6th graders weigh 124 lbs

You are some large folks. 

The average weight for a 12 year old is:

94 pounds for a girl

89 pounds for a boy

http://www.babybag.com/articles/htwt_av.htm

345263[/snapback]

Who says they were talking about weight WRT "size of a 6th grader?" Looking at the chart, the fish would be the same height as an average 6th grader....last I checked height was a valid measure of size....

:blink:

...and you never reached 58 inches in height either.  :lol:

345526[/snapback]

My, My :flirt:

Short People got nobody

To love

They got little baby legs

And they stand so low

You got to pick 'em up

Just to say hello

They got little cars

That got beep, beep, beep

They got little voices

Goin' peep, peep, peep

They got grubby little fingers

And dirty little minds

:blink:

You got that right.....there ARE a lot of obese kids in schools....

My kid isn't one of them though.....at 143 pounds he has almost no fat on him....

Big shoulders

Huge legs and ankles

Has arms that are actually defined

And get this....he actually has a fricken 4 pack......

He doesnt look ANYTHING like me at that age.....I was heavy early and started getting more athletic as I got older after hitting the weightroom....however his mom was an athlete early.

345421[/snapback]

My son is in 6th grade and weighs 78 lbs. He is not short either.

I see of those types of builds to......very tall for their age but lanky.

He will fill out.

One of the things that I am really starting to look at is the hight and weight of kids that age because I am going to be coaching my first bonafied year as a assistant youth football coach. I am both excited but nervous.

These are the years where the boys start getting their first taste of a real gym setting......we have basically 2 gyms in our town (aside from the high schools and junior college gym) one is a club that caters more to the older crowd and the other is the gym I go to....been a member for about 4 years now.

Kids cannot be in the gym at all unless in the basketball court or swimming pool until they are 13 years old......so here is where you start to see kids filtering in here and there........

It is sad really....a lot of these kids come into the gym...basically dropped off there with no supervision and watch other people use the equipment to try to get the hang of it.....they know nothing of sets, reps, training schedules, diet, supplementation, and they sit there and watch the monsters work out and try to mimic them.

Now....my kid had been begging me to take him to the gym at 12.....but I told him no....he could swim or play basketball but the gym rules are there for a reason....so the day after he turned 13 (and it was on a friggen SUNDAY) he pulls me out of bed and says...."OK...lets go" he couldnt wait to try all the cool looking gym equipment.

Brett knows a lot of these kids because he goes to school with them....and I will in one way or another probably be coaching these kids come Sept.......so we try to help them when we can.....

He will fill out.

One of the things that I am really starting to look at is the hight and weight of kids that age because I am going to be coaching my first bonafied year as a assistant youth football coach.  I am both excited but nervous.

These are the years where the boys start getting their first taste of a real gym setting......we have basically 2 gyms in our town (aside from the high schools and junior college gym) one is a club that caters more to the older crowd and the other is the gym I go to....been a member for about 4 years now.

Kids cannot be in the gym at all unless in the basketball court or swimming pool until they are 13 years old......so here is where you start to see kids filtering in here and there........

It is sad really....a lot of these kids come into the gym...basically dropped off there with no supervision and watch other people use the equipment to try to get the hang of it.....they know nothing of sets, reps, training schedules, diet, supplementation, and they sit there and watch the monsters work out and try to mimic them.

Now....my kid had been begging me to take him to the gym at 12.....but I told him no....he could swim or play basketball but the gym rules are there for a reason....so the day after he turned 13 (and it was on a friggen SUNDAY) he pulls me out of bed and says...."OK...lets go" he couldnt wait to try all the cool looking gym equipment.

Brett knows a lot of these kids because he goes to school with them....and I will in one way or another probably be coaching these kids come Sept.......so we try to help them when we can.....

345811[/snapback]

Uh, gym used to start in 1st grade...

He will fill out.

One of the things that I am really starting to look at is the hight and weight of kids that age because I am going to be coaching my first bonafied year as a assistant youth football coach.  I am both excited but nervous.

345811[/snapback]

No teenager (even 13) should be weight training. Body weight exercises are far more effective and won't stress growing joints.

Opinions go back and forth on that......

345913[/snapback]

I've yet to meet anyone who's lifted weights for a few years who doesn't have some kind of joint damage. Children are more often than not unsupervised in that environment and because of that will attempt to do things that their bone structure can't handle. There are long term repercussions to it.

The long bar bench press may be the worst weight lifting exercise ever invented (the deadlift is right there, too). It's also the most popular - especially for football players.

I've seen men who can bench press over 300 pounds who aren't able to do even one hindu pushup, forget about doing 200+ squat thrusts or inverted pushups. That's one of the biggest problems with weightlifting - you don't work the stabilizer muscles adequately.

I've yet to meet anyone who's lifted weights for a few years who doesn't have some kind of joint damage.  Children are more often than not unsupervised in that environment and because of that will attempt to do things that their bone structure can't handle.  There are long term repercussions to it.

The long bar bench press may be the worst weight lifting exercise ever invented (the deadlift is right there, too).  It's also the most popular - especially for football players.

I've seen men who can bench press over 300 pounds who aren't able to do even one hindu pushup, forget about doing 200+ squat thrusts or inverted pushups.  That's one of the biggest problems with weightlifting - you don't work the stabilizer muscles adequately.

345919[/snapback]

You make some definate points.......the purpose of my post was more to talk about how these kids ARE dropped off unsupervised and told "ok son...your old enough now...go to it" I will see these kids in the gym and feel bad for them....they are going to be in there anyway so might as well know how to use equipment correctly....

My son doesn't do any squatting or deadlifting yet....I just dont think he is ready for that this year. In place of those he does a lot of hill running and "body weight squats" since I have started my own campaign to get myself in a reasonable physical shape again and since I decided that I was going to take up coaching youth football....I have done a lot of research into areas of fitness for youth...I am also a participant on a few different "bodybiulding internet forums" so I can get information on what works and what doesn't as far as youth athletes.....

Now there is where you will find the extremists....who at 12 years old are already starting supplementaion and free weight lifting.

I just wish that more dads or older brothers would come to the gym to supervise their young athletes....it is a great father and son thing (I absolutely look forward to the time I spend with my son there)

I dont touch anything to do with anything below the waist.....someone else works with that and everything with his legs are bodyweight. When he comes with me (2 days a week while I go 5) he will do some cardio, situps, and a choice of two different workouts....we are using either the pull up assist machine, hammer strength machines, or pro smith machines for bench....never anymore weight then he can do 10 times with good form.....

Regarding teenagers using weights......while I agree with you that basic physical conditioning should be done first in order to get better gains later....you wont get high school coaches (or middle school for that matter) to agree with you on the use of weights in preparation for middle school and high school sports......it has become commonplace to be MANDITORY to be in the gym on training days with your team.....or ride the pine.

You wont get high school coaches (or middle school for that matter) to agree with you on the use of weights in preparation for middle school and high school sports......it has become commonplace to be MANDITORY to be in the gym on training days with your team.....or ride the pine.

345934[/snapback]

Oh, I know. I'm also seeing more and more injuries because of joint stress. I can absolutely wear out a football player in 20 minutes with body weight exercises and they develop SIGNIFICANTLY more explosive power than they ever would with free weights.

The smith machine is one of the worst inventions ever. The plane the machine works at for flat benching is totally wrong. The split seated bench machines are better but nothing is better than hindu pushups to failure - and they can be done DAILY.

I weighed 125 when I graduated high school.  And I'm 5'11" (and was then, too).  155 when I graduated college; now I'm about 180.

In sixth grade I think I was about 4'9 and 80 pounds.  :huh:

345314[/snapback]

I weighed 78 at the beginning of sixth grade....--I didnt realize how much of shrimp i was.