Reggie Witherspoon and Jim Whitesell shouldn’t be Buffalo head basketball coaches anymore discuss?

Buffalo Super Fan

Both the Griffs Reggie Witherspoon back to back 20 loss seasons and Bulls Jim Whitesell both should be forced to retire or fired the option is up to them. But no way should neither one of these coaches should be brought back next season. Good luck to the Niagara Purple Eagles basketball team our last Western New York Big 4 team still with a chance at the NCAA Tournament going against the MAAC Tournament favorite Iona Gaels with Rick Pitino that is a heavy lift for our Purple Eagles in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Go Griffs! Go Bonnies! Go Purple Eagles! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Wow that didn’t take long. UB Bulls should hire the guy they should have hired to replace Nate Oats in the first place Bryan Hodgson age 36 currently assistant coach at Alabama who is a Buffalo area guy. So if he succeeds he might stay awhile like the St Bonaventure Bonnies head coach Mark Schmidt. Bryan Hodgson was the lead recruiter for Nate Oats at UB. He should have job over the older mediocre 62 year old Jim Whitesell. Bryan Hodgson has been back to Buffalo to do a lot of charity work and was the coach of the UB Bulls basketball alumni team that won the TBT championship last summer.

Now Reggie Witherspoon the Griffs basketball head coach has to go back to back 20 loss seasons I don’t care if the Griffs are playing in a parking lot for a home court it’s hard to go back to back 20 loss season with 30 games scheduled what a incompetent bum. My mother turned 80 years old this year would have a better Griffs head coach basketball record than that. I could put Petey the Griffs mascot on the coaches chair that wouldn’t lose 20 out of 30 back to back completely a failure. Why is this even something to think Canisius College? As a Canisius alum the Griffs basketball decline since I was there in the late 1980’s as a former Griffs team manager hurts more than anyone can imagine. When you are part of a Division I team even as a team manager your a Griff for life so it hurts. It hurts more than any medical challenge I have faced with my muscular dystrophy for 55 years on this earth and I have faced many.

It’s bad enough the Griffs basketball don’t play downtown anymore at Key Bank Center and the Griffs basketball program has been downgraded since I was there. The Griffs basketball when I was there this is before the Buffalo Bandits even existed and before UB Bulls went Division I. This Griffs basketball program had former Buffalo Bills GM Bill Polian going to Griffs games at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium so it was more relevant big time compared to today at the KAC a glorified high school gym. Reggie Witherspoon has turned the Griffs basketball program into a joke. It’s embarrassing and it shouldn’t be happening. The Griffs need to fire this bum in my opinion. Go Bulls! Go Griffs! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Wow that didn’t take long. UB Bulls should hire the guy they should have hired to replace Nate Oats in the first place Bryan Hodgson age 36 currently assistant coach at Alabama who is a Buffalo area guy. So if he succeeds he might stay awhile like the St Bonaventure Bonnies head coach Mark Schmidt. Bryan Hodgson was the lead recruiter for Nate Oats at UB. He should have job over the older mediocre 62 year old Jim Whitesell. Bryan Hodgson has been back to Buffalo to do a lot of charity work and was the coach of the UB Bulls basketball alumni team that won the TBT championship last summer.

Now Reggie Witherspoon the Griffs basketball head coach has to go back to back 20 loss seasons I don’t care if the Griffs are playing in a parking lot for a home court it’s hard to go back to back 20 loss season with 30 games scheduled what a incompetent bum. My mother turned 80 years old this year would have a better Griffs head coach basketball record than that. I could put Petey the Griffs mascot on the coaches chair that wouldn’t lose 20 out of 30 back to back completely a failure. Why is this even something to think Canisius College? As a Canisius alum the Griffs basketball decline since I was there in the late 1980’s as a former Griffs team manager hurts more than anyone can imagine. When you are part of a Division I team even as a team manager your a Griff for life so it hurts. It hurts more than any medical challenge I have faced with my muscular dystrophy for 55 years on this earth and I have faced many.

It’s bad enough the Griffs basketball don’t play downtown anymore at Key Bank Center and the Griffs basketball program has been downgraded since I was there. The Griffs basketball when I was there this is before the Buffalo Bandits even existed and before UB Bulls went Division I. This Griffs basketball program had former Buffalo Bills GM Bill Polian going to Griffs games at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium so it was more relevant big time compared to today at the KAC a glorified high school gym. Reggie Witherspoon has turned the Griffs basketball program into a joke. It’s embarrassing and it shouldn’t be happening. The Griffs need to fire this bum in my opinion. Go Bulls! Go Griffs! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You don’t realize how hard it is to recruit in the MAAC at canisius lol

what recruit with D1 talent would that be their 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th option?

it’s not like 1970 anymore … they get bottom of barrel D1 kids

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Rumors are that Nate Oats' Alabama assistant, and former Oats assistant at UB, Bryan Hodgson is being brought in to replace Whitesell.

Would love this. Bring back the youth movement to the coaching staff. Not that Oats was young by any means but his style is so different from the old school mentality. Whitesell probably tried to replicate what Oats did but his old school thinking got in the way. 

Also, Hodgson won the TBT tourney with Blue Collar U. Continually involved with winning cultures. 

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Rumors are that Nate Oats' Alabama assistant, and former Oats assistant at UB, Bryan Hodgson is being brought in to replace Whitesell.

I'll see it to believe.  UB isn't doing very well financially, and Hodgson makes significantly more already as a assistant than Whitesell did as HC.

Whitesell had a base of 300k, while Hodgson is making 425k.  Hodgson will have ample opportunities over the next couple of years to be a HC at a program willingly to pay in the millions.

On 3/12/2023 at 1:03 AM, Buffalo716 said:

You don’t realize how hard it is to recruit in the MAAC at canisius lol

what recruit with D1 talent would that be their 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th option?

it’s not like 1970 anymore … they get bottom of barrel D1 kids

Warning I am old 55 years old and represent old time Western New York values if you aren’t comfortable with that don’t read. What you are going to hear is the truth with no sugar coating and no excuses. This is a very important subject to me to discuss the decline of Canisius Golden Griffins basketball that should not be happening or ignored because it is easy to pretend and ignore. I get it it’s not hard it is next to impossible to recruit KAC the facility is substandard. Reggie Witherspoon is staying and that is just a joke. Both the Canisius AD Bill Maher and Reggie Witherspoon need to go Canisius College is wasting people’s time with this nonsense.

BSF what would you do? I was a Canisius Golden Griffins team manager in the 1980’s so I have been on the inside so this Griffs basketball team is personal with me. This school basketball program was downgraded from when I was there with the KAC move full time which I was against that but I thought don’t say anything see how it will turn out they were selling this as a temporary move until a new basketball on campus arena over 20 years ago. With the retirement of Canisius AD Dr. Daniel Starr who I consider a friend that spelled doom and it isn’t ok. So save it this is not ok.

First Canisius College can’t draw at the KAC it was a strange and bad decision. I would play the least amount of non conference home games possible by NCAA rules next season. Then I would play all pay day games against up opponents for my non conference schedule. BSF the Griffs will get crushed? Yes but we are getting crushed now back to back 20 loss season bring in much needed revenue for Griffs basketball. We will get the money games because we are a terrible basketball team so schools from power schools will play us for the easy win. If we get a upset fine if not so be it at this early stage Griffs basketball plan.

Once you do that you take the money and slowly faze your way out of KAC  back to Key Bank Center with the money from the pay day games. You start with a game or two working your way slowly back to Key Bank Center as many games as you can afford to pay for Key Bank Center for rent which is costly but not impossible. It doesn’t matter if 5 Buffalo fans show up we need Key Bank Center for recruiting. It fixes the big leagues feel, beer, video boards are already at Key Bank Center. We need at some point to have Key Bank Center be our Griffs basketball home again with not generic Big 4 floor or Key Bank Center or Marine Midland Arena our own Griffs floor with the retro Griffins at center court like the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium with Buffalo on the baselines so recruits even know where Canisius College is located.

We need to do this slowly because we are looking at last I heard $29,000 a game to rent Key Bank Center it could be more today not sure. We need to use the pay day games to use towards this plan. PSE has Griffs hockey I don’t believe they will pass on the Canisius basketball money to play games at Key Bank Center again. Plus Key Bank Center is going to be renovated at some point Canisius Griffs basketball needs to get back there with the stuff going on at Canalside and they are talking about building a neighborhood there we need to become the Buffalo Bisons like with Canisius Griffs basketball a cheap drinking party night out again to rebuild a Buffalo fan base again. We use to be that. We need to be the main Buffalo City basketball team again and have to emphasize that more. The only actual Division I college basketball team inside the city of Buffalo itself where they actually play all there games today.

Again there is no coach in America most likely getting to the NCAA tournament in a 2,000 seat KAC with 500 Griffs fans because Buffalo sports fans is saying no I don’t like that very dry arena. What do you mean BSF? Let’s stop playing games beer. Again Reggie Witherspoon who ever Rick Pitino isn’t winning selling recruits KAC it’s not happening. The Griffs last NCAA tournament appearance was 1996 losing to Keith Van Horn’s Utah Utes the last year at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium for Griffs basketball. It doesn’t matter if 5 people are at the Key Bank Center we can’t recruit at KAC. Trust BSF slowly move the Griffs basketball back to Key Bank Center and let Providence, Georgetown and Marquette beat us by 30 points in non conference road games it’s better than the Griffs beating a Division 3 Fredonia State that is a disgrace. 

I am fired up because I am sick of this small time Buffalo nonsense from this school’s administration for over 20 years. How fired up are you BSF? Very fired up both those two bums running Griffs basketball into the ground need to be fired pass the hat raise the money it’s a complete disgrace. BSF the new Canisius President? He is a bum for not firing both Reggie Witherspoon and Bill Maher this weekend. Strike one and two already if he is that incompetent he needs to be fired if he refuses to do this resign quit I don’t care he is a bum. To the Western New York sports fans that think this is ok and our Buffalo media that is completely useless with no real questioning the Canisius College Administration there useless today. I don’t care if I am thrown off this Bills message board this is personal with me as a Buffalonian this is not acceptable to me this is the core problem with Western New York stuff like this. Don’t tell me Buffalo is back with stuff like this ridiculous fix Griffs basketball it’s not impossible in my opinion. Go Griffs! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I'll see it to believe.  UB isn't doing very well financially, and Hodgson makes significantly more already as a assistant than Whitesell did as HC.

Whitesell had a base of 300k, while Hodgson is making 425k.  Hodgson will have ample opportunities over the next couple of years to be a HC at a program willingly to pay in the millions.

What makes you say UB isn't well off $$$?

image.png.d51d87767df95c85f76fb485940a3b

On 3/14/2023 at 7:41 AM, Back2Buff said:

Because I know people who have been laid off and they are constantly cutting scholarship to other sports.

Some of the jobs at UB are NY state civil service jobs, and some other jobs are funded by grants/endowments or even alumni money.  

If the state consolidates departments or a specific department's grant/endowment/alumni money runs out some people unfortunately get laid off. 

Sure doesn't mean the school has money problems. 

On 3/13/2023 at 6:58 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

What makes you say UB isn't well off $$$?

image.png.d51d87767df95c85f76fb485940a3b

First of all we don’t have many in our Western New Media anymore that question things anymore which is really sad. Thankfully we have BSF but he is 55 years old and aging. Wait until there are no more BSF’s it isn’t going to be good just a lot of Buffalonians grinning like fools as bad economic project after bad economic project keeps happening as the economic prosperity ship sails by Buffalo. And the amazing thing is there are some Buffalo Bills fans on this message board brainwashed into believing investing $1 billion dollars into UB Bulls athletics instead of the Kennington Tunnel can’t be done at UB Big Ten Conference we have the Buffalo Bills let’s flush our taxpayers money down the drain with a $1 billion dollar Kennington Tunnel coming 1,2,3………..!

BSF you don’t know what you’re talking about Western New York is happening today we have a Kennington Tunnel for billion dollars we don’t need UB in the Big Ten Conference we have the Buffalo Bills. So to my critics you lack attention span to root for the Buffalo Bills on Sunday and UB Bulls on Saturday that is too hard? Why? You need the billion dollar tunnel for what exactly? How is that bringing in new money that wasn’t already here in Western New York? Television money UB Big Ten Conference brings in with my UB plan of Big Ten Conference over the Kennington Tunnel. Plus the spin off business what business can you spin off with a tunnel to no where new? It’s sad we are a joke and what is sadly worse is some Buffalo sports fans feel a Super Bowl or a Stanley Cup is changing the bad economic decisions like the tunnel it isn’t. $1 billion dollars on a tunnel is crazy and poor economic development that doesn’t do all that much for Western New York economically it especially does nothing for UB what so ever in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Hodgson going to Arkansas St should tell all you need to know about the money available for a HC.

Maybe you missed the scandal surrounding Alabama basketball right now? There no way a SUNY school would go near anyone involved with it. I think you have it backwards. If Hodgeson was such a hot coaching prospect, why is he going to a backwater program like Arkansas State?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe you missed the scandal surrounding Alabama basketball right now? There no way a SUNY school would go near anyone involved with it. I think you have it backwards. If Hodgeson was such a hot coaching prospect, why is he going to a backwater program like Arkansas State?

lol, that scandal has nothing to do with Hodgson.  You're reaching.

Is Arkansas State going backwards?  The last coach was paid more than Whitesell was paid at UB.  

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Is Arkansas State going backwards?  The last coach was paid more than Whitesell was paid at UB.  

You are delusional. Who do you think recruited those players involved? Even if he had nothing to do with it, it's guilt by association. SUNY has a lower tolerance for shenanigans than most schools.

And I repeat my question to you: why would Hodgeson go to ArkSt when he's such a hot candidate?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You are delusional. Who do you think recruited those players involved? Even if he had nothing to do with it, it's guilt by association. SUNY has a lower tolerance for shenanigans than most schools.

And I repeat my question to you: why would Hodgeson go to ArkSt when he's such a hot candidate?

Hodgson has zero say in the discipline of those players.  Guilty by association does not apply to Hodgson here.  What do you want him to do?  Go against his HC?

He's going to Arkansas St because he is getting paid.

40 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Hodgson has zero say in the discipline of those players.  Guilty by association does not apply to Hodgson here.  What do you want him to do?  Go against his HC?

He's going to Arkansas St because he is getting paid.

Yup, paid $385K. :lol: About what Whitesell was making. Oats made $612K his final season at UB. There goes your take right out the window.

And you may not care about your player being involved in a murder but universities hiring coaches do.

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yup, paid $385K. :lol: About what Whitesell was making. Oats made $612K his final season at UB. There goes your take right out the window.

And you may not care about your player being involved in a murder but universities hiring coaches do.

Whitesell was making 300k.

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I tell it like it is because at 55 years old as qualifying as a senior now in Western New York I don’t care I am old. I agree with you but as a UB Bulls fan and season ticket holder for over 30 years this school alumni have been in denial for years. St Bonaventure Bonnies pays head basketball coach Mark Schmidt over a $1 million dollars a year and some of these UB alums have an excuse for not paying a UB Bulls coach. The reality is Mark Schmidt makes as much as UB Bulls football and basketball head coaches combine. Then the UB Bulls alums will have the stones to say St Bonaventure Bonnies isn’t a Western New York school or a small college or whatever put down deflecting from reality. I am a Canisius College alum that is a fan of all four Big Four college basketball schools. I just want Western New York to win I don’t care which school does it just win a national championship for Western New York.

Yesterday March 21, 1977 was the one and only post season National Championship the St Bonaventure Bonnies NIT championship Western New York ever won in college basketball over head coach Guy Lewis’s Houston Cougars with star player Otis Birdsong at Madison Square Garden. I was 9 years old when the Bonnies won for Western New York that is how long it’s been. I don’t care about UB Bulls excuses nor that PSE bum Terry Pegula’s excuses for failure. Just win a National Championships for the Western New York area Bonnies, UB Bulls, Bills, Sabres whatever just win the championship fools the whole bunch excuse making fools five and dime owners and five and dime donors in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I tell it like it is because at 55 years old as qualifying as a senior now in Western New York I don’t care I am old. I agree with you but as a UB Bulls fan and season ticket holder for over 30 years this school alumni have been in denial for years. St Bonaventure Bonnies pays head basketball coach Mark Schmidt over a $1 million dollars a year and some of these UB alums have an excuse for not paying a UB Bulls coach. The reality is Mark Schmidt makes as much as UB Bulls football and basketball head coaches combine. Then the UB Bulls alums will have the stones to say St Bonaventure Bonnies isn’t a Western New York school or a small college or whatever put down deflecting from reality. I am a Canisius College alum that is a fan of all four Big Four college basketball schools. I just want Western New York to win I don’t care which school does it just win a national championship for Western New York.

Yesterday March 21, 1977 was the one and only post season National Championship the St Bonaventure Bonnies NIT championship Western New York ever won in college basketball over head coach Guy Lewis’s Houston Cougars with star player Otis Birdsong at Madison Square Garden. I was 9 years old when the Bonnies won for Western New York that is how long it’s been. I don’t care about UB Bulls excuses nor that PSE bum Terry Pegula’s excuses for failure. Just win a National Championships for the Western New York area Bonnies, UB Bulls, Bills, Sabres whatever just win the championship fools the whole bunch excuse making fools five and dime owners and five and dime donors in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Things were trending in the right direction for a bit.  UB was seeing the financial benefits of what a successful program could be.  They gave Hurley his extension when they thought he was going to stay, and then they gave Oats an extension too.  What those contracts really did for UB was give them huge buy outs, and UB decided to not flip that buy out into paying more for a new coach, they went the cheap route.  They took that money and put it into other areas that are really struggling financially.  Same thing with the football team too.

One thing I will back UBs financial team with is, the donors just aren't there.  Getting money to build the field house was worse than pulling teeth.  They have to more or less, stick to the budget that is given to them by the college.  They don't  have this huge donor alumni fund that other colleges are working with.

I'm not expecting much with this next hire.  I would venture to guess it will be a younger guy in the hopes they can get another buy out in the future if he succeeds and gets hired.  That is what they did with Mo.  It's not working because he is a terrible coach, but they thought he had a bright future of a buy out.

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Whitesell was making 300k.

His final season he was making $400K apparently.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Things were trending in the right direction for a bit.  UB was seeing the financial benefits of what a successful program could be.  They gave Hurley his extension when they thought he was going to stay, and then they gave Oats an extension too.  What those contracts really did for UB was give them huge buy outs, and UB decided to not flip that buy out into paying more for a new coach, they went the cheap route.  They took that money and put it into other areas that are really struggling financially.  Same thing with the football team too.

One thing I will back UBs financial team with is, the donors just aren't there.  Getting money to build the field house was worse than pulling teeth.  They have to more or less, stick to the budget that is given to them by the college.  They don't  have this huge donor alumni fund that other colleges are working with.

I'm not expecting much with this next hire.  I would venture to guess it will be a younger guy in the hopes they can get another buy out in the future if he succeeds and gets hired.  That is what they did with Mo.  It's not working because he is a terrible coach, but they thought he had a bright future of a buy out.

If you really want to follow what's going on, click this link: https://ubfan.com/bb/index.php?/topic/9092-coaching-search-2023-edition/

There are some very exciting candidates being talked about. But I would suggest making yourself familiar with this guy...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.