LT Kaydn Proctor To Re-enter Portal And Return To Alabama.......

And I'm not so sure how to feel about this.

Last season as an incoming freshman he was a 5 Star and a Top 10 overall recruit. He has unreal strength but weighed in at 360 lbs., perhaps more. He was good, but far from the best Alabama has seen in recent years (although only a freshman). Imo, he needs to lose some weight.

He transfered out when Coach Saban announced his retirement and signed with Iowa, his home state. Why he is coming back is not clear. Also, the kids in Tuscaloosa are busting their asses working out. Is he working out in Iowa? Who knows? Why should he? Can he even if he wants to?

The portal rules are now screwy. If I am correct they are allowed unlimited transfers. Also, he almost certainly got money to come to Iowa. Does he return it? How does this work? 

Yeah, I just don't know how I should feel but at this point I am somewhat skeptical.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/iowas-kadyn-proctor-expected-to-re-enter-transfer-portal-return-to-alabama-for-2024-college-football-season/

Edited by Bill from NYC

I chalk it up to the fact that he’s a big kid in a man’s body. He left Bama because he was homesick (apparently) and is returning to Bama because he went on spring break with some of his buddies (supposedly) and they talked him into it. Homesick. Peer pressure. Indecisive. I say with no malice, this is kid stuff. And the rules allow for this right now. 

7 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

I chalk it up to the fact that he’s a big kid in a man’s body. He left Bama because he was homesick (apparently) and is returning to Bama because he went on spring break with some of his buddies (supposedly) and they talked him into it. Homesick. Peer pressure. Indecisive. I say with no malice, this is kid stuff. And the rules allow for this right now. 

Yes but I heard Coach Ferentz say that he went off with the bulk of the NIL money that Iowa had. It is apparently legal but it does appear to be somewhat sinister.

Proctor has all the potential to be great. Tbh he looks more like a dominant RT to me but I could be wrong. As a Bama Fan I just hope the kid has his head on straight.

Kid should have to redshirt

This is super unethical and the reason why nil will not last that long... The open door transfer portal will also 100% be ironed out in the next few years

Schools which also commit a lot of money and resources to their student athletes will not accept no faith

You should not be able to transfer twice in a matter of months and take a school's money

This is certainly why it is going to not last long

He should be mandatory red shirted

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes but I heard Coach Ferentz say that he went off with the bulk of the NIL money that Iowa had. It is apparently legal but it does appear to be somewhat sinister.

Proctor has all the potential to be great. Tbh he looks more like a dominant RT to me but I could be wrong. As a Bama Fan I just hope the kid has his head on straight.

Wow… immature behavior taken to another level. That kind of crap doesn’t win friends and influence people. I hadn’t heard this part of the story.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

This is super unethical and the reason why nil will not last that long... The open door transfer portal will also 100% be ironed out in the next few years

Incredibly unethical but Pandora's box has been opened.  Transfer rules aren't going to roll back, for every case like this where one school gets played there are scores of situations where other schools are benefitting from the additional movement of talent.  Despite what they say out loud, schools love the new transfer rules.  The NIL thing is a little bit different and you might start seeing some parameters around NIL deals themselves with clawback clauses.  It's not officially the schools doing it, it's the outside entities.  They will start inserting language into contracts if they feel burned too many times.

10 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Incredibly unethical but Pandora's box has been opened.  Transfer rules aren't going to roll back, for every case like this where one school gets played there are scores of situations where other schools are benefitting from the additional movement of talent.  Despite what they say out loud, schools love the new transfer rules.  The NIL thing is a little bit different and you might start seeing some parameters around NIL deals themselves with clawback clauses.  It's not officially the schools doing it, it's the outside entities.  They will start inserting language into contracts if they feel burned too many times.

Well being a college scout and former booster... I have friends who are on the board of major college football programs

Their number one goal is the certainly iron this out.. nil and open transfer portal

They will not have this stand for a decade.. they would rather collapse the NCAA then keep this

These kids get recruited for years.. not weeks or months... Schools will start to recruit lower levels recruits who will be loyal for 4 years other than high-ranked mercenaries

Dual transfers within 6 months are absolutely going to be the downfall of the open transfer portal... And players transferring three times

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well being a college scout and former booster... I have friends who are on the board of major college football programs

Their number one goal is the certainly iron this out

They will not have this stand for a decade.. they would rather collapse the NCAA then keep this

The problem will be that the players have already had a taste of the freedom.  Imposing new rules restricting that at this point will come along with a raft of litigation.

Frankly, if your friends wanted to sort it out, they could stop accepting transfers.  They won't, none of them will.  They'll all whine about it, but they'll all keep poaching from each other.

Edited by That's No Moon

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

The problem will be that the players have already had a taste of the freedom.  Imposing new rules restricting that at this point will come along with a raft of litigation.

It also got rushed into existence

The rules and guidelines were a very gray area... 

I think they will get ironed out within the next 5 to 10 years with a clear concrete set of rules

AKA One open transfer per player.. anything more is an automatic red shirt... And taking nil money keeps you out of school for at least the entire athletic season

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

These kids get recruited for years.. not weeks or months... Schools will not take the lack of loyalty, when schools are loyal to the player

Except the schools aren't loyal to the players.  Coaches get fired, kids are stuck, kids lose scholarships all the time to other kids that those same schools bring in to replace them, transfers or not.

If schools want to make the loyalty argument then make scholarships guaranteed for 4 years and make them irrevocable unless the player is booted from the school for grades or discipline.  THAT is loyalty to the player.  They will never ever do that.

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Except the schools aren't loyal to the players.  Coaches get fired, kids are stuck, kids lose scholarships all the time to other kids that those same schools bring in to replace them, transfers or not.

If schools want to make the loyalty argument then make scholarships guaranteed for 4 years and make them irrevocable unless the player is booted from the school for grades or discipline.  THAT is loyalty to the player.  They will never ever do that.

A division 1 football player cannot lose his scholarship if he goes to practice everyday works hard and stays academically eligible.. I'm pretty sure that has been a rule for a few years..  I don't believe they revoke scholarships for talent anymore.. if you were given it

A coach might leave that they like but the school cannot screw them over if they are loyal work hard and academically eligible.. I believe that has been the rule for a while now

They cannot take away a scholarship just because you aren't as good as they thought coming out of high school

There are plenty of scholarship athletes that never start a game in their career..  but they stay on athletic scholarship

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

AKA One open transfer per player.. anything more is an automatic red shirt... And taking nil money keeps you out of school for at least the entire athletic season

That's a simple solution that doesn't need rules.  Write better NIL deals with clawback language.  The current lack of that language isn't on the kids, it's on the adults who are rushing to hand them money and write poor contracts.  I've seen some NIL deal language myself and it's really naive.

A division 1 football player cannot lose his scholarship if he goes to practice everyday works hard and stays academically eligible

A coach might leave that they like but the school cannot screw them over if they are loyal work hard and academically eligible

A. unless they get hurt then all bets are off.

B. head count sports aren't the only sports that this impacts.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are plenty of scholarship athletes that never start a game in their career..  but they stay on athletic scholarship

And these are a lot of the players who are helped by the open transfer rules.  They can go somewhere else where they will play and it frees up a scholarship for the team they left which helps them too.  Nobody is complaining about these people leaving their programs, but they can't write rules only for good players.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That's a simple solution that doesn't need rules.  Write better NIL deals with clawback language.  The current lack of that language isn't on the kids, it's on the adults who are rushing to hand them money and write poor contracts.  I've seen some NIL deal language myself and it's really naive.

A. unless they get hurt then all bets are off.

B. head count sports aren't the only sports that this impacts.

Injuries and academics are the only thing that could take away a football player scholarship

So when an institution gives an 18-year-old kid football scholarship they are loyal for 4 years besides catastrophic injury or not showing up to class

I would even give it to a kid with an injury but they're not cutting scholarships because they're bad

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

And these are a lot of the players who are helped by the open transfer rules.  They can go somewhere else where they will play and it frees up a scholarship for the team they left which helps them too.  Nobody is complaining about these people leaving their programs, but they can't write rules only for good players.

Absolutely it's a really tough slope

Baker Mayfield... One of the greatest college quarterbacks of all time certainly needed the transfer portal to blossom

And he had to fight the NCAA

I just think one transfer should be open... If you're leaving twice I think you should have to redshirt

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Injuries and academics are the only thing that could take away a football player scholarship.

This is the problem with the loyalty argument.  That's the situation where the player deserves the school's loyalty in return and a lot of times they don't get it.  If a kid who has been loyal goes out and suffers a debilitating injury in service of the school they deserve the ability to finish their education under the agreement they signed with the school.  That's a reasonable and humane expectation.  That is not what happens in many cases and that's wrong.

The one open transfer is fine, but I also think that any time there is a coaching change the kids deserve the right to leave without penalty just like they can rescind their NLI in certain circumstances.  If the university fires the coach that recruited them why should the kid have to stay?  There's nothing saying that the schemes will stay the same or that that kid will have a spot with the new regime.  If the coach just leaves on his own why should the kid be stuck?  None of that is in their control.

As much as I personally dislike Deion Sanders I respect the way he handled the existing players at Colorado.  He came in, did Spring Practice and told the ones he didn't want that he didn't want them and he encouraged them to transfer.  Yes that's self serving on his part to get scholarships back for his own use, but it's also being fair to the players.  Hey, you're not going to play if you stay so if you want to actually play college football use the rules, find another school where you WILL play and go play there. With the old rules all of those players would have been stuck in a crappy situation where they weren't wanted, drop a level of competition, or sit out a year because of something that wasn't their doing.  We can't go back to that.

Edited by That's No Moon

Just now, That's No Moon said:

This is the problem with the loyalty argument.  That's the situation where the player deserves the school's loyalty in return and a lot of times they don't get it.  If a kid who has been loyal goes out and suffers a debilitating injury in service of the school they deserve the ability to finish their education under the agreement they signed with the school.  That's a reasonable and humane expectation.  That is not what happens in many cases and that's wrong.

The one open transfer is fine, but I also think that any time there is a coaching change the kids deserve the right to leave without penalty just like they can rescind their NLI in certain circumstances.  If the university fires the coach that recruited them why should the kid have to stay?  There's nothing saying that the schemes will stay the same or that that kid will have a spot with the new regime.  If the coach just leaves on his own why should the kid be stuck?  None of that is in their control.

I've been around the game, in a professional setting for 30 years

I haven't seen a lot of kids lose their scholarships because of injury... Yes it's in the rules and it can happen

But I do not and have not seen a lot of kids lose their scholarship Due to injuries

That's very rare

As to the coaching changes... I understand your argument

But are you loyal to the school or the coach... My friend gives $100,000 a year to Oklahoma football so they can shower recruits so they're loyal to the school not the coach

Yes I understand system and scheme is everything... Which could also be a bylaw... A coach leaving can also Grant a one-time transfer waiver

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

But are you loyal to the school or the coach... My friend gives $100,000 a year to Oklahoma football so they can shower recruits so they're loyal to the school not the coach

Right, but if your coach isn't playing me, Georgia's money is just as green.  The coach is the person you have a connection with, the staff are the people who you interact with every day and who are invested in you as a person (if they are doing it right).  Your friend writes checks and isn't going to have that level of connection with a player.  You know how locker rooms work.  The players are battling for the other people in the room ahead of anyone else. The really successful coaches are often the guys who do the best jobs building those relationships and getting the best out of the players, not the X and O guys.  That's why the players are loyal to those sorts of coaches.  If it's a bad coach the kids won't leave when that coach leaves.  If it's a good one that they will miss?  

The example I look at a lot is the QB hoarding that top programs do.  What does it matter if the NIL consortium gave me money to sign if I'm 4th string as a freshman and the same NIL group gives another 4-5 star QB money the following year?  That NIL group doesn't have loyalty to ME as a player, they are boosting the University.  If I'm not panning out for whatever reason they are more than happy to try to buy my replacement.  Looking out for myself as a player I know I need to play. I need to play to improve and build my own career so that check I got has way less meaning and it only buys you so much loyalty.

People in my world have funneled a couple hundred grand to UGA in the last couple years.  They also signed some individual NIL deals with players, well known players that we've all heard of.  It not because of any loyalty to those people as individuals.  They couldn't have run away faster from one of their NIL players after some issues.

So many really good QBs have transferred because they would have otherwise been blocked and it probably pisses people off when they leave but that movement has been good for players and the game in general.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Teams and players were bought well before the nil and that is an absolute fact...

I don't disagree with this at all which is why I like NIL.  It forces this stuff out into the open.  I suspect that the reason why it's unpopular in some circles is BECAUSE it's forced it out into the light and people can comparison shop which has driven prices up in the marketplace and increases pressure on ADs and programs in general to aggressively, but indirectly, fundraise.  The fans can directly call out your lack of NIL pool money now when before all they could do was grumble.  It's another point of difference they have to recruit against.  It was all much easier when a booster could give a kid a car in someone else's name or drop of envelopes full of untraceable cash and the schools could pretend not to know.

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't disagree with this at all which is why I like NIL.  It forces this stuff out into the open.  I suspect that the reason why it's unpopular in some circles is BECAUSE it's forced it out into the light and people can comparison shop which has driven prices up in the marketplace and increases pressure on ADs and programs in general to aggressively, but indirectly, fundraise.  The fans can directly call out your lack of NIL pool money now when before all they could do was grumble.  It's another point of difference they have to recruit against.  It was all much easier when a booster could give a kid a car in someone else's name or drop of envelopes full of untraceable cash and the schools could pretend not to know.

You're right and that's sort of my point with the unlimited transfer portal... That's why I would make it like a one-time thing

My booster friend used to be able to give a lot of cash to a recruit for his loyalty for 3 to 5 years... It was a relationship built upon a brand, which is the program, the players potential and a lot of money

It was like an unwritten rule that it would buy your commitment for at least 3 years

Now that it is in the open... It doesn't buy anything... And boosters like my friend.. have little reason to be a college booster

When there was a significant reason 20 years ago... 

I think players should have the option of transferring without consequence but it should be a one-time deal

Edited by Buffalo716

You're right and that's sort of my point with the unlimited transfer portal... That's why I would make it like a one-time thing

My booster friend used to be able to give a lot of cash to a recruit for his loyalty for 3 to 5 years... It was a relationship built upon a brand, which is the program, the players potential and a lot of money

It was like an unwritten rule that it would buy your commitment for at least 3 years

Now that it is in the open... It doesn't buy anything... And boosters like my friend.. have little reason to be a college booster

When there was a significant reason 20 years ago... We're talking about a billion dollar business

But it's only a business because of ex-players and boosters like my friend

Yeah, but it's buying loyalty like doing business with the mob builds loyalty.  You are each loyal to each other because you have dirt on each other.  That's kind of a weird thing to want to bring back.  Form your friends perspective yeah I guess I'd be annoyed that 100k doesn't buy what it used to buy in terms of control and I appreciate why he'd want that back but I don't think giving him that back would be beneficial to the players and if the Universities want that scummy relationship back in the game then the whole sport should be stopped because it's too broken to fix.

I see it as college football going corporate.  They don't need your friend's dirty money anymore when there are businesses and individuals who are willing to pump legitimate money into the system now because now they are allowed to.  A lot of them aren't looking for loyalty to the university specifically either, they want access to the player to openly rep their business or product in ways they used to not be able to do.  They'll pick players from a certain school, but those relationships are openly transactional and temporary.  I dunno, this feels healthier though I can appreciate why it's frustrating for people who have been at it awhile.

• Like (+1) 1