Some thoughts re AFC, JA, McBeane and Injuries

jahnyc

McD isn't getting fired.  

Watch the breakdowns by Kurt Warner, JT O'Sullivan, Dan Orlovsky, Eric Turner, etc...   The problem with the offense isn't as simply solved as getting Diggs the ball more or getting a vertical threat - though I would love the latter.  Orlovsky gives a good breakdown of Dorsey's flaws in scheme and play-calling.  Warner gives a good breakdown of Josh's mistakes.  Cosell says we're not a high-talent offense yet we're trying to win matchups instead of trying to win with scheme.  And so on.  They don't all agree but they do all make good points.  There are a lot of things contributing to the drop in offensive production.  Josh's decision making, sadly, is one of them.  

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

McD isn't getting fired.  

Watch the breakdowns by Kurt Warner, JT O'Sullivan, Dan Orlovsky, Eric Turner, etc...   The problem with the offense isn't as simply solved as getting Diggs the ball more or getting a vertical threat - though I would love the latter.  Orlovsky gives a good breakdown of Dorsey's flaws in scheme and play-calling.  Warner gives a good breakdown of Josh's mistakes.  Cosell says we're not a high-talent offense yet we're trying to win matchups instead of trying to win with scheme.  And so on.  They don't all agree but they do all make good points.  There are a lot of things contributing to the drop in offensive production.  Josh's decision making, sadly, is one of them.  

Bolded is why I don't think Brady is going to change much. Also why I don't see them all of a sudden going on a run in the second half. 

On 11/17/2023 at 8:53 PM, jahnyc said:

Some thoughts below:

1.  This should have been the year for the Bills to win the AFC championship.  The AFC has been not as strong as many thought going into the season.  The Bengals are likely done because of the injury to Burrows, the Chiefs are weaker offensively and better on defense, the Dolphins have not beat any good teams, and the Browns lost Watson.  I think the Ravens and Jags are good but not great, and the Steelers have been lucky.  Chargers have a lot talent but can't get it together.  Seems relatively wide open this year, but the Bills may not make the playoffs.

2.  I have no idea what is going on with JA, if anything.  Weird that there seems to be a narrative developing that he does not prepare enough or that he is emotionally checked out.  Never would have expected this stuff from him, and I hope that it is not true.  His demeanor has seemed off, at least with his interviews (post-game and Dorsey).

3.  If McD gets fired, does Beane depart as well even if Pegula wants him to stay?  My sense is that McD and Beane are a package deal (they both go if one goes), but I would hope that Beane will stay if McD is let go.  Wonder what the contracts provide?

4.  Injuries have had a significant impact on the Bills this season, but I hope that Joseph and Douglas will be at least adequate replacements for the remainder of the season (and I think they will be).  The loss of Milano has hurt, and it will continue to for the rest of the season.

5.  With all the negative stuff that has happened so far this season, Bernard's play has been a bright spot.  Many seemed to think he was a draft bust, but he has played exceptionally well and I am looking forward to the combination of a healthy Milano and Bernard next season.  He seems to have all of the things that were missing with the play of Edmunds.  Another surprise this season has been the play of Dawkins.  He has played much better than last season and much better than I expected.

6.  Weird that there is so much drama associated with the Bills.  The Bengals were 5-4 before their loss last night to the Ravens, and I don't think I have heard any soap opera kind of stuff out of Cincinnati.

7.  I think we need a lot more than Diggs at WR.  A vertical threat and a WR that gets YAC would make a big difference for the offense and JA.

1. While I agree that the AFC is ripe for the taking this season, virtually every AFC team is saying either “This could be our year!” or “This could have been our year!”

2. I got blasted for saying that Allen hasn’t prepared in the offseasons since he got paid like he did prior. I do not believe that he is preparing like someone who is making $43M a year should be. 

3. I always thought that McDermott and Beane were a package deal too, but now I think that there is a chance that Beane would survive a McD firing. 

4. Douglas and Joseph will be adequate starters, but not Tre White or Daquon Jones. 

5. Agree on Bernard. Dawkins is playing like his normal self. 

6. I think the drama is due to the record and current state of the team. 

7.  A speedy, quality WR is needed. We could have a 50 page thread on the YAC issue. 

On 11/18/2023 at 12:36 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Even if this team battles a little to make a playoff run, I still feel McD is gone. I think Pegula keeps Beane to start a offensive HC search.  Diggs will most definitely have a 1st round wr lined up on the other side.

As far as what could've been, we experienced as many injuries as these other teams. But at least Josh hasn't gone down. Speaking of Josh, he must work harder. Maybe a little less golf and more Palmer.  Just about every big name qb has said he must work more on the mental side of being an NFL QB.  And finally it doesn't surprise me that the media continues the Josh/ Diggs drama narrative to keep views. At this rate the way qbs are dropping,  Josh might be last man standing regardless of his shoulder.

You seriously think if the Bills make the playoffs that Pegs will fire McD?? That sounds more like what you want to happen (which is perfectly fine) than reality. 

I’m off the McD train but I don’t expect him to be gone unless we lose out. Even then it wouldn’t really surprise me if he gets another year

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

McD isn't getting fired.  

The bolded is the best summation of why this offense started misfiring after the Green Bay game last year

Dorsey did not adjust his scheme adequately after teams adjusted to his initial offense and he was lost since then. I’m glad he’s gone because that problem doesn’t fix itself. IDK if Brady has any answers considering it’s the same scheme but maybe his play calling can make up for the lack of scheming guys open and we can squeak a few games out while he tinkers.

That’s a long shot but best we’ve got.

On 11/17/2023 at 5:53 PM, jahnyc said:

Some thoughts below:

1.  This should have been the year for the Bills to win the AFC championship.  The AFC has been not as strong as many thought going into the season.  The Bengals are likely done because of the injury to Burrows, the Chiefs are weaker offensively and better on defense, the Dolphins have not beat any good teams, and the Browns lost Watson.  I think the Ravens and Jags are good but not great, and the Steelers have been lucky.  Chargers have a lot talent but can't get it together.  Seems relatively wide open this year, but the Bills may not make the playoffs.

2.  I have no idea what is going on with JA, if anything.  Weird that there seems to be a narrative developing that he does not prepare enough or that he is emotionally checked out.  Never would have expected this stuff from him, and I hope that it is not true.  His demeanor has seemed off, at least with his interviews (post-game and Dorsey).

3.  If McD gets fired, does Beane depart as well even if Pegula wants him to stay?  My sense is that McD and Beane are a package deal (they both go if one goes), but I would hope that Beane will stay if McD is let go.  Wonder what the contracts provide?

4.  Injuries have had a significant impact on the Bills this season, but I hope that Joseph and Douglas will be at least adequate replacements for the remainder of the season (and I think they will be).  The loss of Milano has hurt, and it will continue to for the rest of the season.

5.  With all the negative stuff that has happened so far this season, Bernard's play has been a bright spot.  Many seemed to think he was a draft bust, but he has played exceptionally well and I am looking forward to the combination of a healthy Milano and Bernard next season.  He seems to have all of the things that were missing with the play of Edmunds.  Another surprise this season has been the play of Dawkins.  He has played much better than last season and much better than I expected.

6.  Weird that there is so much drama associated with the Bills.  The Bengals were 5-4 before their loss last night to the Ravens, and I don't think I have heard any soap opera kind of stuff out of Cincinnati.

7.  I think we need a lot more than Diggs at WR.  A vertical threat and a WR that gets YAC would make a big difference for the offense and JA.

I can’t imagine mcbeane and McD as a package deal as there is too much money on tables especially with the extensions. I can’t see BBB quitting and losing guarantees on contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.