For those who need a hockey fix

They had better not give every team an equal shot at the top pick in the draft.

376849[/snapback]

That was one of my biggest questions about missing the entire season. I don't think that is fair but I'm not sure how to determine it either. Can't have the same team pick #1 back to back.

That was one of my biggest questions about missing the entire season.  I don't think that is fair but I'm not sure how to determine it either.  Can't have the same team pick #1 back to back.

376856[/snapback]

I think a weighted lottery based on the last 3-4 seasons PLUS player payroll factored in would be a good way to do it.

I think a weighted lottery based on the last 3-4 seasons PLUS player payroll factored in would be a good way to do it.

376857[/snapback]

nothing like building a system that meets the sabres needs. Every team wants Crosby, They will all get an equal shot.

nothing like building a system that meets the sabres needs. Every team wants Crosby, They will all get an equal shot.

376869[/snapback]

I don't see giving the Detroits, Colorados, and NY Rangers and their unlimited resources an equal chance at the top pick in the draft just because the NHL took a year off.

I don't see giving the Detroits, Colorados, and NY Rangers and their unlimited resources an equal chance at the top pick in the draft just because the NHL took a year off.

376879[/snapback]

If the CBA is anything like what is being rumored, hopefully the free spenders(PHI, COL, DET, DAL, NYR & TOR) of past years will be brought back to the pack. Does that mean I agree that they should have an equal shot at Crosby? No, but I don't believe the draft will be "heavily" weighted toward the league lesser lites of the last couple of years.

376879[/snapback]

This has to be thought of more from a marketing perspective than in normal drafts. Crosby could be the next Gretzky (or the next lindros, who knows), but if he is great, its important for the popularity of the NHL that he is on a big market team, especially the Rangers. There are so many people in New York who aren't really hockey fans, but if they had something to get excited about, they'd be watching.

OTOH, places like Toronto and Detroit probably shouldn't get him, because they already have most of their potential market as fans. The worst thing that could happen would be for him to go to a team like Carolina, where there really isn't a hockey market. Even if he were great on a team like that, there wouldn't be the coverage and excitement about hockey that the NHL desperately needs.

The worst thing that could happen would be for him to go to a team like Carolina, where there really isn't a hockey market.  Even if he were great on a team like that, there wouldn't be the coverage and excitement about hockey that the NHL desperately needs.

376947[/snapback]

I wouldn't call it the worst thing. The fans here in Carolina were amazing when they made their playoff run a few years ago. Thats all anyone wanted to talk about was hockey. To get the fans interested again that would be a great thing for hockey here in Carolina. But to get fans around North America excited about hockey, I do see your point. It would be good for the NHL if he went to a big hockey market. However, if he doesn't go to the Sabres, I would love to see him here in Raleigh. Yes, I'm being selfish. :doh:

The worst thing that could happen would be for him to go to a team like Carolina, where there really isn't a hockey market.  Even if he were great on a team like that, there wouldn't be the coverage and excitement about hockey that the NHL desperately needs.

376947[/snapback]

There are probably some in the big market cities that see Sidney Crosby landing in Buffalo in similar terms to your Carolina example. I understand your point. I want to see Crosby as a Sabre, of course! I also don't want Crosby in Carolina! A similar logic is having Crosby play for a Canadian team like Gretzky's playing in Edmonton. In time, if Crosby is "The Next One", he will most likely switch teams to a city with a larger profile. If a salary cap becomes a reality, players will try to make more money with marketing "projects" on the side.

The fans here in Carolina were amazing when they made their playoff run a few years ago.  Thats all anyone wanted to talk about was hockey.

376958[/snapback]

Guess they forgot about it after that :lol:2004 attendance

Anyway, it may be something of a moot point; Crosby is talking to a Swiss team about a rather large contract. The rumor is that he is using this as a bargaining chip, if he is drafted by a team that he doesn't want to play for. He'll either demand a trade, then just go to Switzerland if he doesn't get it. I'd imagine that he wouldn't use this option if he were picked by any canadian team, or a big market US team. But if a small market US team got him, he'd demand a trade. I think he'd play for the Sabres though if we got him, because of the proximity to Toronto and the opportunity to play a key role on a team that should be a contender quickly.