Congress votes to slash US contributions to UN

But still, it's an important, if flawed, organization- anyone who doesn't think so is loco.

361803[/snapback]

Entonces soy "loco."

The UN is only useful as a forum for Western European nations to feel important. In matters of actually resolving international conflicts, it is utterly devoid of relevance without the monetary and military resources of the US.

Trust me, I'm right. And you're wrong. There are a lot of people in Africa, Central America, and Southeast Asia who would agree with my point of view. That is, the ones still alive...

There are a lot of people in Africa, Central America, and Southeast Asia who would agree with my point of view. That is, the ones still alive...

361910[/snapback]

there are also many in Africa, Central America, and Southeast Asia who see the UN as a good forum to denounce us and try to make us feel guilty for our military power and economic prosperity

there are also many in Africa, Central America, and Southeast Asia who see the UN as a good forum to denounce us and try to make us feel guilty for our military power and economic prosperity

361912[/snapback]

Yup, that's pretty well it. Time to quit playing "Clinton Games". I'm all for it. If anyone payed any attention, it became a bit of a different UN during those eight years than it was before. It was bad, but got a lot worse. The only useful purpose it serves us now are basically under the table networks on the side for State. And, they don't get much done anyway.

Yup, that's pretty well it. Time to quit playing "Clinton Games". I'm all for it. If anyone payed any attention, it became a bit of a different UN during those eight years than it was before. It was bad, but got a lot worse. The only useful purpose it serves us now are basically under the table networks on the side for State. And, they don't get much done anyway.

361919[/snapback]

Sounds frighteningly to our government...

I liken the UN annd US to a football game between kids.  The UN is the main group of kids, the US is the rich kid who provides the football.  Don't play by the rich kid's rule?  He pouts and goes home, WITH THE FOOTBALL.

362122[/snapback]

Murphy's Golden Rule...

He who has the gold makes the rules

Totally agree.  Yep, when it goes the other way, some have a real hard time excepting it... Especially on this board.  They whine like kids.

:(

362172[/snapback]

You are against the war in Iraq, correct?

Can I take the above to mean that you will no longer complain about it because those for it are in power at this time?

I liken the UN annd US to a football game between kids.  The UN is the main group of kids, the US is the rich kid who provides the football.  Don't play by the rich kid's rule?  He pouts and goes home, WITH THE FOOTBALL.

362122[/snapback]

How do you suggest that the U.S. pressure the UN to reform, if not by witholding dues? It will never happen if they are left to do it themselves. The Dems do not want Bolton, someone who would go there to kick some azz.

You are against the war in Iraq, correct?

Can I take the above to mean that you will no longer complain about it because those for it are in power at this time?

362177[/snapback]

Yes, that is correct sir.

Do you really here me complain about it? In fact, I disagree with it. That doesn't preclude me from saying I wouldn't give my all to help out... In fact I have said. Right now, I have said I am not in position to voultarily help out my employer. If I am mandated to go on TDY, I would go with all my best intentions, give my best and embrace it. The war might even be a way that I finish my government career? I don't know what the cards hold?

I was against starting the mess, now that we are there... I would do nothing to undermine it... In fact help if I could.

How do you suggest that the U.S. pressure the UN to reform, if not by witholding dues? It will never happen if they are left to do it themselves. The Dems do not want Bolton, someone who would go there to kick some azz.

362189[/snapback]

You pose a good question. It is like the voucher system and schools... What happens to the public school districts in the underadvataged areas when the money is pulled out?

You pose a good question.  It is like the voucher system and schools... What happens to the public school districts in the underadvataged areas when the money is pulled out?

362191[/snapback]

...but, if the money is not pulled out, where is the incentive to change the system for the better?

362189[/snapback]

We should just as them real politely. That's likely to work. :(

...but, if the money is not pulled out, where is the incentive to change the system for the better?

362201[/snapback]

EII can't face the fact that large organizations with lots of money are inherently corrupt. He lives life by the "Rainbow Connection" mantra. "The lovers, the dreamers, and me..."

La da da dee, da da da...

We should just as them real politely.  That's likely to work.  :blink:

362207[/snapback]

Well, we can wait decades for them to pass countless resolutions stating that they might possibly do something in the future, but they do not want to commit to anything at this time for fear of upsetting someone.