just give it to them

It's been a LONG time since the Bills MADE the playoffs even.

Even longer since they've won in the playoffs.

And even the most die-hard Bills fan has to admit, it's going to be an uphill climb this year at best.

397144[/snapback]

Very sobering, Joseph, but very true.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a LONG time since the Bills MADE the playoffs even.

Even longer since they've won in the playoffs.

And even the most die-hard Bills fan has to admit, it's going to be an uphill climb this year at best.

397144[/snapback]

We must "Endeavor to persevere." And then after we have thought about it long enough, we should declare war on the Union...

I like Wade Phillips as a Defensive coordinator but think he sucks as a head coach, but I give him much respect for pulling the team off after that anal rape by the refs. Football isn't played for gamblers and points spreads, no matter how much of that is going on, it's played to win games. The refs did such a horrific job of officiating down the stretch that it took a bold statement of protest by the jobbed coach to help mark it permanently in the minds of every one who witnessed it. Even Ralph Wilson later went off on the officiating and received a $50,000 fine. Instant replay came back the next season and I firmly believe that game is a big reason why.

397069[/snapback]

I agree 100%. Replay is here to stay in the NFL because of that play and others. Something had to be done to guard against totally erroneous calls like that. Debateable as whether in bounds or not but no question as to short of 1st down. I never understood why that ref worked another NFL season.

I agree 100%.  Replay is here to stay in the NFL because of that play and others.  Something had to be done to guard against totally erroneous calls like that.  Debateable as whether in bounds or not but no question as to short of 1st down.  I never understood why that ref worked another NFL season.

397231[/snapback]

The out of bounds wasn't debateable either. The entire world could have made the call, except for Walt's crew.

:blink: What were they thinking about then? Did they have evil in their hearts? There is not a coach in the world who, given an undefensed conversion, would choose to kick for one (which might fail) rather than run for two (which can't fail). It's really, really inane to suggest otherwise - that the Pats did something that other teams wouldn't do by running in the two pointer.

There is an enormous, enormous difference between pulling starters (and possibly protecting them from injury) and conceding point differential, and what Phillips did when time had expired. He had every right to be upset, because the end was a sham, but the method of protest he chose was really dumb because it could only hurt his team. Very unlikely that the point would ever matter, but there was no upside. Saying that a tiebreaker has never come down to that is irrelevant - it *could* come down to that. As Pacino said, you have to fight for every inch in football - you never know when that will be the difference.

I lot a ton of respect for Phillips that day. He's not at Gilbride levels, but I don't think much of him as a coach. Plus, the whole Captain Kangaroo lookalike thing throws me off.

396499[/snapback]

My guess here is that Wade probably overheard the "give it to em" call on the sidelines and was so pissed that he just wasn't thinking clearly. It's a tough position for a coach to be in, knowing that you are being bent over and given the "moon river" on national TV. If he had it to do again, I'm sure he would probably keep them on the field.

My guess here is that Wade probably overheard the "give it to em" call on the sidelines and was so pissed that he just wasn't thinking clearly. It's a tough position for a coach to be in, knowing that you are being bent over and given the "moon river" on national TV. If he had it to do again, I'm sure he would probably keep them on the field.

397389[/snapback]

Andre Reed said he overheard the 'just give it to them' remark. I'm sure he informed Wade.

What pisses(d) off me so much is 'just give it to them' really translates to '!@#$ the Bills, who cares about them'.

I remember thinking (and still think) - if an offensive player fumbles the ball near their own sideline and this rule is on the books, why doesn't someone standing on the sideline, a coach for example, simply reach into the field of play, touch the ball, and end the down?

I have a hard time with this rule and I'll tell ya why. Lets say I fumble and roll out of bounds in the process, while the ball lays next to sideline. While out of bounds, if I can get my pinkie on the ball, by definition the play is dead. lJust doesn't seem right to me.

Also, does this rule imply that a gunner on the punt team can go down out of bounds, stay out of bounds, and down a punt that is still in the field of play and not get a penalty because he never came back in?

397087[/snapback]

Andre Reed said he overheard the 'just give it to them' remark.  I'm sure he informed Wade.

What pisses(d) off me so much is 'just give it to them' really translates to '!@#$ the Bills, who cares about them'.

397399[/snapback]

Wow. I've been on this board going on three years, and I've never really understood what "just give it to them" meant until right now.

And I can understand why you're all still bitter about it seven years later. Hey, I still don't like the fact that the Denver Broncos and Elway seemed to get every call and every bounce against my formerly beloved Browns. And the Browns last played for an AFC Title 15 years ago.

If you remember a Browns-Broncos game in 1989 where they had to switch ends of the field at the old Dawg Pound when fans in the bleachers were littering the field with garbage and even batteries when the Broncos were driving into that end...well, most of Cleveland can relate with you regarding frustrations with officiating and the like.

I can't tell you how many of my friends thought that John Elway got every single bleepin' break there is, from the officials and otherwise.

As for who cares about the Bills, I care about the Bills. We all care about the Bills (at least the non-trolls on this board). And we will support them, no matter what the rest of the world thinks.

Mike