i know you guys like breaking news...

This is a great discussion about this band. I think the Waters vs. Gilmour debate has raged for decades, and will continue to do so.

I think Waters personal issues were undoubtedly the driving force behind so many of PF's songs, though mostly from a lyrical standpoint. Reading Nick Masons recent book, one does discover that the writing of the music was quite collaborative at times. Unfortunately, Roger was less and less willing to accept the creative input of the other band members as time wore on. This resulted in Rick Wright leaving the band immediately following the Wall tour.

What is everyone's thoughts on The Final Cut? Personally, I love this album. I think that it is vastly underrated, primarily due to the fact that 1) it is mostly Roger on his political and anti-war soap box, 2) the band was highly fractured during its creation, and 3) it's release was not followed by a tour. According to Mason, Roger did just about everything on this album. Even more interesting (and sad) is the fact that the band members actually came to the studio separately to record their parts, with the parts being mixed together later under Rogers direction.

Damn I love this band. PLEASE tour just one more time.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great discussion about this band.  I think the Waters vs. Gilmour debate has raged for decades, and will continue to do so.

I think Waters personal issues were undoubtedly the driving force behind so many of PF's songs, though mostly from a lyrical standpoint.  Reading Nick Masons recent book, one does discover that the writing of the music was quite collaborative at times.  Unfortunately, Roger was less and less willing to accept the creative input of the other band members as time wore on.  This resulted in Rick Wright leaving the band immediately following the Wall tour.

What is everyone's thoughts on The Final Cut?  Personally, I love this album.  I think that it is vastly underrated, primarily due to the fact that 1) it is mostly Roger on his political and anti-war soap box, 2) the band was highly fractured during its creation, and 3) it's release was not followed by a tour.  According to Mason, Roger did just about everything on this album.  Even more interesting (and sad) is the fact that the band members actually came to the studio separately to record their parts, with the parts being mixed together later under Rogers direction.

Damn I love this band.  PLEASE tour just one more time.

358149[/snapback]

The Final Cut is my least favorite (keep in mind that Floyd's worst is better than everyone else!). Roger just forgot the music part of it (it is brilliant lyrically). The result is that every song is very similar and simple. However, there are times that I will whip it out and listen to it for about a week.

I think the most underrated albulm (besides Piper at the Gate of Dawn) is Meddle. I also like as an underrated albulm Soundtrack from the Film More. But their best albulm, the perfect almalgamation of music and lyrics and concept, is Wish You Were Here. This is also Gilmour's favorite.

What is everyone's thoughts on The Final Cut?

I'm with you on this one, duey. It seems way too many people give that album short shrift, but I really really like it. In fact, I like it much more than I like The Wall.

Cya

I think the most underrated albulm (besides Piper at the Gate of Dawn) is Meddle.

358158[/snapback]

I like Meddle alot, but I still say "Animals" is the most underated. Meddle sounds a bit dated, but listen to "Dogs" or "Pigs" an man they still sound good.

Have any of the Floyd fans here heard of a band called "Porcupine Tree"?

Their sound has been described as a mix of Pink Floyd and SoundGarden.

Great stuff.

"Signify" is probably the most Floydish soudning of their CDs:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...8301007-4535323

I really dig their new one "Deadwing". It has a song called "arrive somewhere but not here" that is like 10 minutes long that really sounds like classic Pink Floyd:

The thing about saying a Floyd album is underrated or underappreciated is that it usually only applies to the casual listener. I think more avid Floyd fans recognize the uniqueness and musical wonder of each album. I think you can take each album and draw from it a completely different experience. That's why I'll do an album for a week, and then do another album another week. Meddle is so different from Dark Side which is very different from The Wall.

From a mainstream perspective, anything beyond Dark Side and The Wall is underappreciated. From a fans perspective, I think the older stuff (Piper, Uma) might get lost a bit. I just love rotating through all the albums though, including Final Cut and the post-Waters albums (which I thought were very good, especially because they allowed Dave to do his thing).

Great stuff.

"Signify" is probably the most Floydish soudning of their CDs:

I really dig their new one "Deadwing". It has a song called "arrive somewhere but not here" that is like 10 minutes long that really sounds like classic Pink Floyd:

358189[/snapback]

Nice tip on Porcupine Tree! I listen to a bunch of their clips, and they sound great. Will have to pick those albums up.

I am the biggest Floyd fan out there. Saw the Division Bell tour in Toronto where they played the whole Dark Side of the Moon albulm! Pink Floyd concerts are another world! Anyone go to that concert? The mirrored ball rising from the floor was incredible!

I am VERY VERY surprised by this reunion since Roger hates Dave so much. He may hate Wright even more.

356959[/snapback]

Saw the Division Bell concert in Atlanta. Not a major Floyd fan, though I like them a lot, but have never bought one of their albums. They were here for two nights. My buddy had been to the previous night's show. I declined to buy tickets months earlier. The day after the show, he told me how great a show it was. Asked him if his old lady would mind if he went to tonight's show. No problem. We decided to get tickets.

Bought same day tickets and ended up with great seats! Bobby Dodd (Ga Tech) Stadium, first row, upper deck (much like The Ralph)50 yard line. The raised stage came out to about the 25 yd line. It was a perfect view. A great summer night. And an absolutely superb concert. Who needs Roger Waters?

One day I plan to actually buy the Division Bell CD they were promoting 11 years ago.

Nice tip on Porcupine Tree!  I listen to a bunch of their clips, and they sound great.  Will have to pick those albums up.

358224[/snapback]

Cool!. The last two CDs, "Deadwing" and "In Absentia" have got to be some of the best enginered records I have ever heard. Hope you have good stereo you can crank it up on.

• 3 weeks later...
This is def happening.  24 years after they last played together, Pink Floyd shall unite again on July 2.

One can only hope that things work out well and they tour together one last time.

356604[/snapback]

Anyone know if there is video of the reunion anywhere?

Great stuff.

I bought one of their CD's recently (in abstencia). A friend asked me to desribe it and the best I could come up with was a mixture of Floyd, Kansas, and Alice in Chains.

I will buy the other CD's as well. Great tip!

Russian astrologer sues NASA because comet strike upsets the Universe's balance...

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/cgi-bin/new...2241008216&fa=1

374774[/snapback]

While I agree that Roger Water's MENTAL state really began to spiral out of control around the time of the Wall, that was in no way the beginning of any bad feelings between the band members.

Go and watch some of the studio footage from the sessions for Dark Side of the Moon and you will see they were at each other's throats even then! One lasting image in that vein was when David was trying to do the solo for Eclipse, and Roger keeps stopping the track to yell at him for allegedly missing notes. Sounded fine to me.

P.S. You can see the said footage on the Live at Pompeii video...

A few things that struck me from watching on Saturday...

1. Nice of Roger to acknowledge Syd right before "Wish You Were Here."

2. They sounded great, but it was sad to see so many "helper" musicians propping them up.

3. The MTV crew should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell for interrupting the performance to give some lame commentary and then cutting away before the end.

I think the most underrated albulm (besides Piper at the Gate of Dawn) is Meddle. I also like as an underrated albulm Soundtrack from the Film More.

358158[/snapback]

I'll take Obscured By Clouds as most underrated. Meddle was fairly well recognized. Good call on the More soundtrack though. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is not at all underrated, it is widely recognized as a seminal achievement and probably the best psychedelic album ever.

But their best albulm, the perfect almalgamation of music and lyrics and concept, is Wish You Were Here. This is also Gilmour's favorite.

358158[/snapback]

I have to go with Piper, although convincing arguments can be made for with Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall, or even Animals. Shine On You Crazy Diamond just meandered too much, and Welcome To The Machine, when it starts grating on you, it really grates on you. I hate that song. I'm sure Gilmour would disagree with me though :(

Oh, and great call on Porcupine Tree... Yes, Signify and Lightbulb Sun are a good starting point for the Floyd fan, although In Absentia has some great tracks. Haven't gotten Deadwing yet. ;)

I am the biggest Floyd fan out there. Saw the Division Bell tour in Toronto where they played the whole Dark Side of the Moon albulm! Pink Floyd concerts are another world! Anyone go to that concert? The mirrored ball rising from the floor was incredible!

I am VERY VERY surprised by this reunion since Roger hates Dave so much. He may hate Wright even more.

356959[/snapback]

I went to the Wednesday show (I think it was on a Wednesday), anyhow, it was the 2nd of the 3 shows. It didn't start until after 10:30 because the Toronto Symphony was playing a show set to fireworks at Ontario Place. It was crazy, 55,000 people all lining Lakeshow Blvd to watch the most amazing fireworks display I have ever seen, plus you could hear the symphony playing.

Following that was a fantastic Pink Floyd show. It ended around 1:30 am. Just crazy, I didn't get home until 4:00am. Words can't describe how great they are in concert. The light show was incredible. I'd love to see one more large scale PF show. I was also at the show in Toronto in 1989, Thunder tour and that was equally fanastic. The two best concerts I have ever been to and I've been to around 155 in all.