Place your vote

bernie

It's amazing how few people outside of Western NY give Andre any respect. The man was a great receiver. Sterling Sharpe, Cris Carter, Tim Brown & Michael Irvin better than Andre - no way!!!!!!! ;)

BTW, I almost didn't read this post, thinking it was about Josh Reed :w00t:

There isn't one guy on that list I'd personally take over Andre at his peak (Irvin is closest).  The poll results show how much time and name recognition have to do with people's feelings

385261[/snapback]

Do you think that Randy Moss should have been included in this poll, or did they not play enough years at the same time?

Do you think that Randy Moss should have been included in this poll, or did they not play enough years at the same time?

385265[/snapback]

Randy should definitely be on there. For one, he's in the top 60% of receivers, plus he shows that characteristic cred' that ESPN is looking for, Fo Shizzle. ESPN always weights their polls and commentary towards the guy/team with the most popularity/ street appeal over the best. Players from small market teams like the Buffalo Bills, sabres always get slighted in those polls. I can think of one exception to the rule: Mario Lemieux with the pens. During hockey season, you'd think that ESPN was a religious channel and their diety was mario lepieux. Like all forms of media and entertainment, ESPN is slanted towards one direction instead of being in the middle.

Andre is in last place...unfreaking believable. What a shame. Apparently the rest of the football world was asleep while he was becoming one of the most prolific receivers in NFL history.

Andre is in last place...unfreaking believable.  What a shame.  Apparently the rest of the football world was asleep while he was becoming one of the most prolific receivers in NFL history.

385273[/snapback]

Andre wasn't a tireless self promoter like Sharpe, Irvin, and Carter. All of whom still have television gigs of some kind. Name recognition is really what this poll is all about.

Each of those guys was a terrific player and in reality the numbers should be pretty close. The fact that Andre isn't even cracking 10% tells us all we need to know.

385265[/snapback]

I think the poll was geared towards retired WR's in Brown's career span. Hey! - where's Biletnikoff and the 2 Marks! ;)

Andre Reed has my vote, although I think if Sterling Sharpe played as long as brown/reed/irvin/carter. His #'s would probably be better than every one of them, although I saw a lot more of Reed than I did sterling so I went with Reed on bias and what not, and I think it's ridiculous he only has like 7-8% of the total vote.

Randy should definitely be on there.  For one, he's in the top 60% of receivers, plus he shows that characteristic cred' that ESPN is looking for, Fo Shizzle.  ESPN always weights their polls and commentary towards the guy/team with the most popularity/ street appeal over the best.  Players from small market teams like the Buffalo Bills, sabres always get slighted in those polls.  I can think of one exception to the rule:  Mario Lemieux with the pens.  During hockey season, you'd think that ESPN was a religious channel and their diety was mario lepieux.  Like all forms of media and entertainment, ESPN is slanted towards one direction instead of being in the middle.

385271[/snapback]

Or it could be that they don't consider Moss as a player in the Jerry Rice generation.

I know I certainly don't.

Andre wasn't a tireless self promoter like Sharpe, Irvin, and Carter. All of whom still have television gigs of some kind. Name recognition is really what this poll is all about.

Good point