Yankees acquire Juan Soto in trade with Padres

Gregg

Half the teams in the league are meeting with Yamamoto but my best guess is still a big market team.  My top guess?  Dodgers.  Toronto probably seriously in the mix too.

I’ve read a bunch about Sasaki but am less than convinced he has an out.  If he doesn’t, it’s 2026 for him.

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Half the teams in the league are meeting with Yamamoto but my best guess is still a big market team.  My top guess?  Dodgers.  Toronto probably seriously in the mix too.

I’ve read a bunch about Sasaki but am less than convinced he has an out.  If he doesn’t, it’s 2026 for him.

Sasaki might have an out but it still would be in his best interest if his team just agreed to post him instead...........then he becomes a regular unrestricted free agent instead of entering MLB needing to build up service before UFA.........and the team at least gets the posting fee instead of nothing.    I'm sure the Japanese don't want 21 year olds jumping to MLB after only 2-3 seasons of pro ball in Japan anymore than MLB would want their own young players getting free agency at that age.......so this is a conundrum for the league if he does have an out in there.  Sasaki would probably get Yamamoto money in a posting situation.     

The 2023 IFA period ended today and Roki Sasaki did not become available to MLB teams.

Rumor is Sasaki will be available in the 2024 IFA class and that he will go wherever Yamamoto goes if it's just between the Yankees and Dodgers.    Sasaki reportedly idolizes Yamamoto.   Lending credence to those rumors.......the Yankees just dropped all of their top prospects in the 2024 IFA class........purportedly to leave $3M in money for Sasaki.     The two top prospects in the Yankees class that they were going to sign in January reportedly have gone to the Orioles and Pirates.

On 12/15/2023 at 6:29 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

The 2023 IFA period ended today and Roki Sasaki did not become available to MLB teams.

Rumor is Sasaki will be available in the 2024 IFA class and that he will go wherever Yamamoto goes if it's just between the Yankees and Dodgers.    Sasaki reportedly idolizes Yamamoto.   Lending credence to those rumors.......the Yankees just dropped all of their top prospects in the 2024 IFA class........purportedly to leave $3M in money for Sasaki.     The two top prospects in the Yankees class that they were going to sign in January reportedly have gone to the Orioles and Pirates.

This explains it better:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/roki-sasakis-mlb-timeline-remains-a-mystery-with-japanese-pitching-phenom-not-posted-before-dec-15-deadline/

There is no way his Japanese team will forfeit $30+M.  It's 2026 for Sasaki unless he has some clause in his contract that frees him up next year but somehow didn't this year.  Even if he does, he'll cost himself $100M plus.  Still, he appears to want to play in the US soon or else he wouldn't have asked. 

Edited by 4merper4mer

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead? 

Soto is still a Yankee?

Perhaps you missed the thread moving to Yamamoto, Sasaki and a lack of understanding on how posting works.  The actual update is that the Yankees appear hopelessly behind the Dodgers in throwing money around, hopelessly behind 85% of the league in developing prospects and grasping at straws for how to legitimately compete.  Their closest baseball comparison is the SF Giants who are having trouble for different reasons but at least have a few players in the pipeline.  Their closest franchise comparison is Snyder era Washington throwing money at anything that is past its prime and still drawing breath in an attempt to assemble an indecipherable strategy.

The Yanks appear to be heading toward 2024 with a swing and miss lineup that added a 1 year rental great player, a few sparse young players in the midst of being ruined/wasted and few to no bargaining chips.  Their starting pitching might be good if healthy though.  Should be fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll go on record here saying I think the Stroman pickup is a solid one for the Yankees.  If I were them I’d be careful with Snell.  He’s a great pitcher but really gives me the vibe of a guy who is better off in a smaller market.  He walks a lot of guys and gets out of it in SD but with the added stress in NY?  Ed Whitson vibes.

• 3 weeks later...

Corbin Burnes to the Orioles for about their 8th and 9th best prospects.  Granted they’re good and would be the Yankees top 2 prospects, but Baltimore just got a top 10 MLB pitcher and didn’t make a dent in their system.  Brewers could have gotten more IMO.  See you in 2029 if you’re lucky Yanks.

• 1 month later...

An MRI machine will soon determine whether the Yankees 2024 season will

1. disappoint due to unrealistic expectations or 

2. comically flail about in a hysterically hopeless downward spiral all year

Personally I hope Cole checks out well.  He’s a great pitcher if a bit of a b word.  It would be a shame to see yet another top guy go down with an elbow.

Edited by 4merper4mer

my best friend has padres 41 game season tickets. I'm calling her to ask what she thinks. That is a blockbuster trade by anyone's definition.

oh and on a totally random  (and related to the Best actress winner Emma Stone.) She is originally from San Diego and a huge Padres fan.

I don't follow MLB but I'm insomniac and saw this thread.  San Diego is a Padres town. They LOVE their baseball here.  and of course Hate the Dodgers.

Peace out. m

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.