Beef on Weck in Orlando

\GoBillsInDallas/

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Most people don't know what real BoW is. Even people who claim to know... 😆 

Oh boy! Now you did it! It was terrible because you ordered a "French Dip" with a salted kaiser roll. 

Real original BoW calls for gravy not au jus! 😉 

Now I understand the laughing emoji!   French Dip is exactly what my Grandmother/Mother make and call Beef on Weck.   It's good but overwhelming with the French Onion Soup Mix they use.   Wife and I shared a killer Beef on Weck at Bar Bill a few months back and thats really what I am looking to make this weekend.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Now I understand the laughing emoji!   French Dip is exactly what my Grandmother/Mother make and call Beef on Weck.   It's good but overwhelming with the French Onion Soup Mix they use.   Wife and I shared a killer Beef on Weck at Bar Bill a few months back and thats really what I am looking to make this weekend.  

Yup!

Bar-Bill is good, but not authentic.  Go to Wiechec's on Clinton... Try their version of BoW. They also serve a French Dip too...

French dip is what you get at Bar-Bill and Charlie's...

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Good deal.  French Dip is my wife's favorite sandwich, just gets weird about any fat.  Glad she doesnt feel the same way about Husbands. 

Yeah... Baguette/au jus vs. kimmelweck/gravy/horseradish.

French vs. German/Polish...

Now....Ever been to Chicago & try an "Italian beef" sandwich?...  She may like the Italian version. They also do a "combo" that's an Italian beef with a link of Italian sausage added into the hoagie roll with the sliced beef.  You can wet it with au jus to taste and add melted mozzarella, hot & sweet peppers and giardiniera if you like!

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Baguette/au jus vs. kimmelweck/gravy/horseradish.

French vs. German/Polish...

Now....Ever been to Chicago & try an "Italian beef" sandwich?...  She may like the Italian version. They also do a "combo" that's an Italian beef with a link of Italian sausage added into the hoagie roll with the sliced beef.  You can wet it with au jus to taste and add melted mozzarella, hot & sweet peppers and giardiniera if you like!

Have to give it a whirl.  I work out of Chicago and travel there a few times a year.  Thank you for the recommendation!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Have to give it a whirl.  I work out of Chicago and travel there a few times a year.  Thank you for the recommendation!

Bit off topic... Because it's a BFLo thread... But this would be right home in BFLo too! Sorry for going astray.  All these sandwiches are widely similar.

That be the Italian version! 😆....Like I said... I love the "combo" sandwich, that is just a link of Italian sausage added... Dynamite shot to your arteries! 😆 

Italian_Beef_3.JPG?126

Regular Italian beef. Order it: Dipped, Wet, or Dry...

s821782712858902785_p2_i3_w940.png

"Combo" (Notice the link added)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup!

Bar-Bill is good, but not authentic.  Go to Wiechec's on Clinton... Try their version of BoW. They also serve a French Dip too...

French dip is what you get at Bar-Bill and Charlie's...

A hot roast beef sandwich is what you get at Wiechec's.

The gravy makes it as such.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A hot roast beef sandwich is what you get at Wiechec's.

The gravy makes it as such.

No. You can get that too. 

You can get three things at Wiechec's:

Beef on Weck

French Dip

Hot roast beef sandwich. 

Look at the menu. ONLY French dip comes with the drippings...

Same at Schwabl's... Why do you insist on changing the original recipe? Why is gravy so bad?

You don't make a BoW with au jus.  A BoW is heated in  gravy.

Just because you go to Bar-Bill or Charlie's,  it doesn't make it right. 

/smdh... Outsiders...

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

No. You can get that too. 

You can get three things at Wiechec's:

Beef on Weck

French Dip

Hot roast beef sandwich. 

I'll take, "All Three Are the Same at Wiechec's" for $2000, Ken!

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll take, "All Three Are the Same at Wiechec's" for $2000, Ken!

No. 2 are the same. The French dip is different, it specifically uses au jus. 

Beef on weck is a variation of hot roast beef sandwich. 

Simple. BoW uses gravy. That's the recipe!

Bar-Bill gets it wrong, Charlie's gets it wrong. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

No. 2 are the same. The French dip is different, it specifically uses au jus. 

Beef on weck is a variation of hot roast beef sandwich. 

Simple. BoW uses gravy. That's the recipe!

Bar-Bill gets it wrong, Charlie's gets it wrong. 

Do you honestly think Jesus Christ had gravy on his beef on weck at the last supper?  NO.  He had au jus.  

Luke 22:19-20. 19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my au jus, which is poured out for you.

See?  No gravy.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Do you honestly think Jesus Christ had gravy on his beef on weck at the last supper?  NO.  He had au jus.  

Luke 22:19-20. 19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my au jus, which is poured out for you.

See?  No gravy.

Of course... He's Jesus Christ... He can stretch anything, wine, basket of fish,  au jus... But us common folk need to use a little corn starch or flour to have enough to feed the proletariat! 😏 

22 hours ago, Augie said:

If you are talking Schwabl’s “gravy” I’ll say that’s one of the First World’s lightest gravy’s. And delicious!!! Don’t miss the German Potato salad, warm with bacon and vinegar…… forgive me….I’m having a moment. 

Schwabl's "gravy" is just fine by me. Bailo's was way too heavy for the sandwich, IMO. Plus their beef was WAY overcooked for me.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Schwabl's "gravy" is just fine by me. Bailo's was way too heavy for the sandwich, IMO. Plus their beef was WAY overcooked for me.

Yeah... Needs to be sliced rare. Gotta go in the gravy rare. Probably sat in there too long.

And just because it's gravy... Doesn't mean it needs to be drenched. 

Sorta why I mentioned the Chicago Italian beef. That's ordered: Dipped, Wet, Dry. 

I like the beef on weck just wet... Among other things... 😈 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.