OT: ESPN backs out of NHL TV Contract

While the owners and NHLPA discuss revenue measurement and reporting issues, the biggest sports television network declines to pick up the 2006 season option. What a bunch of tards.... :lol:

Just as the owners and NHL execs have been saying from day one, the longer this takes, the less money available.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=126216&hubName=nhl

Being Canadian I am the exception liking football more than hockey. People here are in denial about the NHL, atleast in my opinion they think think its right up there with the NBA, NFL and MLB, which they are not right? MLB, the NFL and the NBA have no trouble getting a contract from a major network, however it does not really seem like any of the major networks want the NHL, as it has bounced around from Fox to ABC and now NBC.

Being Canadian I am the exception liking football more than hockey. People here are in denial about the NHL, atleast in my opinion they think think its right up there with the NBA, NFL and MLB, which they are not right? MLB, the NFL and the NBA have no trouble getting a contract from a major network, however it does not really seem like any of the major networks want the NHL, as it has bounced around from Fox to ABC and now NBC.

Hey, this is WB's chance! Go for it, froggie!

I would say today is NHL's worst day. Is this worse than the NBA?

347183[/snapback]

I watch hockey more right now then I do NBA basketball. And by that I have seen more NFL games on ESPN classic in the last moth then I have any live NBA games.

While the owners and NHLPA discuss revenue measurement and reporting issues, the biggest sports television network declines to pick up the 2006 season option.  What a bunch of tards....  :)

Just as the owners and NHL execs have been saying from day one, the longer this takes, the less money available.

347034[/snapback]

INCREDIBLE stupidity by all involved in the NHL. The first mistake was paying players big time money in a regional league. Average salary in a league like this should be between 600 and 800k....-with only the Lemieux's and Gretzky's getting the big $. No one gives a damn about hockey west of the Mississippi or south of St louis.San Jose has an intense/loyal/local following---but they hardly even mention them on the bay area sports stations--and 1 out of a hundred in the bay area could even name any of their players.

RIP to a once great league..a once great sport.

I watch hockey more right now then I do NBA basketball.  And by that I have seen more NFL games on ESPN classic in the last moth then I have any live NBA games.

347186[/snapback]

The NBA sucks ....the quality has gone waaaay down.

While the owners and NHLPA discuss revenue measurement and reporting issues, the biggest sports television network declines to pick up the 2006 season option.  What a bunch of tards....  :)

347034[/snapback]

IMO, this couldn't be going any better for the Buffalo Sabres. The agreement that was reportedly almost struck after the first "season cancellation" was too much of a concession to the players and big market teams, IMO. The Sabres franchise was on a death march, losing money hand over fist with a RELATIVELY low payroll, and Golisano would have never bought the team if he didn't know a correction was forthcoming.

The more things like ESPN backing out that happen, the closer to equal revenue sharing, reasonable salaries and subsequently, reasonable ticket prices the NHL will get. If salaries get cheap, the NHL will lose some of the mid-level Euro's, but with any luck, fans in places like Atlanta and Nashville will lose all interest in the game like Montreal did after the last MLB strike and the league will contract and make the teams in cities that love hockey deeper. The NHL is not dead, and will not die, it will just be different.

I watch hockey more right now then I do NBA basketball.  And by that I have seen more NFL games on ESPN classic in the last moth then I have any live NBA games.

347186[/snapback]

for a self-proclaimed intellectual who corrects the grammar of others, you should learn the difference between than and then. The meaning of your sentence changes dramatically.

The NBA has been on a steady decline for years.  I use to like watching it when Jordan and Pippen won all those championships.  I actually rooted for the first Dream Team in the olympics.  Can't say I did that during the last olympics.

347205[/snapback]

I have been an NBA fan for almost 30 years. I agree, there is plenty to dislike about the leauge, but as an avid Celtics fan, I can remember people making the same complaints about the Bird/Magic era NBA as they do about todays' leauge. IMO, the NBA has created a monster for itself, by marketing the individual players, over the teams. In essence, the NBA players really do have their leauge by the short and curlies! A lot of this is fallout from the Jordan era. I loved watching Jordan play, but when he was gone, the NBA obsessed itself with finding the "next Jordan". As a result, you have 30 guys across the leauge, thinking they are the "next Jordan", holding all the power with their franchises. What happened to Jim O'Brian in Philadelphia earlier this week is the perfect example. Was it Chris Webber or AI that got him fired, who knows. The only thing clear is that a great basketball coach got screwed to accomodate a one selfish player.

This is one huge edge that the NFL has over all other sports. In the NFL there are few players who are well known outside of the world of the NFL. Fan loaylty seems to always lie more with the team, than the players themselves.

The NY Post, with crazy Larry Brooks, is claiming that the salary level will be 24-28 million basement

347360[/snapback]

That's where it should be. The revenue stream doesn't justify more than 2 Mil for the teams best player. The NHL is NOT a major sport in North America, otherwise people would actually watch national games on major networks. I read where Girls softball games were garnering higher ratings on ESPN. Now they don't have a national contract in America.

The players must love playing for peanuts in Europe. They need to wake up and be happy playing a kids game for 1-2 Mil a year or STFU. :)

I'm not even sure that the NHL can afford the 24-28 million "floor". After the long layoff, they will have some work to do to get back the fans other than the die-hards.

The players are so stupid. Each delay costs them more and more money. No player will ever make enough to make up for the money that they lost. The worst of the owners' proposals from last year will end up being higher than the final agreement they make.

Last year, it seemed that the union was out for an agreement that would ensure high pay for the top players at the detriment of the rest of them. Not even the top players are going to benefit from a new agreement. No team will be able to afford to pay 8-10 million for one player and still be able to field a decent team.

From a fan standpoint though, I think that this will have some big benefits. Ticket prices will be headed down and teams will have to really offer discounts to get the fans back.

And lastly, my biggest complaint. with no NHL news and little NFL news, the sports section lately doesn't even last for a good crap. :)

for a self-proclaimed intellectual who corrects the grammar of others, you should learn the difference between than and then.  The meaning of your sentence changes dramatically.

347225[/snapback]

Sorry you're barking up the wrong tree. Those I correct are for fun, because I know I am a bad speller.

As far as being a self proclaimed intellectual, again wrong, others have assumed that since I tend to make a lot of sense. :)

That's that makes you wrong on two things. Want to try for the strike out?