Allergy Sufferers

TSNBDSC

Zyrtec for me. But stop getting ripped off buying it at the pharmacy. Order the generic canadian stuff online. I get a 144 tablets for $49.99. Works exactly the same as the name brand.

355264[/snapback]

How do u go about doing this, and what is the name?

i'm dying here...seriously...my sinuses are all clogged up, my eyes hurt and my throat is getting somewhat raw from all the fluids running down from my sinuses

what's weird is, this is the first time i've had these allergy symptoms in WNY

Whatever you're allergic to is not growing in SC.

Collegeguy, I didn't get extremely allergic to ragweed until I was 19. It hit me when I was standing in line to register for fall classes at UB (back when you had to stand in line to do so).

I moved to California about 11 years ago and no problems with allergies whatsoever. They have ragweed here, but the epitope (protein fragment) on the pollen I was allergic to must be slightly different in the subspeies that grows here.

People who have allergies are not born with those allergies. They are born with a genetic predisposition to develop allergies. The actual allergy requires exposure to the potential allergian for an unspecified length of time. If you transplanted a southern allergy sufferer to Rochester, and his allergy was to something that doesn't exist in Rochester, his symptoms would disawppear the way yours did. But leave him in Rochester for a few years and his body would probably find something to be allergic to. Likewise, moving to South Carolina would likely not be a permanent escape for you. Some environments tend to have fewer common allergians, but some unfortunate sould will never completely escape. I am a 50 year allergy sufferer. My particular culprits include maple tree pollen, grass pollen, ragweed, mold spores, pet dander, duck down, and dust mites. Fortunately, my current regimen of Flonase with a single bedtime spray of oxymetazeline decongestant in each nostril and an antihistamine seems to give me pretty complete relief.

The fact that you need to use it everyday could be a sign you're "hooked"...  I would try getting off of it for a few weeks, which will suck if you are hooked i.e rebound effect.  In addition i would use 1-2 times/day a saline nasal wash Ayr.  i usually use it in the shower in the morning.

Also, one of the worst things for allergy sufferers is to sleep with the windows open at night, due to  he fact that pollution and pollen counts are at their highest overnight.

354927[/snapback]

In theory, since it is a twelve hour spray the rebound effect should take effect after about 12 hours. It doesn't. I can breathe all day long. I can breathe OK when I go to bed, but experience tells me that if I don't use all three medications in combination (I've been off the OTC nasal spray for several weeks - long enough for recovery from any rebound effect) I still wake up in the wee hours of the morning, 4-5 AM with my nose completely clogged. You're right about pollen counts being highest during those hours of 4-6 AM. We have a central air conditioner coupled with a high efficiency air filter, which helps. I will try the saline nasal wash. I will also ask my brother (a doctor) about the OTC nasal spray.

There is another option. My wife bad seasonal allergies and OTC drugs were not making it. A few years ago she did the shots 3X per week and had pretty good success.

This year she investigated a holistic approach to her allergies. This was a "yeast diet" (yeast elimination). It can be done 15 days with supplements or 30 without. Real good success. She gets a little stuffy only if the humidity is high.

Might be something to explore.

I take 12-hour Zyrtec-D at night b/c it makes me tired otherwise. It's the only stuff that works outside of the occassional steroid nasal spray. Shots have finally got it in general under control.

I should mention that Tylenol Allergy and Sinus and NightQuil sometimes work too in the OTC department.

Interestingly I never had much problem until I came back from a summer in DC...

I take Mucinex, which is not over the counter, which is a mucus thinner, morning and night.

I also take Nasonex spray morning and night, which works better than Flonase for me.

The above regimen has reduced earaches and sinus headaches practically to zero, when I'd get 4-5 per month on just Flonase.

Haven't tried Zyrtec.