Time for some Signings to Begin

Isn't this the week that signings spike? Sure would be great to have all of our guys signed sealed and delivered by 7/30/05.

Roscoe (I hate that name, but hopefuly he'll make me love it soon) needs to be in camp right from the beginning. If all early reports on him are accurate, he may be a nice situational weapon right out of the box. Love his shiftiness and speed.

Hard to believe that we're just 5 days away from the bullets flying.

Isn't this the week that signings spike? Sure would be great to have all of our guys signed sealed and delivered by 7/30/05.

Roscoe (I hate that name, but hopefuly he'll make me love it soon) needs to be in camp right from the beginning. If all early reports on him are accurate, he may be a nice situational weapon right out of the box. Love his shiftiness and speed.

Hard to believe that we're just 5 days away from the bullets flying.

389544[/snapback]

I noted a couple of "name" signings (i.e. names that I recognized) the past few days - the highest was somebody's 2nd rounder. It does seem like there are considerably more unsigned than usual. Who knows?

I don't have the players in front of me, but I believe that players drafted a few spots before and after Parrish have signed. Hopefully Roscoe's agent will agree to terms(by the end of the week) somewhere between the players already signed

All eyes are on SanFran. Once Alex Smith is signed they will drop like dominos.

Unless they're represented by Rosenhaus, of course.

389549[/snapback]

every agent is "afraid" of making a bad deal b/c their clients will leave them and sign w/ rosenhaus after one season.

similarly, the GMs are "afraid" b/c if they do a good a job getting a deal done for the team, the player will hold out after one season for a renegotiation (after firing old agent and hiring rosenhaus).

nice business the NFL has become, eh? :)

I think it's strange that not many of the mid-lower rounders have signed yet. Maybe I remember things wrong, but usually I thought it was just the 1st rounders and the occaisonal difficult 2nd that didnt get done before camp.

I talked to my boy Justin yesterday and he hasn't signed and he flew up to NY today and starts on the 28th. He said he's not going to camp w/o a deal (obviously) but he didn't seem very concerned. And he was just a 3rd rd. pick.

I guess it will work itself out this week for the most part.

2 things are why the signings are taking so long...

1. All of the teams are waiting for Alex Smith to sign his deal, so they can measure up and use that as a starting point for "slotting" the contracts. No team wants to overpay a first rounder

2. Since theres no CBA extension, you can only amortize signing bonuses over 4 years now instead of 5. (or maybe its 5 instead of 6) Either way, teams have one less year to string out the money, so there big number contracts are taking some creative doing to get the deals finalized.

2 things are why the signings are taking so long...

1. All of the teams are waiting for Alex Smith to sign his deal, so they can measure up and use that as a starting point for "slotting" the contracts. No team wants to overpay a first rounder

2. Since theres no CBA extension, you can only amortize signing bonuses over 4 years now instead of 5. (or maybe its 5 instead of 6) Either way, teams have one less year to string out the money, so there big number contracts are taking some creative doing to get the deals finalized.

389612[/snapback]

I think I read somewhere that it was 5 instead of 6...not sure. But as you say, it has an effect.