WGR=ESPN???

Come on Scoop, If it's good enough for ESPN than it's good enough for WGR!! Get real. http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20050702/1068690.asp

On a side note. I like listening to Brad R., but what's up with the other gr sports guys calling in to his show? You guys have your own show. If I want to hear your comments I will listen to your show. I don't listen to your show because it SUCKS.

So please stop calling in and bring Brad's show down.

I gave up on WGR a while ago because of all the OT discussions. But in their defense, the trend appeared to be driven by a severe lack of callers rather than an overt programming change. I can't tell you how many times I tried listening to Brad at night when the phones weren't ringing and he was just furiously treading water trying to fill air time.

The lack of calls could be a sign that Sports Talk Radio has peaked. Or maybe it just shows how limited the concept is when there's no hockey to fill the months between the NFL season. In any event, the return of the NHL should help things this fall.

Hate to say it but I think the newspaper guy is right.

Have to agree that there is not much to discuss during this dead point

of the year.

If you start talking about whats on TV....or a lame dancing show, then I start

dial hopping.

being from Rochester i don't listen to WGR...and i know a lot of people in Buffalo are down on Schopp. When he was on in Rochester (WHTK) I enjoyed listening to him. i thought he was very solid.

i like a sports talk show that will bring other entertainment topics into conversation. Afterall...sports is entertainment.

Tony Kornhieser is a master at it. Although I would have no interest in talking about a program such as "Dancing with the Stars",....(never heard of it actually), i find a segment on the good TV show more entertaining than the same old rant.

in Rochester we have Brad Davies and Bob Matthews. I know some people are devoted fans of both. I can't stand listening to either of them. Mattews simply repeats everything he reads in The Sporting News or Sports Illustrated...or worse what he hears some no-talent talking head say on ESPN. Brad Davies has the same morons call in day after day after day after day to talk about the Yankees.

GAG!

If you can't find something sports related to talk about in Buffalo, your head is up your arse. There are so many different angles to cover in WNY that it's literally impossible to run out of topics.

You can't make the argument that we are a two sport team. 85% of Buffalo is Yankee's fans. You can talk baseball for 9 months a year. In Buffalo, you can get away with talking football all year long. Also, even though hockey was off this year there was plenty to talk about.

I'll listen to debate on who's the best option at center over 'who's the boss' any day of the week. I listen to WGR still but the quality of programming has seriously fallen.

The writer is spot on. If I want to listen to drama on the radio, Howard Stern is only a minute down the dial.

T-R

funny everyone hates OT on the radio..yet every OT topic on here gets 5x as many hits as sports takes

375653[/snapback]

Stories are more personal here, imho. I'm more curious if Alaska Darren was eatin by a bear, than who won the 'real gilligan's island'. If I was on the radio to talk sports and paid for it, that's what I'd do.

I do agree though that WAY more attention is paid to OT topics in the offseason. Do you think it will be different next year when we have hockey to hold us over?

t-r

Actually the morning show hasn't been as bad the past couple of weeks.. A little more football topics every other day or so and the around the league in 28 days or what ever it is,is a nice touch.. Getting team updates from all the other NFL cities,even if the segment is about 8 minutes long.. :devil:

There was some decent JP discussion today as well, I hope they stick with the football talk a little more.. Some discussion about the Center would be nice and the potential of our boy from Illinois,who just signed..

By the way,anyone heard the advertisement for Football Mondays coming this fall to WGR, is the Coach coming back for this show..? There is no indication of the time for this show,maybe it will be the 10am to 12 noon slot that Riter/Hamilton filled last season.. Loved the Coaches insight on the team and the players ability or lack of in some cases..

Pergament's always good for a few memorable quips....

"It (ESPN) doesn't intentionally make bad movies. But the overwhelming odds are the movies will be bad."

"If ESPN wants to turn into Spike TV, then I want my money back."

He missed a golden opportunity with his last shot, though:

Now that WGR has waged its spirited defense, it should tweak its promo slogan to something more accurate. How about, "Sports Talk When Nothing Gets in the Way"?

How about something that directly ties in with WGR's heritage - "When sports news breaks out, we break in" !! :devil:

(I'd love to take credit for that slam, but I ripped it off from another board I read. Yezi, if you're on here, you rock....)

By the way,anyone heard the advertisement for Football Mondays coming this fall to WGR, is the Coach coming back for this show..? There is no indication of the time for this show,maybe it will be the 10am to 12 noon slot that Riter/Hamilton filled last season.. Loved the Coaches insight on the team and the players ability or lack of in some cases..

I doubt if one of the coaches will include Chuch D.. More than likely they will be a ECC, UB or high school football coach.

I gave up on WGR a while ago because of all the OT discussions.  But in their defense, the trend appeared to be driven by a severe lack of callers rather than an overt programming change. 

375510[/snapback]

Lack of callers? If they streamed on the internet so us out-of-towners could listen, that problem would be solved.

PTR

I gave up on WGR a while ago because of all the OT discussions.  But in their defense, the trend appeared to be driven by a severe lack of callers rather than an overt programming change.  I can't tell you how many times I tried listening to Brad at night when the phones weren't ringing and he was just furiously treading water trying to fill air time.

The lack of calls could be a sign that Sports Talk Radio has peaked.  Or maybe it just shows how limited the concept is when there's no hockey to fill the months between the NFL season.  In any event, the return of the NHL should help things this fall.

375510[/snapback]

Perhaps it's a problem with the way they set up the callers, instead of people "unwilling" to talk. I think they could really learn a lot by how things were formatted on WNSA, which was usually:

a.) 4-5 topics on a variety of sports, including potentially a "wacky/pseudo-sports related" one.

b.) "open forum" to talk about something besides said topics (the topics were more "conversation starters" rather than "this is all we'll discuss today").

c.) Be tolerant of callers, to a degree. Don't insist on calling someone stupid right off the bat because their ideas conflict with yours.

Just a thought...

c.) Be tolerant of callers, to a degree.  Don't insist on calling someone stupid right off the bat because their ideas conflict with yours.

Just a thought...

376598[/snapback]

well that is a pretty stupid idea dan! :doh:

I gave up on WGR a while ago because of all the OT discussions.  But in their defense, the trend appeared to be driven by a severe lack of callers rather than an overt programming change.  I can't tell you how many times I tried listening to Brad at night when the phones weren't ringing and he was just furiously treading water trying to fill air time.

The lack of calls could be a sign that Sports Talk Radio has peaked.  Or maybe it just shows how limited the concept is when there's no hockey to fill the months between the NFL season.  In any event, the return of the NHL should help things this fall.

375510[/snapback]

I live in Boston and listen to WEEI's Dennis and Calahan in the AM and on the way home from work listen to the Big Show with Glenn Ordway. Both shows mix sports and relvant OT information and engage callers. Granted Boston has more to talk about because of the Sox, etc. it does offer more than just sports at times...this was especially true when there are a lot of relevant national news topics.

There is an adage is Hollywood that a TV show or a film should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS stick to the story. If you leave the story, you're dead.

Unless it's funny.

Then all rules are off, and keep it in because people will like it.

The same thing applies to sports radio. If the OT topics are good, or the bits are funny, it will work, and it will entertain people. If not, and they are not at GR for the most part from what I have read and heard, stick to the story/sports because you will lose the audience.