Any less than 1640 yards is regression

In 11 games last year, WM peeled off 1128 yards.

In 16 games this year, that proportion would be 1640+.

McGahee says he's playing for fun, making no predictions about the upcoming year. I'm not making predictions, just setting a benchmark.

Factors that could get in the way of that achievement would be:

(1) improved play of the TE's, as we didn't have Campbell all season, and Euhus-Neufeld-Trafford gain a year of seasoning in the passing game. Everett? Who knows.

(2) a group of WR's that, by pushing patterns deeper, may reduce yards needed to be gained on the ground.

(3) A defense that intends to improve on 3-and-outs and even more on turnovers, also reducing the yardage needed to score.

Factors that could facilitate an even higher yardage output would have to include:

(1) Losman's a rookie, and handoffs are easier than pass plays.

(2) Evans will be even better this year.

(3) An improved (my opinion) offensive line.

(4) McGahee's experience with the offensive system/playbook/options on specific plays.

Sorry to post a football topic.

I've always thought this when people post about McGahees' stats next year so I'll just point it out. If you actually want to directly correlate McGahee's yards from last year into 16 starts next year than you have to subtract the yards from the first four games that he didn't start. Why? Because those were yards he accumulated as a backup running back, which wouldn't be the case if he was the starter for 16 games. Those would be yards that a Shaud Williams, Rashard Lee, Lionel Gates type back would've accumulated.

So here are McGahee's game by game rushing yards from last season

Last year stats

So as you can see the 70 yards he accumulated in the first 4 games shouldn't be counted over a projected 16 game regular season. So just looking at the 12 games where he began to get starter like carries (beginning with the Dolphins game) he accumualted 1058 yards. Notice I'm counting the first Dolphins game as a start because he pretty much got starter like carries (26), which is what forced Mularkey to give him the "official" start the next week. If you spread that over 16 games you come up with 1410 yards (some simple algebra!)

12/16 = 1058/X

X = 1410 yards

I know it ain't that big of a difference or whether anyone cares, but just wanted to point it out!

(1)  improved play of the TE's, as we didn't have Campbell all season, and Euhus-Neufeld-Trafford gain a year of seasoning in the passing game. Everett? Who knows.

(2) a group of WR's that, by pushing patterns deeper, may reduce yards needed to be gained on the ground.

(3) A defense that intends to improve on 3-and-outs and even more on turnovers, also reducing the yardage needed to score.

354064[/snapback]

That's funny...I would think that all three of those could contribute to him getting more yards.

I have Willis pretty much a lock for 1500 yards, Thats the bar imo, but I can see him getting more.

Losmans esentially a rookie Ben Roethlisberger who everyone hailed during the course of the regular season attempted only

TOTAL | 14 | 196 295 66.4 2621 8.9 17 11

That comes out to 21 pass attempts a game. I expect Mularkey to take the same approach with losman while leaning on the stable of runningbacks Mcgahee/Lee/Gates in a similar fashion to the way pitt leaned on their stable of runningbacks throughout the season.

I'm pretty sure Mularkey and company realize the strength of this team right now is the defense and the running game. Expect a conservative game plan most of the season giving the bills the best chance to win now.

I'm in the camp that Willis has the potential to be a top 5 back in the league starting this season. 1640 yards wouldn't suprise me one bit

Unfortunately, in many way's he'd have to do better than good ole' big ben... Pittsburgh's lead runningback Duce Staley got injured when they were busy running him into the ground. Good thing for them that they had The Bus who could step up and let himself get run into the ground.

We lose McGahee, we have nobody strong enough behind him to run and run and run behind. Even if we keep Travis...

So the unfortunate part is, we'll HAVE to air it out more than big ben and co. Which will allow for more mistakes by our young QB...

(1)  improved play of the TE's, as we didn't have Campbell all season, and Euhus-Neufeld-Trafford gain a year of seasoning in the passing game. Everett? Who knows.

Factors that could facilitate an even higher yardage output would have to include:

(3) An improved  (my opinion) offensive line.

(4) McGahee's experience with the offensive system/playbook/options on specific plays.

354064[/snapback]

If the WRs have a big year, the RB will definitely have a huge year...Remeber

if our team is Up going into the 4th qtr (due to our WR play), then we will be

grinding out the clock, which means more carries for McGahee..During the

Bills successful years, both the RB and WRs had huge years.

Your point 3 could indeed reduce the total # of yards to be gained...But again

to counter that, if the Bills defense needs to be fresh to make those game

changing plays that keep the distance short, the Offense has to be on the

field for longer time....Time of Possession is crucial, which means the

Running attack will get more carries.

Lossman is not going to be able to just hand off the plays...and if he did

the WRs are not going to have a HUGE year...which is kind of contradicting

your statement 2. If the Bills don't have a balanced offense, the opposing

defenses will stack the box with 8 people and McGahee is not going to

find any place to run.

Without pinpointing any set number, WM is the key to the entire Offense, just as Thurman was during the late 80's through the mid 90's. He opened up opportunities for talented players like Kelly, Reed, Lofton etc. to make plays. Having a good backup behind him was also a big help. Rob Riddick and Kenny Davis could come in and keep the offense rolling without any dropoff.

With WM proving he was a top RB last season, we now need to find out if Losman can step forward and get the ball to Moulds, Evans etc. Plus we need to find out if Lee, Williams, Gates or anyone can provide a solid backup plan at RB.

The offense was the problem last season and the switch to Losman was seen as trying to increase it's overall production in the long run. Still, WM is a heck of a RB for a 1st year starter to work with. He is the key to our hopes.

In 11 games last year, WM peeled off 1128 yards.

In 16 games this year, that proportion would be 1640+.

McGahee says he's playing for fun, making no predictions about the upcoming year. I'm not making predictions, just setting a benchmark.

(3) An improved  (my opinion) offensive line.

354064[/snapback]

I don't see it happening. And I'm not questioning his abilities at all. It's all about the line and how it is supposed to play. I don't feel that much confident compared to last year. But we'll see.

It's funny but the last few years winning and losing was pretty much dependent on this group of guys and rarely anyone else.