Offensive line this year

Frez

Do we know our starters yet for the offensive line this year? If you ask me ,it's all about our line play this year. I hope it's better than last years. This must be an improved area for us.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still concerned about our o-line, particularly with a young qb. Who will play LT? Gandy? He could not stick with the Bears and, a year later, he is good enough to be a starting LT?. Teague? He has not played LT in years and was not especially effective with the Broncos at that position.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't think we have the answer at LT curently on the roster.

Do we know our starters yet for the offensive line this year? If you ask me ,it's all about our line play this year. I hope it's better than last years. This must be an improved area for us.

354841[/snapback]

Probably a slight step down from last year with the loss of Jennings.

Same old thing.

I'm not all that paticularly concerned about the pass blocking aspect of our oline. I believe they'll be solid in this area and with Losmans mobility I believe we'll do fine there even with the question mark at lt. What I am worried about is our run blocking. Something I haven't seen out of them is push in the run game accouting for a porous yards per carry average last season. With a young qb good run blocking becomes more essential cause we don't want to be leaving losman in 3rd and long situations, thats where it will get ugly

354841[/snapback]

Unless there is some magic powder JM can throw on these guys, I think

the O-ilne is going to be exposed, especially with a rookie QB back there

and a nobody (who knows) starting at left tackle.

Ole' Whitey is running out of smoke and mirrors and this could be a real

down year for the Bills.

I just hope JP doesn't get hurt.

:(

The line will be fine in run-blocking. Anderson will be a huge (pun intended) upgrade in that department, and Big Mike being in better shape along with him and the other 2 returning starters having a year under McNally will only help things more. I'm not even so worried about pass blocking since with JP's mobility, I think they'll use a moving pocket if LT proves to be a problem.

Folks, think back to when Flutie replaced RJ, and the offensive line went from porous to fairly good. My point is that O-line play depends in large part on the QB behind them. This line will look better, both in pass and run blocking, with a more mobile QB and a better passing game. Let us just hope that JP can provide both.

Folks, think back to when Flutie replaced RJ, and the offensive line went from porous to fairly good.  My point is that O-line play depends in large part on the QB behind them.  This line will look better, both in pass and run blocking, with a more mobile QB and a better passing game.  Let us just hope that JP can provide both.

354979[/snapback]

Yes. Good playcalling (as in not slavishly following a gameplan for the simple reason that we cooked it up so by gum we will execute it) goes a long way.

I believe military pilots call it "situation awareness".

Folks, think back to when Flutie replaced RJ, and the offensive line went from porous to fairly good.  My point is that O-line play depends in large part on the QB behind them.  This line will look better, both in pass and run blocking, with a more mobile QB and a better passing game.  Let us just hope that JP can provide both.

354979[/snapback]

Precisely.

354841[/snapback]

I see this O line achieving more than the last few years. I am not sure that talent wise there have been huge upgrades, but with 16 games of McGahee, a QB that is not Drew Bledsoe and thus can actually step up into the pocket to elude the rush, and in year 2 of Mularkey/McNally schemes it wouldn't surprise me to be talking about them as in the top 1/3 of NFL O lines.

354979[/snapback]

I absolutely agree. Our line will "appear" to be better. Especially in the pass blocking dept. JP's mobility and the play calling will give the appearance of better line play. Run blocking? Full steam ahead. WM will post 1600 yds this season. I really believe that.

I'm worried about Bennie Anderson panning out for us. Bmore Raven fans called him the "revolving door".

355001[/snapback]

Whether or not that's the case, he was not brought in to pass protect. He's a road grader by all accounts and will be used as such. The offensive scheming will work around, or try to anyway, any defficiencies the left side may have in protection. I'm fairly confident that with poised play by JP (ie...not running into trouble) this will be accomplished.

354841[/snapback]

Frez,

It is alway about the line play...A team lives and dies by the play of its OL...

It is no coincidence that the Bills fall from the top started with the demise of

the OL. Even kelly had a rough year at the end of his career with a stinking

OL.

354979[/snapback]

Yeah you're are right. Flutie looked so good that's why we are we were in the Super Bowl every year with him. And why he is going in the Hall of Fame.

And before you start remember RJ was a lanky mobile QB, aka Jp Los man. Also, JP looked a lot like RJ in the limited time he played last year. :(

Yeah you're are right. Flutie looked so good that's why we are we were in the Super Bowl every year with him.  And why he is going in the Hall of Fame.

Even though I became a Flutie critic, there was a big difference between him and RJ back there. Maybe it was more football smarts than mobility, but the mobility sure didn't hurt. He just didn't have the stamina to keep things going.

And before you start remember RJ was a lanky mobile QB, aka Jp Los man.  Also, JP looked a lot like RJ in the limited time he played last year.  :(

I also wasn't too thrilled with what I saw, but the difference is that Losman was a rookie coming off an injury, playing against the eventual world champs, and in a situation in which they could tee-off on him and for which he admitted he hadn't prepared. It was a good wakeup call and so far he's been doing everything right. Now he needs to succeed on the football field, but if he fails, it won't be for a lack of effort.

I am still concerned about our o-line, particularly with a young qb.  Who will play LT?  Gandy?  He could not stick with the Bears and, a year later, he is good enough to be a starting LT?.  Teague?  He has not played LT in years and was not especially effective with the Broncos at that position.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't think we have the answer at LT curently on the roster.

354851[/snapback]

You're not missing anything. The ones that are are Donahoe and Mularkey.