Offensive line this year

Frez

Will see bud, but I see Jamie Nails wrote all over this guy. For some reason I don't think TD knows how to build or is just to cheap to invest in a offensive line.

I addressed this in the 'Another Jamie Nails" thread, but Nails a) was a never-was as he never saw the field with the Bills and had one halfway decent season with the Dolphins before getting hurt and his career being over and b) Anderson has always been the weight he is now and was a dominating run-blocker with the Ravens, helping to open lanes for Jamal Lewis.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems odd to me that we would go into training camp and probably the season with a very unsettled situation at LT. I understand that McNally is a great coach, but our choices for LT seem to be, at best patches. Afterall, as I noted above, Gandy was injured last year and Teague has not played LT in years (and is now older). We don't even seem to have a natural LT on the roster and we did not draft one this year. I know that many hope that Peters will be the answer, but I must assume he is a project and will take more than one season to develop.

Many teams invest heavily in the LT position (i.e., Pace and Jones). I always thought Philadelphia's development as a team was keyed from the drafting of Tra Thomas and the acquistion of John Runyan.

Are there many other teams with this amount of uncertainty surrounding the LT position? I think the best we can hope for this season is adequate play at LT, which is unfortunate.

The line will probably suck. Why should this year be any different?

LT: Gandy, a castoff from a lousy team with a lousy OL.

Anderson: Probably an upgrade.

Teague: An adequate OC.

Villarial: A bright spot. This guy can play; he is a fine RG.

Williams: A 9 million dollar liability thus far. Who can predict what his yearly "issue" will be in 05. I am thinking that getting rid of Travis can only help, but Big Mike has done nothing to indicate that he is worth even half of his cap hit.

Can he step up? I suppose, but other than homerism, what would lead any sane fan to believe that he will become a great RT, which is what his salary calls for?

The Bills historically devote few resources to the OL, and when they have for the last 11 or so years, the list of mistakes is long and sad.

Corey Louchiey

Mike Williams (for 9 mil)

Kris Farris

Joe Panos

Marcus Spriggs

Jamie Nails

Hulsey (cant remember his first name)

Jerry Ostroski (a 15 million dollar scrub)

John Fina ( a sub par "franchise" player)

There are probably a lot more that I am blocking out.

In any event, the Bills are a cold weather team that generally plays with a weak offensive line. Jennings was a very good pick in round 3 and he is gone.

This season, we drafted a midget with our first pick instead of opting for OL depth, ala Pittsburgh.

Last year, we gave away much needed picks for a qb. who will start this year because our team lost the season finale against the alma mater of both our head coach and GM.

Our OL is well coached, but will be defending an untested qb. I know, he threw a good pass against Denver in a preseason game and Shannahan was impressed!

In any event, I find little reason to expect our OL to be up to the challenge.

They haven't been for many years, there is no LT and a rookie qb.

From what I know about football, this does not sound good.

I don't know. Maybe because McNally knows what he's doing and it's the first time since Jim Ringo that the Bills have had GOOD coaching AND continuity there?

LT: Gandy, a castoff from a lousy team with a lousy OL.

...with a lousy OL coach, Bob Wylie. Ever heard of him? He was the OL coach of the Cards last year and thought Kendall was expendable. Enough said.

Anderson: Probably an upgrade.

Definitely an upgrade. As I said before, he's a beast in the running game and gave up fewer sacks last year than the combo of Tucker and Smith.

Teague: An adequate OC.

He's improving annually, but admittedly I'd rather have a better player here. Here's hoping McNally gets Preston up to speed quickly.

Williams: A  9 million dollar liability thus far. Who can predict what his yearly "issue" will be in 05. I am thinking that getting rid of Travis can only help, but Big Mike has done nothing to indicate that he is worth even half of his cap hit.

Can he step up? I suppose, but other than homerism, what would lead any sane fan to believe that he will become a great RT, which is what his salary calls for?

Forget the salary cap hit. That's water under the bridge and we can't do anything about it now. Harping on how MW won't live up to his salary won't get you anywhere. Just be glad he started to dominate towards the end of last season and that he's in-shape, motivated, and is being tutored by McNally.

The Bills historically devote few resources to the OL, and when they have for the last 11 or so years, the list of mistakes is long and sad.

Corey Louchiey

Mike Williams (for 9 mil)

Kris Farris

Joe Panos

Marcus Spriggs

Jamie Nails

Hulsey (cant remember his first name)

Jerry Ostroski (a 15 million dollar scrub)

John Fina ( a sub par "franchise" player)

There are probably a lot more that I am blocking out.

Again who were they all coached by? No one of significance. Coaching plays a BIG part in things. Just look at the Pats for proof of that.

In any event, the Bills are a cold weather team that generally plays with a weak offensive line. Jennings was a very good pick in round 3 and he is gone.

This season, we drafted a midget with our first pick instead of opting for OL depth, ala Pittsburgh.

The Bills didn't draft for depth, true: they added it in FA. They added several guys with experience, and starting experience at that, not untested rookies from a weak draft.

Our OL is well coached, but will be defending an untested qb. I know, he threw a good pass against Denver in a preseason game and Shannahan was impressed!

With a perceived hole at LT, the Bills didn't go after Shelton and won't be pursuing Verba. Doesn't sound like they're all that worried about LT. I guess we'll see, but I have more optimism for the O-line than you do.

Are we satisfied with Teague still at the center position? :flirt:

355910[/snapback]

I was pleasently surprised by Teagues strong play at C last year. I think that he will be at C again this year.

I am starting to think that if either Gandy or Peters don't impress McNally at LT we may see Williams make the move to the left side and Peters or Gandy at the right.

LT: Williams

LG: Anderson

C: Teague

RG: Villiarial

RT: Peters/Gandy/?

This seems to be the strongest OL setup to me.

Do we know our starters yet for the offensive line this year? If you ask me ,it's all about our line play this year. I hope it's better than last years. This must be an improved area for us.

354841[/snapback]

Again it will cost us plenty this season as it did the first half of last year. I'm still very concerned about the O-line. Even if Mike Williams is primed for a good year I don't see how in the hell they give a 1st year QB a left tackle like Gandy or Teague for that matter.

I don't know.  Maybe because McNally knows what he's doing and it's the first time since Jim Ringo that the Bills have had GOOD coaching AND continuity there?

...with a lousy OL coach, Bob Wylie.  Ever heard of him?  He was the OL coach of the Cards last year and thought Kendall was expendable.  Enough said.

Definitely an upgrade.  As I said before, he's a beast in the running game and gave up fewer sacks last year than the combo of Tucker and Smith.

He's improving annually, but admittedly I'd rather have a better player here.  Here's hoping McNally gets Preston up to speed quickly.

Forget the salary cap hit.  That's water under the bridge and we can't do anything about it now.  Harping on how MW won't live up to his salary won't get you anywhere.  Just be glad he started to dominate towards the end of last season and that he's in-shape, motivated, and is being tutored by McNally.

Again who were they all coached by?  No one of significance.  Coaching plays a BIG part in things.  Just look at the Pats for proof of that.

The Bills didn't draft for depth, true: they added it in FA.  They added several guys with experience, and starting experience at that, not untested rookies from a weak draft.

With a perceived hole at LT, the Bills didn't go after Shelton and won't be pursuing Verba.  Doesn't sound like they're all that worried about LT.  I guess we'll see, but I have more optimism for the O-line than you do.

355924[/snapback]

Very good response. I will address it one subject at a time:

1) Coaching does mean a lot, but Gandy played at Notre Dame as I recall. He has probably been playing football since he was 10 years old. He has been coached for years by professional coaches. I find it hard to believe that coaching will bring him up another tier. Remember, this is a Left Tackle who was released outright.

When was the last time a LT who is a very good player get released. Verba you say? :doh: What was his expected cap hit? It also seems as if he had serious personality issues.

2) PLEASE, do not ask me to "forget the salary cap hit" wrt Mike Williams. Would you have liked to keep Jennings? Or PW? How about the OG from Indy? Any of these things could have happened if MW counted for as little as HALF of his cap hit!

Furthermore, that is only for THIS season. Next year will be the same dismal story. He will cost a ton of dead space to release. Bottom line wrt MW? We are stuck with him, his contract, and his fat ass for at least a year, perhaps more. If he does not produce, more than 10% of the Bills cap allotment will be flushed down the toilet. At this point, MW is an average RIGHT tackle who makes 9.17 mil. See what I mean???

In summary, the Bills need to devote some serious resources to the OL in lieu of trading away picks and drafting midgets. When they do so, they need to do better than an overweight, headcase RIGHT tackle for 9.17 mil per season.

Again, jmo.

Very good response. I will address it one subject at a time:

1) Coaching does mean a lot, but Gandy played at Notre Dame as I recall. He has probably been playing football since he was 10 years old. He has been coached for years by professional coaches. I find it hard to believe that coaching will bring him up another tier. Remember, this is a Left Tackle who was released outright.

Sure Gandy has had coaches throughout his playing time. He hasn't had a coach as good as McNally though. Remember when Bruce Smith said that no NFL coach taught him anything until John Levra came aboard (late in Bruce's career)? Gandy has had lousy coaching since he entered the NFL. They felt that they had gotten all they could out of him at LT, moved him to OG, and then he got hurt, and the team released because of that. They also drafted Marc Colombo in the 1st round to play LT, and have had to justify their selection by playing him, even though he's worse than Gandy.

2) PLEASE, do not ask me to "forget the salary cap hit" wrt Mike Williams. Would you have liked to keep Jennings? Or PW? How about the OG from Indy? Any of these things could have happened if MW counted for as little as HALF of his cap hit!

Furthermore, that is only for THIS season. Next year will be the same dismal story. He will cost a ton of dead space to release. Bottom line wrt MW? We are stuck with him, his contract, and his fat ass for at least a year, perhaps more. If he does not produce, more than 10% of the Bills cap allotment will be flushed down the toilet.  At this point, MW is an average RIGHT tackle who makes 9.17 mil. See what I mean???

What I meant is there's no point in talking about his cap hit. It is what it is. You can't change that now. Just be happy that he's already in-shape, motivated, and ready to dominate. Oh and he proved to be an above average RT by the end of last season, and I expect to see him build off of that this year. And no I wouldn't have wanted to pay Jennings or Pat what they were demanding, given injury and age concerns. Sure the money could have been better used elsewhere, but not on those players IMHO.

In summary, the Bills need to devote some serious resources to the OL in lieu of trading away picks and drafting midgets. When they do so, they need to do better than an overweight, headcase RIGHT tackle for 9.17 mil per season.

McNally has now been with the Bills for a year. He's drafted some players he's liked and is in the process of grooming them. I didn't expect him to produce any gems last year, but I think we'll start to see them soon. Drafting high round talent and paying top dollar isn't always the answer.

Guest BackInDaDay

Last year, we gave away much needed picks for a qb. who will start this year because our team lost the season finale against the alma mater of both our head coach and GM.

355899[/snapback]

I don't agree with you about about TH, but I agree with you on this.

My biggest worry is that we're putting too many eggs in McGahee's basket.

As long as he stays healthy, he'll find enough creases inside and bounce enough off-tackles outside to keep DEs and OLB honest. The kid is a big time talent, but he's one f'd up cut away from an early retirement. This leaves us with a greater dependency on an O-line that couldn't move people for Henry when it had a good LT.

Doomed? Could be. :doh:

Here's hoping that next year, at this time, we're discussing McGahee's decision to hold out after his MVP season.