Mularkey on NFL Radio

Some tidbits from his interview:

-expectations to start as fast as they finished and emphasis put on that

-use the Steeler game as motivation

-glad to have TH distraction behind them

-likes depth at RB (Jesse Chapman not on radar screen) and will give current guys first chance. Didn't name a frontrunner.

-Minor concerns: over TE injuries and wants to get them confidence early. Be smart with JP getting enough reps.

-JP's elusiveness will help him as a young QB. Planned mobility. Likes his ability to run when things break down, but must learn to slide!

-comparison to Rothlisberger and making plays on the run

-talked about JP's offseason effort. Wasn't asked to do it, personal initiative and eager to learn and wants to do good. He's never satisfied. Teammates have earned respect based on his preparation.

-Sam Wyche tutoring and relationship positive impact on his progress

-Pat Williams spot will be competitive, doesn't expect drop off in defense

-Jonas Jennings spot replaced by Mike Gandy and talked about his starting experience. Liked what they saw on film and took advantage of his opportunities. Long arms. Will give him the chance to fail. Working against Schobel. Have alternative plans if it doesn't work out. Didn't elaborate.

-Doesn't see McGahee as medical risk. One of the harder workers in offseason.

-Roscoe Parrish impressive and in mix as slot receiver and factor on special teams

-takes special teams very serious and bigger emphasis put on it than last year. Uses starters on teams to be as good as they can be.

-If play to our capabilities and play smart football will be a contender - dodged question if they can win division

Nothing too revealing but good to hear Bills talk. He'll be on every Friday during the seaason. Schein and Riggins sensed his confidence. They think we'll miss Pat Williams. Concerns over replacing Jennings with Gandy. That's all.

thanks for the post.

I liked the part about not expecting a drop off on defense. I was not overly thrilled with Fat Pat's play last year. He seemed to be getting a little slower. We will see how he does in Minny, and how we do without him...

-Jonas Jennings spot replaced by Mike Gandy and talked about his starting experience.  Liked what they saw on film and took advantage of his opportunities. 

391700[/snapback]

So much for Mularkey, he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and knows nothing about how horrible Gandy was while at Chicago!

At least thats what I hear around here. :angry:

They had a 20 minute interview with him which is probably the longest i have heard on it. Here are some things that he said

-Steelers loss left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and is fuel for the fire of this team in 2005.

-Liked what they saw on file from Mike Gandy when he was with the Bears. It is his position to lose and they do have alternate options for LT if he does fail. Mike Gandy has worked his ass off leading up to training camp.

-Right now not looking for another RB to backup Willis. The RB's in camp have shown promise.

-Don't see any change in the Defense with Pat Williams being gone now. This is one of the positions being fought for in camp. It is someone's to gain and not someone's to lose.

-JP Losman needs to learn to slide. He has a tough guy mentality which is a good mentality to have but he cannot try running over defenders all the time. JP Losman has alot of confidense, no play is good enough for him even if he makes the perfect throw, Veterans have responded well to JP because they recognize his dedication to the game and all the work he has put into it.

-Roscoe - MM wouldn't want to try and tackle him and that he has done some amazing things in the off season in the slot. He has picked up the offense rather quickly.

- MM says they can take the division if they play up to their ability and don't beat themself.

- No dropoff in ST's this year. he expects more production this year out of them. I guess 6TD's? :angry: :angry:

NO questions were asked about Moulds or Lee Evans which pretty much means everyone believes they will be outstanding. It just isn't a story to discuss.

John Riggins mentioned that he could feel the confidense in MM's voice about the Bills chances this year.

damn, hate that i missed it, but thanks for the recap (and kota too)! i love listening to those guys on my way home from work. i think they really like the bills as a sleeper this year.

Yep, but there was NO game film on Smith.

391962[/snapback]

I seem to recall them talking up Pucillo last year. Then talking up Smith. Then Tucker. Now Gandy. It's what they do. Some drank the kool aid. McNally certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt, but it did take several tries before they settled on LG last year. Let's hope it doesn't take that again this year.

I seem to recall them talking up Pucillo last year.  Then talking up Smith.  Then Tucker.  Now Gandy.  It's what they do.  Some drank the kool aid.  McNally certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt, but it did take several tries before they settled on LG last year.  Let's hope it doesn't take that again this year.

Agreed. However with the lack of interest shown in Shelton, Verba (if they felt LT was a screaming need, they'd be stepping-up to the plate big-time), and moving-up in the draft, I think there's more reason to believe they like Gandy, again as a solid starter. Doesn't mean they won't try and upgrade from him, like the Bears tried with Colombo.