NFL Trade Deadline Primer

MAJBobby

Ok so the deadline is about 15 days away.  31 October is that deadline.  So now how I feel about the Bills going into this.

1.  I am using Beane history that he will not give up premium assets for a rental player, so guys on their final year likely will not be in the Mix (unless a new contract is part of that).

2.  Bills only have roughly 1.8M in space this year so most likely money in has to mean money out.  

3.  Still have some cap tickets in Dawkins and Morse if you are willing to kick their hits down the road a bit.  Not big cap tickets but enough to make room for an added top end player as need be.  

Needs the way I see it for the Bills in Priority.

1.  CB (need a legit starting Boundary CB)

2.  WR2 (can be a slot as well instead of the boundary WR2)

3. 1T DT

4. WLB (this could be depth only if need be).

So teams that seems to be confirmed to be Sellers:

Denver Broncos

Teams that SHOULD be selling

NY Giants

AZ Cardinals

CHI Bears

Min Vikings

Car Panthers

NE Patriots

Denver Broncos 

Yes I read the reports that their entire roster is for sale with the what looks like Exception of Surtain II (which I absolutely would love to get) so that leaves the rest against the needs I see

CB - None

WR - Jeudy and Sutton:  Juedy fits in the current cap likely with the prorated salary and has his 5th year option picked up.  So not a rental.  Trading for Jeudy means Gabe Davis is walking.  So think of a 3rd round pick coming back as well for that.  Sutton has this year and two more at cap hits of 18M (this year) 17M and 17M.  I dont think this is an option for them.  So for me it is Jeudy

Two other Names to watch here are Josey Jewell (LBer) and Justin Simmons (expensive) I think both are nos from Bills.

NE Patriots (I get it the division, but Bills and Pats have made deals in the past).

I think the only realistic Option here and it might be cheaper is Kendrick Bourne. Tight money wise and a rental so I am not sure if that is an option.  

Others I have read rumors about

Hunter Henry

Trent Brown

Josh Uche

Kyle Dugger (will probably take a big offer here)

Myles Bryant

New Addition I was reading is Rhamondre Stevenson (cost controlled next year as well.)

Vikings

Harrison Smith - Lot of talk about doing the right thing and dealing him to a contender

KJ Osborn is a Bourne level WR.  I think the talent is there with him wont be expensive also doesnt solve the No 2 issue either, just shuffles the lower WRs on this team

Some LBers in Hicks and Wonnum

Ezra Cleveland (unhappy at OG wants a shot for OT)

Danielle Hunter

Harrison Phillips 

Panthers

Shenault

Hayden Hurst

Brian Burns 

Jeremy Chinn - I like this option not a CB but will be safety.  Bills liked him in his draft process. Would need a new deal post trade, but in theory could wait until the offseason.  At 25 would give that option for life after Hyde or Poyer.  This is a build now and in future type trade. 

CJ Henderson could be that CB option though is a rental and Car declined his option so would need a new deal. 

Giants

Xavier McKinney - similar to Chinn in a build now and future.  Would need that new deal 

Adoree Jackson - Probably not an option without a reduced deal meaning extension cannot fit his contract as is. 

Leonard Williams

Sterling Shepard - has been rumored to be moved to a contender to do right by him for a couple weeks now. 

So with all those names that I am tracking on the block from these various teams. some that can slide right into the space we currently have are 

Jerry Jeudy

Kendrick Bourne (tight) 

Myles Bryant

Rhamondre Stevenson

KJ Osborn

Ezra Cleveland

Jeremey Chinn

Laviska Shenault

Xavier McKinney

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok so the deadline is about 15 days away.  31 October is that deadline.  So now how I feel about the Bills going into this.

1.  I am using Beane history that he will not give up premium assets for a rental player, so guys on their final year likely will not be in the Mix (unless a new contract is part of that).

2.  Bills only have roughly 1.8M in space this year so most likely money in has to mean money out.  

3.  Still have some cap tickets in Dawkins and Morse if you are willing to kick their hits down the road a bit.  Not big cap tickets but enough to make room for an added top end player as need be.  

Needs the way I see it for the Bills in Priority.

1.  CB (need a legit starting Boundary CB)

2.  WR2 (can be a slot as well instead of the boundary WR2)

3. 1T DT

4. WLB (this could be depth only if need be).

So teams that seems to be confirmed to be Sellers:

Denver Broncos

Teams that SHOULD be selling

NY Giants

AZ Cardinals

CHI Bears

Min Vikings

Car Panthers

NE Patriots

Denver Broncos 

Yes I read the reports that their entire roster is for sale with the what looks like Exception of Surtain II (which I absolutely would love to get) so that leaves the rest against the needs I see

CB - None

WR - Jeudy and Sutton:  Juedy fits in the current cap likely with the prorated salary and has his 5th year option picked up.  So not a rental.  Trading for Jeudy means Gabe Davis is walking.  So think of a 3rd round pick coming back as well for that.  Sutton has this year and two more at cap hits of 18M (this year) 17M and 17M.  I dont think this is an option for them.  So for me it is Jeudy

Two other Names to watch here are Josey Jewell (LBer) and Justin Simmons (expensive) I think both are nos from Bills.

NE Patriots (I get it the division, but Bills and Pats have made deals in the past).

I think the only realistic Option here and it might be cheaper is Kendrick Bourne. Tight money wise and a rental so I am not sure if that is an option.  

Others I have read rumors about

Hunter Henry

Trent Brown

Josh Uche

Kyle Dugger (will probably take a big offer here)

Myles Bryant

New Addition I was reading is Rhamondre Stevenson (cost controlled next year as well.)

Vikings

Harrison Smith - Lot of talk about doing the right thing and dealing him to a contender

KJ Osborn is a Bourne level WR.  I think the talent is there with him wont be expensive also doesnt solve the No 2 issue either, just shuffles the lower WRs on this team

Some LBers in Hicks and Wonnum

Ezra Cleveland (unhappy at OG wants a shot for OT)

Danielle Hunter

Harrison Phillips 

Panthers

Shenault

Hayden Hurst

Brian Burns 

Jeremy Chinn - I like this option not a CB but will be safety.  Bills liked him in his draft process. Would need a new deal post trade, but in theory could wait until the offseason.  At 25 would give that option for life after Hyde or Poyer.  This is a build now and in future type trade. 

CJ Henderson could be that CB option though is a rental and Car declined his option so would need a new deal. 

Giants

Xavier McKinney - similar to Chinn in a build now and future.  Would need that new deal 

Adoree Jackson - Probably not an option without a reduced deal meaning extension cannot fit his contract as is. 

Leonard Williams

Sterling Shepard - has been rumored to be moved to a contender to do right by him for a couple weeks now. 

So with all those names that I am tracking on the block from these various teams. some that can slide right into the space we currently have are 

Jerry Jeudy

Kendrick Bourne (tight) 

Myles Bryant

Rhamondre Stevenson

KJ Osborn

Ezra Cleveland

Jeremey Chinn

Laviska Shenault

Xavier McKinney

1T you could maybe look at Mike Purcell in denver as a possible upgrade over Ford.  He's not splashy but if we're just looking for someone to eat up some double teams and provide some improved depth i could see him as an option.  

I'm not trading for an off ball linebacker.  Dorian Williams has shown enough that we can hope he isn't a liability out there in the short term and potentially becomes an above average player later into the season.  We also have Milano coming back late in the season or next year, so we'd be solely looking for a rental.. and with Dorian Williams, depth rental.

CB.. I have no idea how the staff feels about Elam's eventual fit/potential.  If we trade for a CB, I think moving Elam is a player for player and/or corresponding move.  

Chain moving WR (Slot or WR2 potential) and 1T DT are where I'd be looking.  Not just to make sure our DL stays at an elite level inside and outside, but to also make sure our undersized speed linebackers stay clean and able to shoot gaps / make plays behind them. 

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.