Howard Dean - Fundraising Genius

...well, maybe not.

Dean wowed the faithful in '04 with his Web-based fund-raising magic. But major business donors still count, and in his new role as party honcho, the feisty doctor seems to be struggling to connect. After achieving money parity with the GOP in 2004, Democrats have fallen far behind. According to the Federal Election Commission, the DNC raised $14.1 million in the first quarter of 2005, vs. the Republican National Committee's $32.3 million. Dean drew about 20,000 new donors, while his rivals picked up 68,200. The bottom line: Republicans have $26.2 million in the bank vs. $7.2 million for the Dems... Personality factors aside, Dean's business-bashing '04 campaign makes him a hard sell in corporate circles. "There's a wait-and-see attitude from business and major contributors," says Nathan Landow, a Maryland developer and big-time donor. "This guy has some work to do to get the comfort level up." William W. Batoff, a Philadelphia real estate developer and longtime Democratic fund-raiser who backed President Bush in 2000 and 2004, is less diplomatic. "Howard Dean is the wrong person to be chair," says Batoff, who claims he will help fund the Dems' congressional efforts but will boycott the national committee while Dean reigns.

Business Week Article

BugMeNot Login:

jessac718

cosmos

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His maddness works in small bands of nutjobs. These folks will not decide any election. They are small in number but load in voice. It seems like there are more of them because they scretch so load, but actually they are insignificant.

Dean is doing exactly what I had hoped he would. Move the party even FURTHER out of the main stream.

Thanks doc. :D

sorry howie, i'd donate but i just spent all my cash at the grocery store.  they just ran a special on 12 packs of HotPockets ®

DING Ham and Cheese

DING Pepperoni Pizza

350876[/snapback]

Hey man, don't forget the Beef Taco Hot...DING gotta go.

In the democratic party, there are currently two camps with two ideas to get the majority back. The two major theories are relatively simple:

1.) The democratic party needs to focus on mobilizing its base, and match every republican with a democrat.

2.) The democratic party isn't strong enough to just mobilize, and needs ot expand.

Its obvious that idea #1 has won out with Dean. The reason why some Democrats are holding back money, is because they don't like that Dean is doing this.

If you watch Dean's speech, his tactics make it clear that he is doing this. There is a decent amount of evidence to support his attempts as well.

Huntington's theory on US policy cycles is one as follows:

(1) Increased political participation leads to increased policy polarization within society;

(2) Increased policy polarization leads to increasing distrust and a sense of decreasing political efficacy among individuals;

(3) A sense of decreasing political efficacy lead to decreased political participation.”

The interesting thing here though is that we more or less saw this cycle over the course of the past 10 years, not a long period of time (it was accelerated due to terrorism, 9/11, and the ultimate war on terror). Political polarization was extremely high back in 1994 when the Democrats lost control of congress after 4 decades.

If you look at the 2000 elections, Gore was having trouble even distinguishing himself from Bush. The elections resulted in 101,464,036 votes between Gore and Bush. Fast forward to 2004, after the Iraq war, terrorism, 9/11, etc caused a huge rise in political interest and participation in the United States, the total vote between Bush and Kerry is 121,068,721 which is an increase of 19,604,685.

This is quite a big jump in American presidential election politics: 19.32% increase. Given that our total voter turnout for the 2004 election was only 64% of people ages 18 and older.

There also was an increased polarization to go along with this increase in political participation, just as Huntington predicted. A study in 2003 by the Pew Research Center found that people were the most polarized since 1994 due to the war on terror, 9/11, and the war on Iraq. (interesting that way back in 2003, Bush was leading Kerry in an election 50%-42%)

The candidates also were equally polarized: Kerry had the most liberal voting record in the senate, and Bush needs no conservative introduction. :lol:

There is a trend toward partanism still in the US. Another Pew Research Center Report, from January, shows this to be the case. In fact, its America and the war on terror that is so causing this divide.

By far, the biggest issue that is causing polarization is military mobilization in the war on terror and use. Dean is betting that this is going to stay a key issue, increasing the divide between Republicans and Dems.

Interestingly enough, the morality issue seems to not be a dividing factor anymore as it used to be.

Americans overwhelmingly agree on the importance of religion, on the power of personal initiative, and on the need to protect the environment. They are likewise bound by skepticism toward big business and they generally agree that there has been movement toward racial progress.

All of these things seem to be favoring trends for the Democrats in the 2006 elections. However, because its nowhere near as polarizing as national security, its going to be very, very hard for them to take advantage of these gains.

Basically, in summary, Dean's betting that these trends are going to continue to grow, and there is no signs that they are going to stop anytime soon. As long as terrorism and the war in Iraq remains the top issue - and theres no reason why it shouldn't be with the Bush administration, the polarity will continue to grow with increased political participation.

There's evidence that this is true, and theres evidence that the Democrats can get enough support if they moblize their people better, that they can effectively gather enough votes to overtake the Republican party in the next election cycle.

Hey man, don't forget the Beef Taco Hot...DING gotta go.

350879[/snapback]

my grocery store only had Ham N Cheese, Peperoni Pizza, and those nasty Cheeseburger HotPockets ®

but Beef Taco??? damn that sounds good! I wish my grocery store carried those. I blame the Republicans. its obvious they kept it out of my grocers freezer because they want to take away my right to choose

DING! :lol: choice. oh yeah, so who do you think is hotter, the American Idol chick or the Apprentice chick?

my grocery store only had Ham N Cheese, Peperoni Pizza, and those nasty Cheeseburger HotPockets ®

but Beef Taco??? damn that sounds good!  I wish my grocery store carried those.  I blame the Republicans.  its obvious they kept it out of my grocers freezer because they want to take away my right to choose

DING!  :lol: choice. oh yeah, so who do you think is hotter, the American Idol chick or the Apprentice chick?

350959[/snapback]

Tried the new Hot Pocket Subs this week. Those boys is tasty!

350973[/snapback]

those bastard republicans!!!

its my body!!!!

i wan to be able to choose whether to eat the new Hotpockets ®

but they're not in my grocers' freezer!! It has to be the Republicans!!!! only they restrict my right to choose! And they....

oh wait, Dan Rather is going to commercial

oh wait, Dan Rather is going to commercial

350977[/snapback]

okay, commercial is over

but Rather says he has signed documents that the republicans signed tom donahoe

and offered a 1st round pick to jacksonville for rob johnson

oh, and jimbo was out partying with GWB before each of the 4 super bowls

In the democratic party, there are currently two camps with two ideas to get the majority back.  The two major theories are relatively simple:

1.) The democratic party needs to focus on mobilizing its base, and match every republican with a democrat.

2.) The democratic party isn't strong enough to just mobilize, and needs ot expand.

Its obvious that idea #1 has won out with Dean.  The reason why some Democrats are holding back money, is because they don't like that Dean is doing this.

If you watch Dean's speech, his tactics make it clear that he is doing this.  There is a decent amount of evidence to support his attempts as well.

Huntington's theory on US policy cycles is one as follows:

(1) Increased political participation leads to increased policy polarization within society;

(2) Increased policy polarization leads to increasing distrust and a sense of decreasing political efficacy among individuals;

(3) A sense of decreasing political efficacy lead to decreased political participation.”

The interesting thing here though is that we more or less saw this cycle over the course of the past 10 years, not a long period of time (it was accelerated due to terrorism, 9/11, and the ultimate war on terror).  Political polarization was extremely high back in 1994 when the Democrats lost control of congress after 4 decades.

If you look at the 2000 elections, Gore was having trouble even distinguishing himself from Bush.  The elections resulted in 101,464,036 votes between Gore and Bush.  Fast forward to 2004, after the Iraq war, terrorism, 9/11, etc caused a huge rise in political interest and participation in the United States, the total vote between Bush and Kerry is 121,068,721 which is an increase of 19,604,685.

This is quite a big jump in American presidential election politics:  19.32% increase.  Given that our total voter turnout for the 2004 election was only 64% of people ages 18 and older.

There also was an increased polarization to go along with this increase in political participation, just as Huntington predicted.  A study in 2003 by the Pew Research Center found that people were the most polarized since 1994 due to the war on terror, 9/11, and the war on Iraq. (interesting that way back in 2003, Bush was leading Kerry in an election 50%-42%)

The candidates also were equally polarized:  Kerry had the most liberal voting record in the senate, and Bush needs no conservative introduction.  :lol:

There is a trend toward partanism still in the US.  Another Pew Research Center Report, from January, shows this to be the case.  In fact, its America and the war on terror that is so causing this divide. 

By far, the biggest issue that is causing polarization is military mobilization in the war on terror and use.  Dean is betting that this is going to stay a key issue, increasing the divide between Republicans and Dems.

Interestingly enough, the morality issue seems to not be a dividing factor anymore as it used to be. 

All of these things seem to be favoring trends for the Democrats in the 2006 elections.  However, because its nowhere near as polarizing as national security, its going to be very, very hard for them to take advantage of these gains.

Basically, in summary, Dean's betting that these trends are going to continue to grow, and there is no signs that they are going to stop anytime soon.  As long as terrorism and the war in Iraq remains the top issue - and theres no reason why it shouldn't be with the Bush administration, the polarity will continue to grow with increased political participation. 

There's evidence that this is true, and theres evidence that the Democrats can get enough support if they moblize their people better, that they can effectively gather enough votes to overtake the Republican party in the next election cycle.

350942[/snapback]

Thanks for the serious post, but I am not buying that Dean is banking on these trends. Just listening to his speeches is evidence of that. After the 2004 election, the Democrats thought that that reason why they lost is because they were not bitter and hateful enough. They also felt that the public was too stupid (their words). Quotes from Democrats after the election support this. Dean is working on the first part, with increasing the bitter, hateful rhetoric in an attempt to "energize his base."

The problem is that it is not working. The base has lost momentum and Dean is incapable of raising the money that his predecessor has been able to raise. Some of this is the result of the Democratic Party being split. Currently, there are different factions within the party and some of them are working to marginalize Dean (Pelosi and Reid come to mind).

It all comes back to the real reason why the Democrats have been losing, IMO. That is the fact that they really stand for nothing but "Bush Bad" and "Bush stole the 2000 election." This will not get seats in Congress. This makes you lose seats in Congress and that has been proven at the polls. Until the Democratic Party learns this valuable lesson, they will continue to lose seats in Congress in 2006. Honestly, the Democrats have shown me nothing to prove that they are going to pick up seats in Congress in 2006. As I said, they need to stand for something and right now, they do not stand for anything. The extremists are running the Party and all they are trying to do is take the opposite opinion from whatever the Republicans propose. The public may not like what the Republicans propose, but they are still getting more out of them than they are the Democrats. The Democrats need to propose solutions, not just "the Republicans proposed this, so therefore it is bad" stuff.

They need to get their azzes in gear before it is too late for 2006. Right now, they are spiraling out of control and show no signs of trying to fix the problem.

On CNN this morning, they were asking him about his blunt statements, which seem to be hurting the party. He starts whipping out these Harry Truman quotes, explaining how Truman talked direct and the people responded.

"Plain Speaking" Howard Dean. That's a recipe for...... :lol:

but Beef Taco??? damn that sounds good!  I wish my grocery store carried those.  I blame the Republicans.  its obvious they kept it out of my grocers freezer because they want to take away my right to choose

DING!  :lol: choice. oh yeah, so who do you think is hotter, the American Idol chick or the Apprentice chick?

350959[/snapback]

Gotta admit... I like the "®", registered trademark thingy!

It shows good attention to detail...

:lol:

350959[/snapback]

BT's are very good. Rank right up there with Peperoni. Also have more options like Chicken and Cheese Quesadelia(or however you spell it) too. Why do I have so many choices?!? I live in a Blue state where my right to choose has been protected!

I think I'll take the AI chick over the Apprentice chick.

350973[/snapback]

Damn, I don't even have those here in the midwest. Figures. Everything "cool" always starts out in California and makes its way east...