Buffalo #3 Cleanest City in USA

Tom

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

San Jose is real spread out. Most of the city is actually suburban. The downtown doesn't rise very high. The location of the airport very near downtown limits the tallest buildings (Adobe HQ) to be about 15 stories. Even so, it is bigger than SF (>900,000 vs 750,000)

I love Buffalo too, but somehow, I am finding this hard to believe...

360145[/snapback]

It's the perfect "50" in water quality that pushed us to the top. Bethlehem Steel was just upstream of the city water intake. It's true that the water is much better since the major employer/pollutors left town. However you can still taste the old sediments when churned up by storms.

There is some confusion here as some are counting only federal pollution sites while others are also or instead counting New York State Superfund sites.

858 East Ferry is a good example as this site is not on the federal list (or anywhere near being bad enough to be on it (these are places such as the Stringfellow Acid Pits in CA that Rita LaVelle went to jail over when she was appointed by Ronald Reagan and negotiated sweetheart deals with the polluter or the Pfohl Brothers site near the Buffalo airport where who knows what the dumped in there).

858 E. Ferry is a NYS inactive (meaning currently no dumping) hazardous waste site site. It is not a federal site but is a danger to the community. Idiots can argue is isn't but to do so:

1. Ignores the fact that the City of Buffalo dumped contaminated incinerator ash on the site for years as a dump site and to fill in the space over Scajacquada Creek which was covered in Roosevelt era WPA projects.

2. Ignores the fact that DEC and citizen testing has dine sampling which has found lead, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and other substances which have been shown in the accepted tests to be known or potential carcinogens at levels far above normal soil levels in surface soils (I think the lead findings for example were in the thousands of parts per million in some soil samples even though the clean-up standards in NJ (NYS has no clean-up standards for lead because it does not want to meet then) is 250 parts per million at least for an occupied area and 1000 parts per million for an industrial site.

3. Lead is a health problem. Socrates wrote about it. ben Franklin wrote about it so it is not brain surgery at all that lead exposures harm people and rob kids of IQ points. The surface levels of lead at 858 E. Ferry and near sub-surface levels of lead at a site which was completely open and uncontrolled 4-5 years ago and has the soil currently kept in with a chair link fence is a clear health hazard.

4. Not only does the Center for Disease Control and Prevention state that lead poisoning is 100% preventable (we have the knowledge and technology we simply refuse to spend the money as we would rather lower taxes than spend the money we collect on this issue), but right across the street from this site is not only True Bethel Baptist Church as some pointed out, but the Church has taken a stand for the community by being the home to a Charter School. Their action is admirable forthe community, but due to the inactive hazardous waste site we send 200 kids to be educated each day within the shadow of lead exposures which may rob them of IQ points.

And so it goes.

The whole thing makes no sense as our county hat hit a financial wall which has it not able to run its lead poisoning pevention campaigns while at the same time it id promoting use of County golf facilities even in the face of this budget crunch since golf courses produce income.

And so it goes.

If anyone once to get info on haardous waste sites in Erie County then call Citizen Action of Erie County at 716 858-6468 (I think) and they can provide you with a map for NYS or call Rep. Brian Higgins 202 224-3121 (general Capitol Hill # I think) and he can give you the report he generated when he was in the state assembly which showed NYS spending far less money per capita on harardous waste clean-up in Erie County than in the rest of the state.

Sounds like your an environmental consultant?. I worked there for 15 years in the environmental field. I was in charge of the first round of soil sampling at Hickory Woods subdivision in Buffalo. Do you know that one!

If anyone once to get info on haardous waste sites in Erie County then call Citizen Action of Erie County at 716 858-6468

361295[/snapback]

Do you work with Citizen action? That is a great organization! As an activist I have worked with them many times. I am not normally involved in enviromental justice issues but I am getting involved with Citizens Enviromental Coalition concerning the high amounts of benzene (among others) emitions found in air samples in North BUffalo and Tonowanda.

Do you work with Citizen action? That is a great organization! As an activist I have worked with them many times. I am not normally involved in enviromental justice issues but I am getting involved with Citizens Enviromental Coalition concerning the high amounts of benzene (among others) emitions found in air samples in North BUffalo and Tonowanda.

361410[/snapback]

benzene is probably from underground storge tanks that have leaked into the groundwater.

Buffalo has one of the highest concentration of toxic waste sites in the country. You can't go more than a a few miles without running into a Superfund site.

Maybe our polution hit such a critical point that it has hit a metaphysical milestone, like an event horizon in a black hole. Once the concentrations of polution hit a certain point it starts to reverse itself!

360058[/snapback]

Is that what Big Cat would say?

:devil: Somehow, this ranking does not tempt me to move back to the Big B for a "better quality of life." I don't buy it. Perhaps, it is because I used to live on the East side of Transit Road but near enough to Pfohl Road and what we then refered to as good old contaminated "Lake Polio," still seen from the Williamsville exit of the Thruway. We spent many Summer nights hoping for an easterly wind so we didn't have to smell this nauseating (and health threatening) site.

Or in your mouth!

361559[/snapback]

God love ya!

As Bills fans I guess we can all laugh at our plight? Being from NJ I guess you can understand Buffalo's (the city) enviro. situation? You are not from the Newark area?

I do call it home and still love it! Nothing beats a good joke though.

:devil:

Sounds like your an environmental consultant?. I worked there for 15 years in the environmental field. I was in charge of the first round of soil sampling at Hickory Woods subdivision in Buffalo. Do you know that one!

361368[/snapback]

I do a bit pf environmental consulting nationally and internationally, though as far as local stuff I'm mostly a citizen activist and volunteer. I find that any effort to mix profit-making and activity where I live is like defacating (to use a kinder word than I use in real life) where one eats.