i know you guys like breaking news...

OK, I will stand up for poor Dave. I think Floyd started to go downhill with The Wall. Roger got all uppity and took the project over - even musically. Whereas before that Dave (and to some extend wright) were the musical brains. Roger was always a mediocre to poor musician. Lyrically he is in the same league as Dylan and Springsteen.

Post-Barrett Floyd was at its best in Wish You Were Here - musically and lyrically it is brilliant. The Wall is weak musically except on those peices where Roger actully allowed input by Dave (Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I will stand up for poor Dave. I think Floyd started to go downhill with The Wall. Roger got all uppity and took the project over - even musically. Whereas before that Dave (and to some extend wright) were the musical brains. Roger was always a mediocre to poor musician. Lyrically he is in the same league as Dylan and Springsteen.

Post-Barrett Floyd was at its best in Wish You Were Here - musically and lyrically it is brilliant. The Wall is weak musically except on those peices where Roger actully allowed input by Dave (Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb).

357262[/snapback]

Um you are aware that Dave had very little input into the final product of "Comfortably Numb" correct?

The Wall is FILLED with classic material. In the Flesh?, Hey You, Another Brick in the Wall I-III, Mother, I could go on and on.

Um you are aware that Dave had very little input into the final product of "Comfortably Numb" correct?

The Wall is FILLED with classic material.  In the Flesh?, Hey You, Another Brick in the Wall I-III, Mother, I could go on and on.

357267[/snapback]

David Gilmour's best moments with Floyd are on the CD "Animals"

He does a great job singing and playing on "Dogs", THE best Floyd song ever!

the musical framework for comfortablly numb was written by Dave as well as one of teh best guitar solos in the history of Rock. Dave had written the music for a solo project and brought it into the Wall as Comfortably numb. I may be wrong so correct me, but I think I am right.

Edit: for course the words were written by Roger.

the musical framework for comfortablly numb was written by Dave as well as one of teh best guitar solos in the history of Rock. Dave had written the music for a solo project and brought it into the Wall as Comfortably numb. I may be wrong so correct me, but I think I am right.

Edit: for course the words were written by Roger.

357277[/snapback]

David was asked to put together the framework for a song that Roger had written. I believe he was given the lyrics and whatever else he needed to come up with the main riff and arrangement. When he brought it back to Waters and hte producer they didn't feel it was very good and stuck with the original arrangement Waters had come up with, but included the opening from what Dave had written. I'm sure the solo was all David however.

357262[/snapback]

Dude...I agree with you 100%.

We can debate all we like but I think everyone would agree that the best Floyd is when Waters and Gilmore were both present.  ;)

357303[/snapback]

Pink Floyd is at it's best when Roger sticks to the lyrics and the rest of them stick to the music. Roger is a far superior vocalist and lyricist than Gilmour is, while the rest of the band is musically superior to Waters.

Roger Waters gets a bad rap.  To create an album like the Wall you are going to have to create friction along the way with your bandmates.  That's where things really went downhill.  Roger was the brains behind Floyd.  Gilmour, Wright, and Mason have proven that with their futile efforts to continue under the name.

357231[/snapback]

And what exactly has good ol' Rog created on his own that stands any test of time?

At the end of the day, Floyd's legacy is the music/musicianship. Drop the lyrics and you'll still have some of the best rock ever.

Count me in at $500 per seat, too.

"nd what exactly has good ol' Rog created on his own that stands any test of time? "

Actually called Radio Chaos. Excellent album and unbelievable live show.

Concert in my top 5.

Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking a good album also.

Have you listened to either one of these??

"and what exactly has good ol' Rog created on his own that stands any test of time? "

Have you listened to either one of these??

357890[/snapback]

Yep. I've never been a big fan of Waters' lyric-driven solo projects, so these albums didn't do much for me.

IMO, this blurb on Roger's post-Floyd output mirrors my own feelings:

Radio K.A.O.S.

"Things were never the same for rock auteur Roger Waters after he split from Pink Floyd in the early '80s. While Floyd has soldiered on as a dumber, but still popular version of its old self, Waters has seen his own creative vision left mostly unrealized.

Like his other solo projects, Radio K.A.O.S. too often falls flat without the hypnotic musical passages he enjoyed with Floyd. Not helping are the album's thin electronic sounds that haven't aged well since its 1987 release. Radio K.A.O.S. tells the quasi-sci-fi tale of a boy "vegetable" who can recieve radio waves in his head. Along the way, Waters attacks Reagan, Thatcher, nuclear war, commercial radio, and all the usual suspects."

The musicianship isn't there without the lyrics. Put some trite lyrics to a song like Comfotably Numb and it's trash no matter how good the playing on it is.

Roger was the brains behind Floyd. The others did their part, but without Waters they aren't sh-- either.

This is definitely cool. I was at that Toronto show for Division Bell. Unbelivable!! Would love to see them again, but from this link, that seems impossible. Perhaps a pay-per-view or DVD would be cool.

Speaking of DVD. When the HELL is FLOYD gonna put DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER and DIVISION BELL tours on freakin DVD????!!! This is WAY overdue and I'm still waiting. Its been since '87 and '94 respectively. There is another "pot of gold" ($$$$$$$$$$$) from all the fans waiting for this to happen. VHS just won't cut it man. Does anybody have any info on a DVD release. I'm getting pissed writing this. I'd pay $100 bucks for both right now!

This band is one of the best in the world and I would love to see another tour+new album, but its probably wishful thinking, huh?!

Thanks for that link!!

The musicianship isn't there without the lyrics.  Put some trite lyrics to a song like Comfotably Numb and it's trash no matter how good the playing on it is.

357972[/snapback]

Well, we're 180 degrees apart, I guess.

Dave's solo on CN is what makes it an all-time classic...RW can prattle on all he wants about the world being a giant cluster fvck, but the reason Floyd remains vital is the music they created, going all the way back to the Syd years.

If I want poetry, I'll read a book. :doh:

This is definitely cool. I was at that Toronto show for Division Bell. Unbelivable!! Would love to see them again, but from this link, that seems impossible. Perhaps a pay-per-view or DVD would be cool.

Speaking of DVD. When the HELL is FLOYD gonna put DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER and DIVISION BELL tours on freakin DVD????!!! This is WAY overdue and I'm still waiting. Its been since '87 and '94 respectively. There is another "pot of gold" ($$$$$$$$$$$) from all the fans waiting for this to happen. VHS just won't cut it man. Does anybody have any info on a DVD release. I'm getting pissed writing this. I'd pay $100 bucks for both right now!

This band is one of the best in the world and I would love to see another tour+new album, but its probably wishful thinking, huh?!

Thanks for that link!!

357985[/snapback]

I bought the DVD of a concert Gilmour did recently. IT IS INCREDIBLE! It is a concert hosted by Bob Wyatt. THe acoustic version of Shine on you Crazy Diamond was a wonderful surprise. He also does some Syd Barrett solo stuff!

Roger is a far superior vocalist and lyricist than Gilmour is, while the rest of the band is musically superior to Waters.

357343[/snapback]

Dude, Roger can't sing for sh#t. He even says he can't sing and David has a way better voice.

In ballads (wish you were here) or rocking songs (money) it's Glimour that does the best singing.

Roger did more and more singing later one, once he took over all most all of the writing duties.

Dude, Roger can't sing for sh#t. He even says he can't sing and David has a way better voice.

In ballads (wish you were here) or rocking songs (money) it's Glimour that does the best singing.

Roger did more and more singing later one, once he took over all most all of the writing duties.

358066[/snapback]

Exactly! In fact, on Wish You Were Here Roger could not handle the vocals for Have a Cigar and brought in the vocalist for one of their early rivals, the Soft Machine. Roger later said he regretted doing this and not letting Gilmour handle it.