Talking to a friend who is a Lions Fan about JP

MrLocke

So like the topic title says I was talking to a friend who happens to be a Lions fan and he was very insistent that for the Bills this would be a season where the Bills win in the range of 6 games. He kept on insisting that because JP is only in his second season and this is his first season starting that the Bills will struggle. He raises a good point, as very few quarterbacks come in and are succesful right away. There are the obvious exceptions Marino, Roethlisberger and also I thought Byron Leftwhich was solid as a rookie. I kept on countering with the argument that very few young quarterbacks come into as good a situation as JP Buffalo having the #2 defense and #1 special teams plus he has good skill position players with Moulds, Evans, Mcgahee and Shelton. I also raised the point that the Bills won 9 games with Bledsoe at QB and that it should not be too difficult for JP to match Bledsoe's play. Finnally I raised the point (Now I am not sure if this was Mularkey's call or Cowher's call) that in Pittsburgh when Kordell Stewart was struggling he made the right choice to go with Tommy Maddox and that the Bledsoe Losman situation was similar and that Mularkey was making the right choice to go with Losman over Bledsoe. Anyway I'm just wondering what it is with other's that makes you Comfortable With Losman at QB? I should add that I think the Bills have a top notch backup in Kelly Holcomb as I think Cleveland could have been succesful with him at QB with a better defense.

381340[/snapback]

Maddox was not a rookie when he took over. Holcomb might be able to win us a game or too but I doubt he could carry this club for any stretch.

Holcomb might be able to win us a game or too but I doubt he could carry this club for any stretch.

I think he could. He played some great games with Cleveland, despite having a lousy team around him. He'll have an infinitely better one in Buffalo. But here's hoping we don't have to find that out.

Your friend is right and you are obviously a maroon who doesn't know how to use the return key (you know - the BIG one on the right-hand side of your keyboard thingy). The Bills are doomed. They're a complete write-off on every opponent's calendar this year. Each team is circling every occurence of the word "BUFFALO" in thick red marker and putting a huge "W" next to it. The very lucky teams in the AFC East get to do that TWICE each!  :D

Oh what a wonderful time to be an opponent of the Bills. Comfortable with Losman? A Rookie Quarterback! Hah! Who's comfortable with a rookie quarterback? We're not going to win a friggin game!  :w00t:

I have to stop now. I'm getting chest pains.

[/sARCASM]

381343[/snapback]

A maroon or a macaroon?

So like the topic title says I was talking to a friend who happens to be a Lions fan and he was very insistent that for the Bills this would be a season where the Bills win in the range of 6 games. He kept on insisting that because JP is only in his second season and this is his first season starting that the Bills will struggle. He raises a good point, as very few quarterbacks come in and are succesful right away. There are the obvious exceptions Marino, Roethlisberger and also I thought Byron Leftwhich was solid as a rookie. I kept on countering with the argument that very few young quarterbacks come into as good a situation as JP Buffalo having the #2 defense and #1 special teams plus he has good skill position players with Moulds, Evans, Mcgahee and Shelton. I also raised the point that the Bills won 9 games with Bledsoe at QB and that it should not be too difficult for JP to match Bledsoe's play. Finnally I raised the point (Now I am not sure if this was Mularkey's call or Cowher's call) that in Pittsburgh when Kordell Stewart was struggling he made the right choice to go with Tommy Maddox and that the Bledsoe Losman situation was similar and that Mularkey was making the right choice to go with Losman over Bledsoe. Anyway I'm just wondering what it is with other's that makes you Comfortable With Losman at QB? I should add that I think the Bills have a top notch backup in Kelly Holcomb as I think Cleveland could have been succesful with him at QB with a better defense.

381340[/snapback]

Like it or not, your friend's view of the Bills with a new QB is pretty much going to be the "common wisdom" for the upcoming season until JP hopefully shuts them up with solid play. Your counter arguments are familiar territory as well. They certainly have some creedence but the bottom line is we just don't know. JP is a walking question mark right now. There are plenty of reasons to think he is going to have a very good year despite his inexperience but there are plenty of reasons to support the idea that he will go through some serious growing pains.

We shall see. Camp is just around the corner.

Good post, RNJ. The thing that makes me confident that JP can step in and perform adequately is three fold:

1. He is not expected or needed to be the savior. He has a couple stars on the offense already, a stud running back to rely on, a smart veteran WR and a budding star speedster WR with hands, and he has a defense that will allow him to not have to pass all day and special teams that can get him out of trouble and set him up in good field position to start.

2. He has all the tools. His legs can get him out of trouble. He has the arm strength to throw deep, if only to keep the defense from creeping up. He is very used to and comfortable with rolling out and throwing on the run. He played his entire college career on a lousy team where everyone stormed him.

3. Most important. He has the coaching staff. Between Mike Mularkey being not only offensive minded but innovative, TC a former quarterback as OC, and Sam Wyche, one of the best QB coaches ever, he really couldn't be coming into a much better situation. I would be very worried if he had GW as his coach and Killdrive as his OC.

381462[/snapback]

>>>>I would be very worried if he had GW as his coach and Killdrive as his OC.<<<<<

Yeah, that would really suck. Especially if you throw Travis Henry in the mix to fumble, slide on his dumb ass, run wrong pass routes miss blocks, and lose football games, right?

Never mind.....Drew was fully to blame. With JP, there is zero to fear, rookie or not.

>>>>I would be very worried if he had GW as his coach and Killdrive as his OC.<<<<<

Yeah, that would really suck. Especially if you throw Travis Henry in the mix to fumble, slide on his dumb ass, run wrong pass routes miss blocks, and lose football games, right?

Never mind.....Drew was fully to blame. With JP, there is zero to fear, rookie or not.

382263[/snapback]

The most remarkable element of your brilliant post is that you didn't bring up the fact that there is no smoking in bars in New York. Jesus Christ.

382263[/snapback]

Sticking up for Greggggg and Killdrive now Bill?

You've changed. You'r a different man now I tell ya. You've changed............. :D

382263[/snapback]

Losman is not a rookie. People are making this mistake so many times they should put it on the that Mythbusters show.

Good post, RNJ. The thing that makes me confident that JP can step in and perform adequately is three fold:

1. He is not expected or needed to be the savior. He has a couple stars on the offense already, a stud running back to rely on, a smart veteran WR and a budding star speedster WR with hands, and he has a defense that will allow him to not have to pass all day and special teams that can get him out of trouble and set him up in good field position to start.

2. He has all the tools. His legs can get him out of trouble. He has the arm strength to throw deep, if only to keep the defense from creeping up. He is very used to and comfortable with rolling out and throwing on the run. He played his entire college career on a lousy team where everyone stormed him.

3. Most important. He has the coaching staff. Between Mike Mularkey being not only offensive minded but innovative, TC a former quarterback as OC, and Sam Wyche, one of the best QB coaches ever, he really couldn't be coming into a much better situation. I would be very worried if he had GW as his coach and Killdrive as his OC.

381462[/snapback]

Point number 2 describes a certain QB from a few years ago ... Mr. Rob Johnson. I think JP will do ok but he looks like Rob, is a Cali boy like Rob .... I hope he doesnt play like Rob