Josh Allen's Top 10 Performances

MJS

37 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

It's concerning that only 2 of those were from last year and both early in the year. I hope Allen hasn't peaked.  Last year was not up to his standards.

As others have noted the game against the Dolphins that won the division could have been added to the list - particularly Allen's otherworldly 4th quarter performance.

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Did something maybe happen halfway through the season?

I also think that in 2022 the Bills had the weakest O line and least effective set of skill players since the 2018/2019 seasons.  In some ways this may have been Allen's best performance yet when you factor in the other issues.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

It's concerning that only 2 of those were from last year and both early in the year. I hope Allen hasn't peaked.  Last year was not up to his standards.

There are only 10 games to put on the list. Can't fit all of his good games.

2022 Week 15 against Miami was a really good performance. 304 passing yards, 77 rushing yards, 4 passing TD's, no picks, 119.2 passer rating.

Nothing concerning at all.

Edited by MJS

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I think this has to be in there.  This was just as big as the playoff game

https://www.nfl.com/games/bills-at-patriots-2021-reg-16

Excellent game. For Allen specifically, it is not quite top 10 material when considering his stats, in my opinion.

But, I would include it as a top 10 Buffalo Bills game of this current era, for sure.

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

There are only 10 games to put on the list. Can't fit all of his good games.

2022 Week 15 against Miami was a really good performance. 304 passing yards, 77 rushing yards, 4 passing TD's, no picks, 119.2 passer rating.

Nothing concerning at all.

That game was a definite outlier for Allen post-injury. It's the only Josh Allen archetype game after @KC (which I would define loosely as 300+ passing yards and significant run plays, 3+ TDs, one turnover or less) 

It would be fun to make this a rigorous stat and track it for him and other dual threat QBs 

I also think Allen played well against Miami in the playoffs outside of the bonehead pick on the deep throw to Brown. Miami's run-cover-zero-every-play contributed as much to the big plays against us as it did to the big plays in our favor. 

I think that will change with a healthy elbow, a better O-line, a more balanced offense, and new weapons over the middle. Like I said elsewhere I'm pretty confident that Zen Josh is back in spades this year, and we will need him

1 hour ago, arcane said:

That game was a definite outlier for Allen post-injury. It's the only Josh Allen archetype game after @KC (which I would define loosely as 300+ passing yards and significant run plays, 3+ TDs, one turnover or less) 

It would be fun to make this a rigorous stat and track it for him and other dual threat QBs 

I also think Allen played well against Miami in the playoffs outside of the bonehead pick on the deep throw to Brown. Miami's run-cover-zero-every-play contributed as much to the big plays against us as it did to the big plays in our favor. 

I think that will change with a healthy elbow, a better O-line, a more balanced offense, and new weapons over the middle. Like I said elsewhere I'm pretty confident that Zen Josh is back in spades this year, and we will need him

Maybe. I think fans are getting a little spoiled, though. Josh isn't going to put up superhuman numbers every single week.

His style of play comes with a bit of variance, in my opinion. High risk, high reward.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The 1st Dolphins game of 2018 is when I knew they had something with Allen… he was the best player on the field by far on both teams. 

That's true. What he accomplished his rookie year is often overlooked. He had a trash oline and trash receivers. He was basically the only weapon on offense.

On 5/21/2023 at 6:53 PM, MJS said:

I can't wait for the season to begin, even though I know it is a long way away still. Josh Allen is the man and he will have another great year, perhaps his best yet. Let's take a look at his top 10 performances so far in his career. When looking at these, I considered a few things: 1) what games would I show someone who had never heard of Josh Allen, 2) overall stats, and 3) the significance of the game at the time.

1) 2021 - Wild Card Round vs New England (Result: Win 47 - 17)

Stats: 308 Passing Yards, 66 Rushing Yards, 5 TD's Passing, 84% Completion Percentage, 157.6 Rating

Josh Allen saved the best game of his career for the frigid 2021 wild card game against the hated New England Patriots. Josh Allen set a franchise playoff record with five touchdown passes. The margin of defeat was the largest in the playoffs for Bill Belichick in New England. Buffalo became the NFL's first team in the Super Bowl era to score on each of its seven possessions that didn’t end with a kneel-down. The Allen-led offense was so efficient it gained 480 yards offense on just 51 snaps before backup Mitchell Trubisky finished the game with three kneel-downs. It was the 4th coldest game in Bills history.

2) 2020 - Week 2 @ Miami (Result: Win 44 - 34)

Stats: 415 Passing Yards, 19 Rushing Yards, 4 TD's Passing, 69% Completion Percentage, 146.7 Rating

Following his first career 300-passing-yard game in week 1 against the Jets, Allen had his first career 400-yard game in week 2, defeating the Miami Dolphins for the fourth consecutive time. Dueling former Buffalo Bill Ryan Fitzpatrick, Allen put up his highest career passer rating of 146.7, which still stands as his best in the regular season. At the time, the only other Bills player to throw for at least 415 yards and four scores was Joe Ferguson in 1983. Allen did it again in 2022.

3) 2021 - Divisional Round @ Kansas City (Result: Loss 36 - 42)

Stats: 308 Passing Yards, 66 Rushing Yards, 5 TD's Passing, 84% Completion Percentage, 136.0 Rating

This game goes down as one of the greatest playoff games in NFL history and would be ranked higher if the Bills didn't throw away the win. The duel between Allen and Mahomes was epic. Josh Allen’s decision on the overtime coin toss was his only mistake all night. The lead changed hands three times in the final two minutes of regulation, with 25 points scored over that span. Mahomes and Allen each threw for at least 300 yards and three touchdowns, completed at least 70% of their passes without an interception, and led their teams with at least 65 yards rushing. No other quarterbacks in NFL history have accomplished those feats in a game, regular season or postseason.

4) 2020 - Week 13 @ San Francisco (Result: Win 34 - 24)

Stats: 375 Passing Yards, 11 Rushing Yards, 4 TD's Passing, 80% Completion Percentage, 139.1 Rating

The most memorable part of this game was watching Robert Saleh, then 49ers defensive coordinator, go dead inside as Allen scored yet again on his "vaunted" defense. He had no answer. Allen could not be stopped. It was Allen's fourth game of the season with at least 300 yards passing and three touchdowns, setting a franchise record. It was the Bills first Monday Night Football win since 1999.

5) 2021 - Week 5 @ Kansas City (Result: Win 38 - 20)

Stats: 315 Passing Yards, 59 Rushing Yards, 3 TD's Passing, 1 TD Rushing, 58% Completion Percentage, 139.1 Rating

Beating Kansas City and Mahomes for the first time was a big hurdle to overcome. Allen and the Bills finally looked like they were on par with the Chiefs and ready to contend with the best the NFL had to offer. Allen had one of his memorable leaps over a defender, threw for three TD's, and ran for another. This was a huge win that helped propel Josh Allen into consideration for the best QB in the NFL.

6) 2020 - Week 9 vs Seattle (Result: Win 44 - 34)

Stats: 415 Passing Yards, 14 Rushing Yards, 3 TD's Passing, 82% Completion Percentage, 138.5 Rating

Seattle made it interesting late by getting their point total to 34, but this game was never that close. The Bills came out and dominated the first half. Overcoming the death of his grandmother, Josh Allen put on a clinic. The 44 points allowed were the most in Pete Carroll's 11 seasons in Seattle and the most for the franchise since 2009.

7) 2022 - Week 2 vs Tennessee (Result: Win 41 - 7)

Stats: 317 Passing Yards, 10 Rushing Yards, 4 TD's Passing, 68% Completion Percentage, 128.9 Rating

The Bills had struggled against the Tennessee Titans in recent seasons, so this game was sweet revenge for Bills fans. Allen threw four touchdown passes, including three to Stefon Diggs. The defense also played well, forcing four turnovers and causing Ryan Tannehill to be benched. This was Allen's 15th game with 300 yards passing or more. That's impressive since he sat out the entire fourth quarter. “We got our (butts) kicked, plain and simple,” said Mike Vrabel afterward.

8) 2020 - Week 15 @ Denver (Result: Win 48 - 19)

Stats: 359 Passing Yards, 33 Rushing Yards, 2 TD's Passing, 2 TD's Rushing, 70% Completion Percentage, 114.5 Rating

This win cemented the division crown for the Bills for the first time since 1995. Josh Allen was electric. Vic Fangio watched helplessly on the sideline as Allen dismantled the Broncos defense over and over. To this day I remember that blank stare on his face as he threw his hands up, knowing there was no way to contain Allen. This game had it all from Allen: efficient passing, big throws, big runs, and stunned opponents. Before this game, Broncos fans were comparing Drew Lock to Josh Allen. That ended pretty quickly.

9) 2022 - Week 5 vs Pittsburgh (Result: Win 38 - 3)

Stats: 424 Passing Yards, 42 Rushing Yards, 4 TD's Passing, 1 INT, 65% Completion Percentage, 134.1 Rating

The revenge win against the Steelers, who beat the Bills week 1 of the previous season, was a total beatdown. Allen's 98-yard TD pass to Gabe Davis, getting hit as he threw it, was one of the best plays of his career. He also had another 62-yard TD pass to Davis (one of Davis's best TD catches ever). He threw for 424 yards, which is currently the highest total in his career, despite getting pulled in favor of Case Keenum early in the fourth quarter. This loss was the biggest margin of defeat for the Steelers since 1989. “We just got smashed today,” said Mike Tomlin afterward.

10) 2018 - Week 17 vs Miami (Result: Win 42 - 17)

Stats: 224 Passing Yards, 95 Rushing Yards, 3 TD's Passing, 2 TD's Rushing, 1 INT, 65% Completion Percentage, 114.9 Rating

Even though we ended Josh's rookie year by missing the playoffs, this game gave Bills fans so much hope and excitement for the future. Josh came out to prove he could be an efficient passer, checking the ball down, taking short throws, and completing passes at a rate he rarely did in the previous games his rookie season. He continued to run the ball exceptionally well, wracking up nearly 100 yards rushing and two rushing TD's. And he did it all with an offense devoid of talent, throwing to the likes of Zay Jones and Robert Foster. This still stands out as one of Josh Allen's best games and complete performances.

There are so many other games to consider. I left some good ones off the list. This is a great time to be alive as a Bills fan.

Nice list and a nice read, thanks. Want to do an All- Miami list? LOL, he’s really kicked their asses quite a bit and I sure hope he continues to do so…. I think that’s up to Beane though…. And I hope KA looks way better this year….

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.