The pass offense still doesn't look right...right?

QB Bills

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The thing that stands out to me is that our passing offense simply looks to be "behind the times".

When I look at the passing offenses of Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur, Kyle Shanahan, Mike McDaniel, Bobby Slowik -- so, basically, all of the Shanahan coaching tree guys -- I see creativity, cheat motions, orbit actions, variety, legal pick plays, and receivers who are schemed wide open.

When I look at the passing offense of Dorsey and now Brady, I see more or less static formations, less creative personnel usage and deployment, less variety, and much less of receivers being so open that you wonder "how the heck did that happen?". To be clear, it's not that there's NONE of this stuff. This offense does, at times, show some of these things. It's just that if you watch it over the totality of a whole game, and then compare it to the Texans, Rams, Packers, etc, it just doesn't seem nearly as dynamic and modern.

I don't believe this is something that can be fixed in-season. I'm hoping the Bills do a thorough offensive coordinator search in the offseason. Let Brady interview and give his vision for the offense going forward. If he wins the job, then so be it, but don't just hand it to him. I want more modernity and creativity in the Bills offense. I want to see what Josh Allen would look like in a truly forward-thinking offense that makes life easier on him.

You did see the two TE TDs in the Wild Card game didn't you? Both wide open. Knox himself said he couldn't believe he was so wide open (by play design vs. what the defense was showing), and Kincaid said they practiced his TD all week and AJ Klein told him how cool it was to see that play translate from practice to the game.

Yes, we know that the offense struggled at times this year and WR separation was a bit of an issue, but the offense seems to be hitting its stride now. In the last two games, Josh has averaged 281 yards, 2.5 passing TDs, and 75% completion percentage. That's tough to do if your receivers aren't getting any separation.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We have no #2 WR. 

You're getting 0-0 now regularly from that position. 

Past that, Harty is in for a few pays and you don't see him again, Isabella got 1 target last week. 

This is the problem. The line is there. The QB isn't changing. You have a competent OC. There are no dependable WRs past Diggs and Shakir. 

This started in 2021 when Beane signed Emmanuel Sanders. That marked the end of trying to find another top-flight WR to pair with Diggs. Three seasons later and we're still in that boat. Kincaid mitigates this some, but there is no size or speed at WR. 

AMEN - YES

You guys are way too hung up on #2 receiver. Do I expect the team to address the WR position in the off season? Yes. But you are too focused on who is catching the ball and what their supposed position is.

In Week 18, three players had more than 84 yards (Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid) and Josh connected with 8 different players.

In the Wild Card game, Josh connected with 7 different players, and 4 players had over 30 yards.

Does it really matter if, behind Stefon, it is Kincaid, Knox, Harty, Cook, Davis, or Sherfield catching the ball? It's the same number of yards whether the player is considered WR #2, WR #3, WR #4, TE #1, TE #2, etc.

No, we don't have a Chase/Higgins or Hill/Waddle duo (frankly, very few teams do), but we have plenty of skill players that can get the job done. Look at Kansas City. Is it a problem that TE Kelce has been their #1 or #2 receiving target for the last 6-7 years instead of a true #2 receiver? Over the last 3 games, Kincaid has averaged 77 yards per game, with one TD. Shakir has averaged over 58 yards/game over the last three, with one TD. And that is with our #2 receiver Gabe Davis out the last two games. I honestly don't care that much if my #2 WR on paper doesn't have a great stat line, if my next two targets are averaging 135 yards and 1 TD per game (combined). Add in Stef's yards and whatever Knox, Harty, and Cook add in and we are fine.

Again, what does it matter who is catching the ball, or what their perceived position is, if Josh is still lighting it up and we are winning?

Save worrying about the #2 WR for the offseason.

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m guessing that’s accurate but so is my statement on targets. The Bills passing offense is essentially ignoring the #2 WR. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, but it’s interesting to see how an offense can function with ten men. 

We ignore it because we don't have one. Love Shakir as a #3 slot guy and 86 is a bona-fide TE stud.  But no one can't convince me that if we had a legit #2, Stef's opportunities would open up. Teams are still bracketing him like crazy (even with the ribs). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.