Greetings to Bills fans from Haiti!

Rubes

Hey everybody...

I am in a small rural town in Haiti right now (Cyvadier, which is just outside Jacmel in the south) working in a clinic for two weeks. We're providing what we can for health care for the people here, which is very little given what we're used to, but much more than they could hope for. It's an amazing experience.

Believe it or not, there is actually internet access here. Internet access is, interestingly, more reliable than phone service, given that it's satellite-based. It's quite an odd experience driving along the roads here and seeing one broken down shack after another, but dotted with the occasional "cyber-cafe". VoIP is probably more useful to the people here than regular phone lines. How odd is that.

In any case, just wanted you all to know that even in rural Haiti, you can still check up on the Bills once in a while, as long as the internet service is still working!

I'll be back in just under a week. Till then, Go Bills!

I spent some time in Haiti back in 1997 (or was it 98?). I was involved with building a new school for an orphanage that is run by a Catholic charity. Met some really nice people there. The kids at that school were smart as can be. They spoke 4 languages. It's not really a place that I'd want to go on vacation, but if they have internet access it sounds like things are improving for them. When I was there I couldn't even get a decent shower and the electricity would go out randomly, sometimes for a couple of days at a time. Good luck down there keep up the good work. I know the people there appreciate help like you're giving them.

I spent some time in Haiti back in 1997 (or was it 98?).  I was involved with building a new school for an orphanage that is run by a Catholic charity.  Met some really nice people there.  The kids at that school were smart as can be.  They spoke 4 languages.  It's not really a place that I'd want to go on vacation, but if they have internet access it sounds like things are improving for them.  When I was there I couldn't even get a decent shower and the electricity would go out randomly, sometimes for a couple of days at a time.  Good luck down there keep up the good work.  I know the people there appreciate help like you're giving them.

343014[/snapback]

I also built schools there in 97 or 98. 1 of them was for a catholic school and we also built them a dorm. Had to go through ambush alley to get there. Great times :lol: 125 degrees on a mild day :w00t:

What agency are you working with, Rubes? We have a church member that has spent a couple weeks there in January on a medical mission. She's a nurse practitioner. She has invited me to join the group next year. I don't know If I can swing it then but maybe in January 2007.

I also built schools there in 97 or 98. 1 of them was for a catholic school and we also built them a dorm. Had to go through ambush alley to get there. Great times :doh: 125 degrees on a mild day :w00t:

343024[/snapback]

St. Michael's orphanage by any chance? The Providence Project was the name of the charity that ran the school.

My father married his second wife in Haiti.

I hate Haiti.

In fact, his second wife is probably the reason Haiti is such a fugged up place right now. If you see my father's second wife, don't give her any food and tell her I'd consider it a true family favor if she's throw herself in front of a bus.

So how's the weather there?