Breaking News

VABills

I know this will get me in trouble. But it has to be said. :w00t: I'm just joking around anyways...

I heard he was found in Michael Jackson's bedroom. :blink:

PS: Thank God he's still alive. That's great news. :huh:

That's some amazing country where he got lost. A short drive from here. It's vast and beautiful, but it's wild and dangerous.

I was up there with the wife a couple of years ago, and we arrived at a trailhead/campsite about 10 minutes after lightning struck and killed a husband and wife. Their three kids were nearby and got struck, but survived. It was awful. We helped care for them until the helicopters arrived. I'll never forget it.

The kid certainly isn't the brightest bulb of the bunch. Parents taught him not to talk to strangers, so the kid gets lost and hides whenever he hears strangers approaching on the path, jeopardizing his life. I guess his parents never taught him the difference between talking to strangers who initiate something when there's no need and asking for the help of a stranger when you're in dire need of the other person's help.

I hope this kid's family never has an accident where he's the only one left awake. He might just be stupid enough to hide under the front seat rather than flag a car down for help.

The kid needs to learn some common sense.

The kid certainly isn't the brightest bulb of the bunch.  Parents taught him not to talk to strangers, so the kid gets lost and hides whenever he hears strangers approaching on the path, jeopardizing his life.  I guess his parents never taught him the difference between talking to strangers who initiate something when there's no need and asking for the help of a stranger when you're in dire need of the other person's help.

I hope this kid's family never has an accident where he's the only one left awake.  He might just be stupid enough to hide under the front seat rather than flag a car down for help. 

364711[/snapback]

I was thinking along the same lines. The parents said "He doesn't have much sense of direction..." WTF happened to the Boy Scouts? I thought they were good at this "do stuff in the woods" thing? On top of that, they're heaping praises on him. If I were one of the searchers, I'd have a word with Dad. Or two.

The kid certainly isn't the brightest bulb of the bunch. Parents taught him not to talk to strangers, so the kid gets lost and hides whenever he hears strangers approaching on the path, jeopardizing his life. I guess his parents never taught him the difference between talking to strangers who initiate something when there's no need and asking for the help of a stranger when you're in dire need of the other person's help.

I hope this kid's family never has an accident where he's the only one left awake. He might just be stupid enough to hide under the front seat rather than flag a car down for help.

I thought that since he was a Boy Scout, he would already know this. Strange...

I thought that since he was a Boy Scout, he would already know this.  Strange...

364720[/snapback]

He went up instead of down where water was. I've heard that these days, one can get a merit badge in "It' ALL about ME!". Can't say for sure; I heard that on an AM radio show several months ago.

Back in da OLD days, we were taught how to use a wristwatch to point the hour arm at ther sun at 3:45 PM, and the 1:30 position was more or less south (in the Northern Hemisphere. IF you did not carry your compass. :P). You ALWAYS carried your knife and your canteen.. always.

One generally carried the standard BSA mirror, to flash rescue aircraft, a dinky magnifying glass for fire, a knife, some string. We wern't allowed out in the woods unless we could recognize the bad berries, and the succulent plants etc.

We were taught to trap for food, fish with a flexible branch and how to make both string and hook, and to use animal brains to smear on pelts (squirrels) to tan them in the sun, and save the tendons to bind arrowheads tight with the sun, and overcook meat to get a glue to bind the fletch. Were tasught what boughs to cut for a bed and warmth.

The Girl Scouts got pretty much the same stuff. My oldest sister could pick out a good maple sapling, hew it, strip the bark and lick the liquid, split it and make a barbed fish trap spring spear out of that flexible youngwood, and set out the bark shavings in the sun to give tinder and thread.

We also learned the Indian stick and dirt markings for bad water, due north at sunset, dangrous trails and so forth.

I won't blame anyone who has the urge to slap the dayights out of me after that tedious walk down memory lane... :D

He went up instead of down where water was. I've heard that these days, one can get a merit badge in "It' ALL about ME!". Can't say for sure; I heard that on an AM radio show several months ago.

Back in da OLD days, we were taught how to use a wristwatch to point the hour arm at ther sun at 3:45 PM, and the 1:30 position was more or less south (in the Northern Hemisphere. IF you did not carry your compass. :P).  You ALWAYS carried your knife and your canteen.. always.

One generally carried the standard BSA mirror, to flash rescue aircraft, a dinky magnifying glass for fire, a knife, some string. We wern't allowed out in the woods unless we could recognize the bad berries, and the succulent plants etc.

We were taught to trap for food, fish with a flexible branch and how to make both string and hook, and to use animal brains to smear on pelts (squirrels) to tan them in the sun, and save the tendons to bind arrowheads tight with the sun, and overcook meat to get a glue to bind the fletch. Were tasught what boughs to cut for a bed and warmth.

The Girl Scouts got pretty much the same stuff. My oldest sister could pick out a good maple sapling, hew it, strip the bark and lick the liquid, split it and make a barbed fish trap spring spear out of that flexible youngwood, and set out the bark shavings in the sun to give tinder and thread.

We also learned the Indian stick and dirt markings for bad water, due north at sunset, dangrous trails and so forth.

I won't blame anyone who has the urge to slap the dayights out of me after that tedious walk down memory lane... :D

364765[/snapback]

Not by me at all.