Just When You Thought It Was Safe

I used to patrol off Mass in the US Coast Guard and would sometimes see MASSIVE fins sticking out of the water. They dont come too close to shore usually, but rather stay out about 12-20 miles off where the water is about 10 degrees cooler.

If you think that the NE coast doesnt have sharks, you are sadly mistaken!

You have a better chance of dying from a falling coconut than a shark attack.

387170[/snapback]

True, but some guy sipping a pina colada and getting brained by a coconut just doesn't make for as good a headline as SHARK ATTACK!!!! ;)

WOW!...Glad I live 1000 miles from any saltwater.

386921[/snapback]

Unlike just about all other species of sharks, bull sharks can live and thrive in waters with varying degrees of salinity, and even in fresh water. There have even been accounts of the bull shark being caught as far up the Mississippi River as Illinois, 1,750 miles from the Gulf, and 2,400 miles up the Amazon River. It prefers rivers and inlets with shallow water and is not often reported far out at sea.

The maximum reported length of the bull shark is 11.5 feet, and it weighed over 500 pounds. On Aug. 26, 1987, The Baltimore Sun reported that a man had caught a 420-pound, 8 1/2-foot bull shark while fishing around the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Similar catches have been reported as far north as Aberdeen, up near the mouth of the Susquehanna River.

The bull shark is a particularly aggressive species, as the International Shark Attack File has recorded 64 unprovoked attacks on humans, with 20 fatalities.

My Webpage