New Cap Update

Good job. It's interesting to see that the OL is highest paid section on the whole for the most part. Who says TD doesn't pay attention to the OL.

389271[/snapback]

The OL does eat a big portion of the cap. I didn't know how much Teague earned; perhaps because his contract was backloaded as he is in his last year.

The safeties take up a ton of cap space as well. Hopefully, they will stay healthy this season.

Great job as always CP.

Can you answer this (probably obvious, sorry) question:

Given the Bills current salary cap status, how much of it is available , after all rookie signings, for free agents and/or to sign extensions?

Do you envision ANY possibility that the Bills can extend Clements? Is McGee simply a more likely scenario?

My VERY not in-the-know evaluation is that McGee is WAY more likely and that Clements will simply play out his contract and then go to the highest bidder next season.

Thanks again for all your work CP.

if you are at Hammer's on 9/11, stop by the CNJBBB cooker for free (ha ha) wings and an ice cold Labatts.

-RnJ

www.cnjbbb.org

After draft choices sign, Bills will have about $2 million available. However, more can be created depending on who gets traded, released, cut, and/or waived before the final roster is set. Players that could be let go and save some minimal cap space are: WR Reed, OL L. Smith, RB Burns, etc. I do not foresee any big names cut for cap purposes.

I think the Bills extend one. However, since Clements' salary is $2.5 million, he could sign an extension that lowers his 2005 salary to the vet min. for his yrs of service ($540,000) and that $1.96 million be applied to his bonus amortization. This would allow the Bills to possibly extend McGee as well.

If Bills do not re-sign Clements before FA period starts nexgt March, he will likely be franchised. I suspect he will be here through 2006 at least

After draft choices sign, Bills will have about $2 million available. However, more can be created depending on who gets traded, released, cut, and/or waived before the final roster is set. Players that could be let go and save some minimal cap space are: WR Reed, OL L. Smith, RB Burns, etc. I do not foresee any big names cut for cap purposes.

I think the Bills extend one. However, since Clements' salary is $2.5 million, he could sign an extension that lowers his 2005 salary to the vet min. for his yrs of service ($540,000) and that $1.96 million be applied to his bonus amortization. This would allow the Bills to possibly extend McGee as well.

If Bills do not re-sign Clements before FA period starts nexgt March, he will likely be franchised. I suspect he will be here through 2006 at least

390091[/snapback]

I am still hoping "my man" Reed can shove his play up a notch to stay on the squad. But, if he's let go, someone will pick him up.

I hadn't thought about the typical money shift dropping Clements $2.5. Silly me, I only saw his current salary as a negative - not so! Nate's value is extremely high and IMO the Bills will have to raise the bar quite a bit to sign him EVEN IF Nate agrees to accept a bit less than he might be making on the open market next year. Who is Nate's agent? Is he someone known to work well with TD in the past?

The new NFL TV contract and the upcoming new collective bargaining agreement (I hear it could be set in as little as two weeks) will help a lot in determining future long term contracts to some extent. My amateur view on this is that we are looking at $10 mil per year becoming the NORM in the near future for top flight CB's (gasp!) Thus, IMO, if the Bills can sign Nate to a 4 - year extension at, say $42 mil, with figures of 540K (2005), $3.0M (2006),$5.5M (2007),$8.0M (2008),$11.0M (2009) with a $14 Mil signing bonus might work - NC's cap hit for 2005 would go from $2.5M (does that include his amortized bonus?) to $3.34M this year, $5.8 M next year , etc.

Those last few year MAY seem excessive (and likely to be never seen by Nate BUT, they may turn out to be close or less than the CB value in those years).

Thanks, as always, CP for all your work I love to crunch these numbers too and having you do all the hard digging work (and organizing it in one place) makes this really fun for me.

Free wings for you at the tailgate!! cnjbbb baby

-Rich

So the Bills should have enough to franchise Clements next off-season? Cool. Will they have any money left over to pursue a FA or two (which would give them more leverage, in that they don't have to trade Clements immediately and thus take a lower offer)?

I realize that Holcomb and Matthews are veterans with many more years exp., and that JP got more bonus $$ in his pockets - but kind of funny to see that each of the backup QBs makes more than twice the starter's salary...

Clump,

Thanks for the update... What is the 'deion' charge?

390352[/snapback]

:lol:

Basically, it's a provision to limit teams from giving HUGE signing bonuses with early yr minimum salaries. It was first seen with Deion Sanders. The adjustment on the cap is called the "Deion" charge. If the salaries & roster bonuses are greater than the amortized signing bonus in capped years, then their is no "deion" charge. If it's less, then the difference is applied to the capped yrs as a debit but the team then gets a credit later starting in the uncapped yr. I know clear as mud. I'll post Mike Williams' calculations if time at work permits 0:)

So the Bills should have enough to franchise Clements next off-season?  Cool.  Will they have any money left over to pursue a FA or two (which would give them more leverage, in that they don't have to trade Clements immediately and thus take a lower offer)?

390521[/snapback]

Bills will be able to create cap space for the franchise tender which will likely be in the $7.5 million range (+/- $500,000).

Remember, BOTH Moulds and M. Williams have 2006 cap numbers over $10 million. A lot of cap space can be found there