Topic for asset conscious

What are smart folks here doing to manage the risk of incompetent U.S. government eroding their future? 

I’ve been looking for property ina different place but many alternatives  seem unstable. 

any insight ?

has anyone found a good way to protect assets from institutional theft? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm assuming this would be due to currency devaluation.  As little faith as I have in the federal government, I don't see them stealing past a possible wealth tax. 

We have some funds that focus on foreign investments and have commodities.  Debt is a great hedge against inflation, and we purchased some rental properties when rates were low for this purpose.

We have thought about investing more abroad but are not intimately familiar with anyplace but the US.  Because of that I would not invest somewhere I haven't had an extended period of "boots on the ground".

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LDD said:

Everything you have is cause “Merica”…wtf? Yer smart enough to make some money but not smart enough to realize that??

No everything I have is because I had a good family with good values and made more good decisions that bad, didn’t have kids until I got married and valued education and worked hard to get ahead. 

27 minutes ago, Precision said:

I'm assuming this would be due to currency devaluation.  As little faith as I have in the federal government, I don't see them stealing past a possible wealth tax. 

We have some funds that focus on foreign investments and have commodities.  Debt is a great hedge against inflation, and we purchased some rental properties when rates were low for this purpose.

We have thought about investing more abroad but are not intimately familiar with anyplace but the US.  Because of that I would not invest somewhere I haven't had an extended period of "boots on the ground".

Excellent move. I was looking at property before rates blew up but missed pulling the trigger. Did get in a refi under3% so phew on that one. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No everything I have is because I had a good family with good values and made more good decisions that bad, didn’t have kids until I got married and valued education and worked hard to get ahead. 

Excellent move. I was looking at property before rates blew up but missed pulling the trigger. Did get in a refi under3% so phew on that one. 

Good call on the refi, glad you were able to close before rates went up!

When the market was peaking in 2021 (we were premature on the peak by a good 6 months) our advisors recommended we cash out of the higher risk investments.  We took their advice but discussed moving some of that cash into real estate.  I always liked the idea of having some debt and ours was low, so we used that toward the properties.  It was a tough decision as many landlords were burned during Covid and it took a while to find properties we liked.  For now, it looks like it's working ok. 

We have been lucky that our financial advisors have been a good resource for discussing strategies even though it may negatively impact their fee's.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It’s all secondary to the 1st world country you live in with established rule of law, a high functioning infrastructure and the safety and security afforded you by the most powerful military the world has ever seen. 
I realize your hard work and good family played important roles but people who live in other places not so fortunate have that too but are still unable to succeed as you have.  That is my point. 

• Dislike 1

14 hours ago, LDD said:

It’s all secondary to the 1st world country you live in with established rule of law, a high functioning infrastructure and the safety and security afforded you by the most powerful military the world has ever seen. 
I realize your hard work and good family played important roles but people who live in other places not so fortunate have that too but are still unable to succeed as you have.  That is my point. 

So then nobody can fail here? Good to know! Time to abolish the safety net. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So then nobody can fail here? Good to know! Time to abolish the safety net. 

Lots of people fail.  It's only step one which is why everyone wants to come here...to at least have a chance.  The rest of the steps are up to the individual.  

• Thank you (+1) 1