Headhunter advice

as stated, it's an actual job. I found out today that I was referred by an industry colleague, so that makes it even more legitimate.

382007[/snapback]

As you saw from my response below, that is how the HH contacted me and it led to this job. Believe me I am very happy with the new job.

Thanks for the advice.

To all others - see it isn't difficult!  :D

382051[/snapback]

There are proabaly a lot of good reasons this won't work...but all you need to know is in spite of those reasons..it CAN work~ i got one call in my life from a headhunter (I also wasn't looking, and felt i was close to ceilingpay/respomsibility), so i made the bold move (was nervous no-doubt), but today i'm an owner of the company. so it CAN work-just make sure you love the job/industry before making the plunge.

AL

Getting a personal call from a putative "headhunter" is like getting a personal call from QVC or the Shopping Network. Marketing ploy.

Put it on ingnore - really. What is this?

An unsolicited stranger who would like you to spill your guts/personal information?

Don't do it.

your pal who has been around the block, stuckincincy.

381952[/snapback]

Except not at all. My wife got a call late last year and ended up moving to a new company with a 40% raise in base pay and 60% more cash from the bonus. There are many many companies out there that use headhunters to bring in employs. Blowing them all off is a bad move.

Do a little research on the company the headhunter works for and make sure they're legit. Most likely the way they got your name is from a former client that worked with you that thought you might be interested in a move.

Their good for ****. They want to make money and will do anything to sell the position.

382109[/snapback]

Who doesn't...everyone takes care of their business first....including you

and me...

We want to make money, so we will always sell ourselves to upper mgmt

for that salaray increase/promotion etc....

The HH job is to refer clients to companies...and he is doing just that

Really surprised at the # of responces here agaisnt headhunters. I will always listen to a HH, never know when something better might come along. Now, if someone asked you for a deposit or some king of money, then run , don't walk away.

Someone earlier references a current employer using a HH to check on you, if so, i would run again from a company that would do that to you.

OK, kids. I've been a headhunter for 25 years. Interesting responses. Most headhunters are just in it for the money, but rarely do they give out confidential information to anyone but the potential employer. There are some competent headhunters out there. It depends on the industry. When contacted by a headhunter, the best advice I could give someone is to ask questions that are very direct (not "how did you get my name"). If the headhunter is upfront and honest, listen to what he says. To be open minded to a potential opportunity is not a commitment to making a job change. Step one (dialogue with a company) is an educational step, only, for both parties.

To be open minded to a potential opportunity is not a commitment to making a job change. Step one (dialogue with a company) is an educational step, only, for both parties.

382367[/snapback]

Whole heartedly agree with that. The employee can refuse after getting the final offer so there is absolutely no harm in going through the entire process. The potential employee owes it to himself/herself in pursuing the opportunity thoroughly.

Curious about your Panorra's Boxxx reference.  Is that some strip joint?  Used to go to a bar on Main St. in Amherst by that name.  Not a strip joint by the way.

382197[/snapback]

adult superstore :D

Woah....I'd say this is a little hasty.

Depending on what field he works in, headhunters are frequently the guys with all the jobs.  Now obviously headhunters are interested in their commission and not in you being happy in the job they placed you in and thus most of them are not to be trusted, but that doesn't mean you should ignore them if they have a good opportunity.

Our friend in TX wouldn't have bothered posting if he wasn't considering the job.  My advice to him would be to agree to a phone interview with the company and if both sides are still interested, then make the trip to CO.

As for how he found you, that what headhunters do.  He can get your name any number of ways.  Are you mentioned on your company's website?  Do you have colleagues that he might have worked with in the past?  Did you ever post your resume on a job search site?

381977[/snapback]

I have to agree - I have benefited in salary by over 50% from what I was making. Listen to what is going on and trust the interviewing company - not the headhunter...

If you are worried about the longevity of the company - get an agreement for a period of time you are comfortable with - say guaranteed 5 years...