Offensive line this year

Frez

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McNally's not missing anything.  He's the only one I care about.  But I guess we'll see, depending on whether they go after Verba or not.  We already know they passed on Shelton, several times.

355426[/snapback]

Once. He never came in after he was cut.

Once.  He never came in after he was cut.

Why would he need to come in a second time? The Bills saw him the first time around. It's not like much was going to change, unless he failed the physical back then (which I didn't hear that he did). If the Bills were interested, they could have easily ponied up say, $1M in base salary and a $550K signing bonus, and told him he'd be their starting LT, and would be playing for a MUCH better team than the Browns. But they didn't.

Why would he need to come in a second time?  The Bills saw him the first time around.  It's not like much was going to change, unless he failed the physical back then (which I didn't hear that he did).  If the Bills were interested, they could have easily ponied up say, $1M in base salary and a $550K signing bonus, and told him he'd be their starting LT, and would be playing for a MUCH better team than the Browns.  But they didn't.

355442[/snapback]

Or he wanted a longer term deal, or the Bills were offering only league minumum and therefore no reason to come in.

Or he was pissed because the Bills didn't trade for him. Or he failed a physical, or he pissed off a coach.

More likely scenerio is the draft next year is deep at LT and there are 6-7 projected in the first round. The Bills didn't want a long term guy as they are drafting one, and will live with what we have. Paying 1.5 million for a one year guy doesn't help and Mcnally would rather focus on the core 4 guys we have and let Gandy/Peters start for the year with the plan to be backups next year with the drafted LT starting.

Or he wanted a longer term deal, or the Bills were offering only league minumum and therefore no reason to come in.

If the Bills felt LT needed addressing (and reports that the Bills "haven't considered" bringing-in recently-released LT Ross Verba seem to indicate that they don't think it does) and Shelton only wanted a 1-year deal, why not give it to him and then look for a LT next year? And they could have offered the minimum, heard what Cleveland was offering, and upped the offer, but again this would require that they really wanted him in the first place.

Or he was pissed because the Bills didn't trade for him.  Or he failed a physical, or he pissed off a coach.

Pissed off at what? That they didn't want to trade away a player who made the Pro Bowl at his position for him and his $3M a year salary, when he was going to be released anyway? And money has a way of smoothing-over hurt feelings.

More likely scenerio is the draft next year is deep at LT and there are 6-7 projected in the first round.  The Bills didn't want a long term guy as they are drafting one, and will live with what we have.  Paying 1.5 million for a one year guy doesn't help and Mcnally would rather focus on the core 4 guys we have and let Gandy/Peters start for the year with the plan to be backups next year with the drafted LT starting.

As I mentioned above, if Shelton were better than what the Bills have, the smart thing would have been to give him the 1-year deal he was seeking, and then move-on next year with the above scenario.

Just to add a thought slightly off the original topic, but as much as i liked Drew, and still do, i think he has become one of the worst QB's in the league in terms of sensing pressure about him. I think any qb with the ability to feel pressure our O-Line would look a lot better than what we are expecting. This may be what the coaches are thinking, and i hope that if our O-line remains the same as it does today, that it is because of a calculated risk instead of TD and MM saying "Well, this is the best we can do"

Or he was pissed because the Bills didn't trade for him.  Or he failed a physical, or he pissed off a coach. 

More likely scenerio is the draft next year is deep at LT and there are 6-7 projected in the first round.  The Bills didn't want a long term guy as they are drafting one, and will live with what we have.  Paying 1.5 million for a one year guy doesn't help and Mcnally would rather focus on the core 4 guys we have and let Gandy/Peters start for the year with the plan to be backups next year with the drafted LT starting.

355452[/snapback]

I think you are dead on with TD's thought process. I think we may still pick up someone if they are not happy with what we have come July or August.

Yeah you're are right. Flutie looked so good that's why we are we were in the Super Bowl every year with him.  And why he is going in the Hall of Fame.

And before you start remember RJ was a lanky mobile QB, aka Jp Los man.  Also, JP looked a lot like RJ in the limited time he played last year.  :doh:

355053[/snapback]

The reason we did not go to the Superbowl was because Flutie was benched for the Playoff game. Even so it we were robbed by homerun throw forward. If you could not see the O line looked better with Flutie under center you are blind.

Forget trying to compair JP to RJ or Flutie. Both RJ and Flutie's mobility certainly helped mask the weakness on the line (Fina? Jerry O? :doh: ), but there is a bigger issue here.

JP is a first year starter, if he is getting hit every play, or being forced to scramble every play because the line is weak, that is bad news. Not just for this year, but for JPs future. Young, mobile QBs can get happy feet VERY easily. This affects his ability to make the proper reads and basically LEARN the game in the NFL.

That being said, a bad offensive line is disaster not just for this year, but for the future of the franchise. The long term damage on JPs development could be huge.

All that being said, it is foolish to make any predictions on the line. I agree with Kelly, they need a good month of live games before anyone will really know.

But if I am forced to make a prediction, I am not expecting this group to be an improved line (hope to God I'm wrong). If anything, I think the unit regressed. The hole at LT will be huge. And if they move Teague out to LT, then the Bills will have 2 holes, one at C and LT. The options are slim.

Bennie Anderson is going to suck and we still don't have a good LT. Shall we talk about our center? I think our line is in big trouble this year.

Who knows? :flirt:

355813[/snapback]

See, I am not worried about Wins and Loses this year. This season is bigger (if you can believe that) than that. It's about whether the Bills have their franchise QB or not.

I will be happy if the BIlls finish 6-10 but JP improved each and every week and looked like he was the real deal. But if he falters (or gets killed from the lack of an oline and stunts his growth) then there will be big trouble in B-lo.

Can Lawrence Smith play LT?

I say this because when Big Mike and JJ went down against the Phins (in Miami) Price replaced MW and Smith replaced JJ.

I watched the tape yesterday and I noticed he did well against Taylor. Taylor caught him off guard his first snap but he looked more comfortable as the game progressed.

The knock on him and the reason he was replaced by Tucker was that his run blocking skills weren't good enough. He started the season last year because he was better in pass protection and wanted to give Bledsoe the more protection they could for him to gain confidence.

He may not be a long term solution but he could man the position for a year until Peters develop or we get a LT via FA (unlikely) or draft.

As opposed to the "open doors?"  Again, Anderson yielded fewer sacks than Tucker and Smith did.  He also had fewer holding penalties (although more false starts, but if I had to take one, I'd take a false start since it's 5 yards and not 10).

355836[/snapback]

Will see bud, but I see Jamie Nails wrote all over this guy. For some reason I don't think TD knows how to build or is just to cheap to invest in a offensive line.