Congress to apoligize for lynchings

Aren't anti-lynching laws like the modern day "hate crime" laws? It's murder. Prosecute it to the fullest extent. More laws aren't going to make any difference if its prosecuted correctly.

357075[/snapback]

Hmm you submit a post that makes way too much sense and you have a picture of Kerry as your avatar... coincidence, I think not :doh::P

Hmm you submit a post that makes way too much sense and you have a picture of Kerry as your avatar... coincidence, I think not  :doh:  :P

358100[/snapback]

I picked it because he looks like he's tryig to pinch a loaf- see the tag line under it.

Aren't anti-lynching laws like the modern day "hate crime" laws? It's murder. Prosecute it to the fullest extent. More laws aren't going to make any difference if its prosecuted correctly.

357075[/snapback]

The thing about lynching that makes it different from murder was that it was not necessarily about merely murdering someone. They were public spectacles that were attended by as many as 7000 people, and their purpose was to keep an entire class of people from getting uppitty, or exercising their constitutional rights: and sometimes it was for the grave offense of opening a store on mainstreet.

From 1880 - 1960 I believe it is estimated that upwards of 5000 people were lynched with the tacit approval of local and state governments that didn't believe that the 14th amendment applied to them. It was murder, yes, but the Congress gave no recourse to those deprived of "life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

So to say it is merely like a "hate crime" law is to ignore the systemic problem that the south dealt with for a century. NOBODY was prosecuted, because it wasn't considered murder.

The thing about lynching that makes it different from murder was that it was not necessarily about merely murdering someone. They were public spectacles that were attended by as many as 7000 people, and their purpose was to keep an entire class of people from getting uppitty, or exercising their constitutional rights: and sometimes it was for the grave offense of opening a store on mainstreet.

From 1880 - 1960 I believe it is estimated that upwards of 5000 people were lynched with the tacit approval of local and state governments that didn't believe that the 14th amendment applied to them. It was murder, yes, but the Congress gave no recourse to those deprived of "life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

So to say it is merely like a "hate crime" law is to ignore the systemic problem that the south dealt with for a century. NOBODY was prosecuted, because it wasn't considered murder.

358353[/snapback]

Passing more laws isn't going to make any difference when the current ones are ignored or the current ones are the most severe they could be.

An example is people critizing Texas for the prosecution of the guys who dragged the man to death behind the truck. Two got the death penalty and the third got life. How is a "hate crime" law going to make the punishment more severe? It didn't stop them from killing him.

All it does is make liberals fel good about themselves.

Passing more laws isn't going to make any difference when the current ones are ignored or the current ones are the most severe they could be.

An example is people critizing Texas for the prosecution of the guys who dragged the man to death behind the truck. Two got the death penalty and the third got life. How is a "hate crime" law going to make the punishment more severe? It didn't stop them from killing him.

All it does is make liberals fel good about themselves.

358473[/snapback]

:D Ask yourself this, if a District Attorney refuses to prosecute a crime, does that mean justice has been done?

If DA's on the local level refuse to prosecute crimes for whatever reason, does it not make sense to empower the US Attorney General?

Phew, I got through that without calling you any names :lol::lol:

:D  Ask yourself this, if a District Attorney refuses to prosecute a crime, does that mean justice has been done?

If DA's on the local level refuse to prosecute crimes for whatever reason, does it not make sense to empower the US Attorney General?

Phew, I got through that without calling you any names :lol:  :lol:

358504[/snapback]

Give an example. Link please.

Before there were laws about it or laws attempting to stop it, there was song... I guess that is good enough for some here?

Strange Fruit

Billie Holiday

Southern trees bear strange fruit

Blood on the leaves

Blood at the root

Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze

Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the gallant south

The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth

The scent of magnolia sweet and fresh

Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck