Oh, Great. Now Bush goes negative on Jesus

That's perfect, and unfortunately so true.  I raise similar points when debating religious conservatives who support Bush, and they usually will respond with, "It's not the same issue".  Isn't it?

25828[/snapback]

What "similar points" do you raise?

This spoof is trying to mock Bush's faith and the types of ads he runs. Note the word mock (consider the source - Mad Magazine). You can't raise similar points because this ad is a joke. It is pulling quotes from scripture, without reference to their context or their actual meaning, and manipulating them to fit an agenda. Bush manipulates quotes from Kerry and Kerry does the same to Bush. This ad is just exaggerating this by attacking Bush's faith. By doing so it is not just attacking Bush, it is attacking Christianity.

If you think they are raising serious points and you think these points are valid then you are misinformed. Do me a favor and look up the scripture they quote (which they conveniently do not reference), do some research and then once you are informed we can have a debate. Until then, the only thing I can say to you is "its not the same issue".

You should study scripture in context. Let's start with "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's," - Matthew 22

The rest is "And render unto God what is God's." Jesus was answering a trick question. The Pharisees were trying desperately to win an argument with Jesus, somehow publicly to humiliate him. The depictions of Caesar on Roman coins was offensive to the Jews, whose own coins bore no such human likenesses lest they break the commandment about graven images. But the Romans demanded they pay their taxes with Roman coins. The Jews hated paying taxes to the Romans anyway, of course, because they were paying for the Roman magistrates who ruled them and the Roman soldiers who oppressed them. So the Pharisees were asking Jesus a trick question. "Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not?" Meaning, of course, lawful before God, faithful to the Torah, which ruled out graven images altogether. If Jesus said, "No, it is unlawful," the people would be happy. But the Romans might arrest him for sedition. As far as they were concerned, Roman law took precedence over God's law. If Jesus said, "Yes, it is lawful," the Romans would be pleased, but the people would see Jesus as a puppet of the Romans and a traitor to God.

Jesus called for a coin. "Whose image is that?" he asked. "Caesar's," they snarled. "Then give Caesar what is Caesar's and give God what is God's." Clever! And we've been trying to set the boundaries for church and state ever since.

Um, the whole point of the spoof was not that Bush is being hypocritical about his faith.

The point was that Bush will do anything and say anything, including take quotes out of context, to get re-elected.

Since you've all shown the quotes were taken out of context, you've pretty much made the spoof's point.

Thank you.

Um, the whole point of the spoof was not that Bush is being hypocritical about his faith.

The point was that Bush will do anything and say anything, including take quotes out of context, to get re-elected.

26033[/snapback]

It's entirely possible it's both.

Thanks for proving my point.

25999[/snapback]

Wow, that was intelligent.

Prove to me you know what you are talking about and then I'll have an adult conversation with you. My point was and is simply this: you obviously do not understand the scripture referenced - if you did you would understand that it is taken out of context and in no way raises any questions about Bush policies that contradict his faith.

This isn't about Bush or Christianity, this is about you maintaining beliefs about something without making any effort to examine the truth. If you still maintain those beliefs after actually doing some research and listening and debating with someone like myself, then I will respect you, until then childish remarks like that only prove my point and affirm to everyone reading this that you don't know what you are talking about.

Point conceded, but I think it's more the latter than the former, i.e., that Bush is so desperate to win he'd sell The Man down the river if he had to.

26046[/snapback]

Substitute Kerry for Bush and you'd have just as true a statement. Of course, being the partisan spider monkey you are, you'll just keep throwing your own stevestojan around the board while pretending it's lasagna.

Since you've all shown the quotes were taken out of context, you've pretty much made the spoof's point.

Thank you.

26033[/snapback]

I agree and you'll see that in my first post. However, I do think it is also taking a chance to mock and criticize Bush's faith.

As for your contention that Bush "will do anything and say anything, including take quotes out of context", there is obviously truth to that, but it runs evenly on both sides.

You say that "Bush is so desperate to win he'd sell The Man down the river if he had to", but I think all the facts about Bush speak against that. I know people don't like polls, but most polls show that people feel Bush is much more likely to stick to his principles and beliefs as opposed to Kerry. The last poll I heard like that, it had Bush up 60-40 or something.

Unfortunately, both candidates still do it all the time, but I think it is incorrect to paint Bush in such a negative light.