(LAMP) I love working in IT...

Fezmid

Just think of all that  overtime pay and the extra $$ you get for working weekends...

Tha'ts what I do when I work my 4AM to 4 PM shift...Yeehaw

378210[/snapback]

That'd be great, if I weren't salary... :lol:

No extra money for me. *sigh*

1.5 hours more, and I hit 70 for the week! Yeehaw. :D:w00t:;)

CW

That'd be great, if I weren't salary... :(

No extra money for me. *sigh*

1.5 hours more, and I hit 70 for the week!  Yeehaw.  :w00t:  ;)  :lol:

CW

378212[/snapback]

who do you work for Fez? those are some serious hours and to include overnight weekend hours? :D

who do you work for Fez?  those are some serious hours and to include overnight weekend hours?  :D

378215[/snapback]

I'm a UNIX admin; working nights and weekends is part of the job... Although this downtime was supposed to be done at 2am... We're going a bit over the window (we're about 90% up right now...).

Anyone know Samba? :w00t:

CW

I love coffee with amaretto creamer.  :D

378222[/snapback]

I had two bottles of Dew, and a bottle of Frapaccino (or whatever that Starbucks cold coffee drink is; I don't even like coffee, but I wanted the caffeine).

CW

I had two bottles of Dew, and a bottle of Frapaccino (or whatever that Starbucks cold coffee drink is; I don't even like coffee, but I wanted the caffeine).

CW

378223[/snapback]

Guess you won't be falling asleep very fast when you get home. :D

CW

378223[/snapback]

Do they let you stock up comp time? We can get salary plus if it's requested ahead of time with generally known hours - happens rarely - literally takes a war (last time was during the invasion). But, within the shop, no one says much if one takes an few hours here or there.

For those kinds of times and hours, would be the least they could do.

Do they let you stock up comp time? We can get salary plus if it's requested ahead of time with generally known hours - happens rarely - literally takes a war (last time was during the invasion). But, within the shop, no one says much if one takes an few hours here or there.

For those kinds of times and hours, would be the least they could do.

378228[/snapback]

Yeah, my manager's manager has said they owe me some serious comp time. I'm thinking close to a week... (I've worked 57 hours, 62 hours, and now 72 hours the last 3 weeks. EEK!). We'll see though; the problem is that the other sysadmin quit, so it's me and a new guy, with another new guy starting next Monday (18th). Basically, I'm doing the work of three people. And it sucks...

Maybe it's time to look for a new job...

CW

Yeah, my manager's manager has said they owe me some serious comp time.  I'm thinking close to a week... (I've worked 57 hours, 62 hours, and now 72 hours the last 3 weeks.  EEK!).  We'll see though; the problem is that the other sysadmin quit, so it's me and a new guy, with another new guy starting next Monday (18th).  Basically, I'm doing the work of three people.  And it sucks...

CW

378229[/snapback]

Once the new guys get on-line, it might not be that bad. Help get them trained up and it should raise your stock. Those are some bruising hours, though. There should be a limit. Once folks start consistently running around 65-70 a week, there is too much potential for mistakes. Management fails to see that a lot of times. And I don't know anything about IT - but I'd hazard to guess they aren't doing it for giggles. Must be quite a customer need.

Once the new guys get on-line, it might not be that bad. Help get them trained up and it should raise your stock. Those are some bruising hours, though. There should be a limit. Once folks start consistently running around 65-70 a week, there is too much potential for mistakes. Management fails to see that a lot of times, though. And I don't know anything about IT - but I'd hazard to guess they aren't doing it for giggles. Must be quite a customer need.

378231[/snapback]

Yup, it's a need. We have a very big product that makes millions in the mergers and aquisition field. Apparantly 95% of it is still done on paper, but our company has a way to do it all online and it's starting to catch on. We're pretty much the only players in the field right now, so staying on top of the game is very important for market share (and mucho $$$).

I'm going home now... :D

CW

Once the new guys get on-line, it might not be that bad. Help get them trained up and it should raise your stock. Those are some bruising hours, though. There should be a limit. Once folks start consistently running around 65-70 a week, there is too much potential for mistakes. Management fails to see that a lot of times. And I don't know anything about IT - but I'd hazard to guess they aren't doing it for giggles. Must be quite a customer need.

378231[/snapback]

I would add, Fez -- train them, but don't train them all of the little ins and outs. You always want to be the only guy who knows everything. In this day and age, unfortunately, you need all the job security you can get. :D

As for the bellyaching, call me when you put in half days working construction and stone walls. Rain or shine. Slam your finger b/w two stones? Too bad, work on. Some days, I can't wait to find a desk job.

As for the bellyaching, call me when you put in half days working construction and stone walls. Rain or shine. Slam your finger b/w two stones? Too bad, work on. Some days, I can't wait to find a desk job.

378235[/snapback]

Cool. Wanna build me something? :D

We'll see though; the problem is that the other sysadmin quit, so it's me and a new guy

This is not your problem so don't make it your problem.

CW

378229[/snapback]

Zactly. At the very least, make sure they give you that time off. And take it all at once. And take it soon. "Oh, my child is sick, my wife hurt her foot and can't move around and my father is in town unexpectedly...so I'll be taking tht comp time next week."

Nothing like working from 4pm Sat to 4am (and later) Sun morning... :D

At least I'm (hopefully) going to get to go home in the next half hour *crosses fingers*.

CW

378207[/snapback]

Tough stuff - I hope the comp, bennies, or $ are worth it...that is exactly why I got out of IT. I have to work extra hours, too, but fortunately, it is on my own schedule. I have been through those 24 hr. binges and what not when I was in IT. But I have a family and a real life and did not want my reflections years later to be: Remember when we worked all those hours on the XXX project(s)... I had the opportunity to get out of IT but now I am empathatic when working with them on project timelines, implementation, support, etc.

I would add, Fez -- train them, but don't train them all of the little ins and outs. You always want to be the only guy who knows everything. In this day and age, unfortunately, you need all the job security you can get. :D

Depends on your situation....personally, I'm in a similar boat as Fez, where I'm the only one who knows my particular piece of the puzzle. That means if anything breaks in the middle of the night, or when I'm out at a party, or driving to work...nothing can get fixed until I get there. I'd gladly trade my job security for having someone else who knows my stuff, because life really sucks otherwise. Then again, I haven't got a family to feed (or a mortgage to feed), so getting canned wouldn't bother me as much.

378235[/snapback]

Some days, I can't wait to find a construction job. Sure, you have to work in the rain sometimes, but it can't be that bad. You get exercise all day, you are outside, and when you get home from work, you don't have to worry about work. As I mentioned above, never underestimate the value of work not following you home.

Yeah, my manager's manager has said they owe me some serious comp time.  I'm thinking close to a week... (I've worked 57 hours, 62 hours, and now 72 hours the last 3 weeks.  EEK!).  We'll see though; the problem is that the other sysadmin quit, so it's me and a new guy, with another new guy starting next Monday (18th).  Basically, I'm doing the work of three people.  And it sucks...

CW

378229[/snapback]

Make sure you take your comp time. I'm an IT manager and I feel people should get comp time for the long hours they work. Problem is, in most cases comp time isn't really official - it's between the manager and the employee. That means the comp time pretty much goes up in smoke if something changes. If you leave the company isn't going to pay you for it and if your manager leaves the new manager may not honor your comp time.

As for the job security people are talking about, don't fool yourself into thinking anything you know will prevent you from being separated from the company (either being laid off or taking another job without a huge fight to keep you) - nobody is irreplaceable - it's simply a matter of how much pain it takes to bring in someone else and train them to do what needs to be done.