MARC.

50 can be a pain for someone that doesn't know the roads. It comes in diagonally and it's so easy to get lost or onto streets that are one-way, etc. Plus parking that time of day can be a first class hassle too.

My recommendation is MARC/cab. But as I pointed out, Metro is easily accessible from the MARC/Union and is only three stops to MC. So to save $20, it may be worth it.

Metro BLOWS if you have to sit on it for very long. 

398062[/snapback]

No kidding. That's one reason I won't go back to Dulles. Took the Washington Flyer from there to Fairfax or Vienna (one of those) and then the blue line all over hell and gone until I got to downtown.

I suppose someone probably will tell me now that I should have done something different out of Dulles. Which is cool; I can file that away for future reference.

No kidding.  That's one reason I won't go back to Dulles.  Took the Washington Flyer from there to Fairfax or Vienna (one of those) and then the blue line all over hell and gone until I got to downtown.

I suppose someone probably will tell me now that I should have done something different out of Dulles.  Which is cool; I can file that away for future reference.

398069[/snapback]

Dulles is tough. The airport itself is my favorite to fly out of now that RN has more flights. RN was great for the first few years after 9/11. There were hardly any flights and the place was always empty making it appear to be one's personal airport. It's still very convenient and is right on the metro only stops from Downtown. But the flights, as you noticed, are pricey, often two or three times what you can get at BWI or IAD.

Dulles you can check Jet Blue or Independence depending upon where you live. BWI you can get cheap with AirTran, SW, or sometimes US Air.

Coming in from Dulles there are few options. There is no metro and if there were, it would take an hour to get to downtown. You need to rent a car or take a shuttle. A Cab ride just to Tyson's will cost you $25 one way.

So no, there are really no good options into DC from Dulles. Switching to Metro halfway is very time consuming. The best place to transfer would be West Falls Church, not the two Vienna stops. They're more indirectly out of the way. I do believe that the Fairfax Connector Buses run to the WFC Metro. There's a special lane for them off of the I-66 connector to get to the stop.

P.S. If you're staying overnight with a rental car, Dulles is preferred. The hotels out that way are less expensive and you have the Airport road connecting the Beltway to Dulles which is great and rarely has major amounts of traffic.

Then again, if you have to drive downtown every day, that might not be worth the hassle in commute for hotel savings.