Who's seen War of the Worlds?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will never be a greater WOTW soundtrack/audio than this:

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

371711[/snapback]

Why are you calling this the original soundtrack? I believe this came out in the 70's and although I will admit it is great, even the 50's movie predates it.

Between Burton's narration and the mental image the opening of the first ship, this is one great recording. Although for all I know, maybe Wayne did it for a British release of some sort. Did he?

Why are you calling this the original soundtrack?  I believe this came out in the 70's and  although I will admit it is great, even the 50's movie predates it.

Between Burton's narration and the mental image the opening of the first ship, this is one great recording.  Although for all I know, maybe Wayne did it for a British release of some sort.  Did he?

372292[/snapback]

You're right, Jeff Wayne's version is in the 70s.

There is going to be a WOTW version (very low budget I will assume) in 2007 that features this music.

Why are you calling this the original soundtrack?  I believe this came out in the 70's and  although I will admit it is great, even the 50's movie predates it.

Between Burton's narration and the mental image the opening of the first ship, this is one great recording.  Although for all I know, maybe Wayne did it for a British release of some sort.  Did he?

372292[/snapback]

I think it was a British version. I remember my teacher playing it to us when I was a kid in school there. I cut out of work to watch the movie today. It was pretty intense. When it was over, I was surprised that it had been 2 hours. overall it was a very good movie. Batman Begins has still been my favorite this summer.

We saw it last night.........Very good entertainment, well done, the FX and sound was fantastic. In the book wasn't there a reference to "sirens"? Well the "sirens" in the movie created an edge of your seat fear.

PS - I could give a crap about Tom Cruise and his issues....I pay money for entertainers to entertain me, I am really not interested in their life issues.

We saw it last night.........Very good entertainment, well done, the FX and sound was fantastic.  In the book wasn't there a  reference to "sirens"? Well the "sirens" in the movie created an edge of your seat fear.

373493[/snapback]

Are you referring to the noise the tripods made? That was spooky.

Are you referring to the noise the tripods made?  That was spooky.

373511[/snapback]

The old "Trumpet of doom" sound. Yeah that was great.

I think in some ways its Spielberg's way of tipping the hat to his "Close Encounters" movie.

Remember when the mothership "sings" to the people at the landing base, it kinda of sounded like that. But in a much nicer sounding key.

Also, is there supposed to a loud trumpet that plays before the end of the world in the bible?

I kinda of thought that was what they were going for...

Just saw World of the Wars, thought the film was good but have to say, a lot of actors could have replaced Cruise and done just as good a job. Tim Robbins should have been the lead and Cruise could have played his part. He sure got the acting wacky part down.

The ending to the film was the same as the Well's Book (which is a classic in SF literature). In the book the tripods came with the aliens so there was no million year plan, this was Speilberg's attempt to shape the story to his own vision and make it more dramatic. Such of stuck to the book.

Was nice thought to see Gene Barry, the star of the George Pal Fan, do a cameo at the end.

Of course, playing the King Kong trailer before the film made me want to see this film big time. If the movie lives up to the trailer, Jackson will become a movie god.

Gene Barry? How the heck dod I miss that? Was he the Father-in-law at the end?

BTW he played Dr. Clayton Forrester in the movie. Where else do we find Dr. Forrester?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Gene Barry?  How the heck dod I miss that?  Was he the Father-in-law at the end?

BTW he played Dr. Clayton Forrester in the movie.  Where else do we find Dr. Forrester?

Anyone?

Anyone?

373729[/snapback]

In the not too distant future...somewhere in Deep 13...

I think in some ways its Spielberg's way of tipping the hat to his "Close Encounters" movie.

373696[/snapback]

I believe I heard somewhere that the noise the tripods made is actually in Close Encounters at one point. I would love to get a nice clear MP3 file of that noise, that would make a sweet cell phone ringer!

By the way, not only was Gene Barry in this version, the female leading role in the 53 film (played by Ann Robinson), was also in the film. They were the in laws at the end.

saw this today w/ my wife. entertaining, but overall an average movie. not even close to batman begins. they did a good job of keeping it "scary" throughout but i never found myself really caring about cruise's character or his troubled relationship w/ his kids.

with respect to "alien invasion" movies, independence day is still much better, IMO.

Went and saw it today...I thought it was "okay". Special effects were great, but they were supposed to be. I still think "Batman Begins" was more intense. I was more pissed that the theatre I saw it at didn't have the new "King Kong" trailer. They had the "Elizabethtown" trailer w/ Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst, geez nothing like a chic flick to get you pumped up for the big movie.

Saw it, loved it. It's nice to finally see an action sci-fi film not use their actors as just merely props. You get the very real feeling of what fleeing and hiding from alien killing machines would be like. Dakota Fanning was great too.

One last note. It was great NOT to see countless tounge-in-cheek one liners a la Will Smith in Independence Day, or the entire cast of Armegedden, or and every other sci-fi action flick since. Kind of takes away the realism factor when everybody is cracking jokes as the world is supposedly coming to an end. Kudos to Speilberg.