Bryce Young and Will Anderson To Play In Sugar Bowl.....

Bill from NYC

And I am really surprised by their decision. I know from his press conference that Saban is glad. He also implied that he will not leave them in for a long time but the decision is still a brave one and speaks to their character imo.

These kids (if healthy) are both almost certain to be top 5 draft picks). They have contributed very much to The University of Alabama Football Team and school. They are wonderful leaders and role models with or without this affirmative decision. When I watch this game, I will be holding my breath that neither of them gets injured and loses out on millions of dollars. 

Numerous star players on other teams are opting out and I cannot say that I blame them. I have seen a few college players get injured late in the season and it has effected both their draft status and career. 

My point, which I have tried to make before is that bowl games are virtually meaningless to most players. With the playoffs expanding to 12 games, they will soon become a complete waste of time and risk for even more players.

What do you folks think about bowl games having any real meaning in terms of winning or losing them?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

And I am really surprised by their decision. I know from his press conference that Saban is glad. He also implied that he will not leave them in for a long time but the decision is still a brave one and speaks to their character imo.

These kids (if healthy) are both almost certain to be top 5 draft picks). They have contributed very much to The University of Alabama Football Team and school. They are wonderful leaders and role models with or without this affirmative decision. When I watch this game, I will be holding my breath that neither of them gets injured and loses out on millions of dollars. 

Numerous star players on other teams are opting out and I cannot say that I blame them. I have seen a few college players get injured late in the season and it has effected both their draft status and career. 

My point, which I have tried to make before is that bowl games are virtually meaningless to most players. With the playoffs expanding to 12 games, they will soon become a complete waste of time and risk for even more players.

What do you folks think about bowl games having any real meaning in terms of winning or losing them?

Somehow it pleases me that the Alabama players did not opt out. I understand the financial calculations, but there is an old school integrity to offering to play the game.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

Question is will Bryce Young be back for 2022 or will he declare for NFL draft?!

It woud really shock me if Bryce comes back. As I said, he will be a top 5 pick in 2023. Many mocks have him as the #1 pick and while I don't necessarily agree, this would seem to be too much money to pass up. I'm talking about lifetime security for a level headed, great kid that he is. 

Bryce has nothing left to prove. A case could be made for Bryce to have won the Heisman Trophy this season too. He played injured, and behind a so-so offensive line. I wish him nothing but success and good health, and do not care about the Orange Bowl. Imo it is up to Coach Saban to preserve his future well being by removing him early.

PS: If you watch the game, check out QB Ty Simpson! I have been wrong many times before but I predict greatness from this kid. :) 

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 12/17/2022 at 8:51 AM, Bill from NYC said:

It matters to MOST fans. MOST players. I can't think of any program other than Alabama that would have this mindset. 

I played college football (yet, just for a year on a practice squad) and I continued to have numerous friends who played and coached at Power 5 schools. Later I covered Oklahoma college football (mainly OSU and Tulsa) as a photographer.  I don't recall any that didn't care about playing in and winning a bowl game. Going somewhere like Hawaii, playing in the Rose Bowl, getting fun extras from the Playstation Fiesta Bowl, etc. It's fun and does give these kids more time to shine. More practice for the underclassmen. Etc. 

Well, I agree that most fans care about the bowl games. Most players? I'll buy that as well, but certainly not the ones who stand to make millions of dollars, unless they get hurt. And when/if they get hurt and lose out on millions, should they say, "well, most fans are happy, so it was a smart move to play in a bowl game with no playoff implications?" 

Below is a probably incomplete list of players opting out of bowl games in 2022. How many are from Alabama?

My contention is that when the best players opt out of a game, the game is not real (for lack of a better word). There are no chances for a championship in the game between Kansas State and Alabama. Bryce and Will are going to play, but for how long? At least 12 Alabama players entered the transfer portal. It doesn't really prove anything if we beat them or if they beat us. Alabama is just not the same team as it was in Septenber.

I care more about seeing Ty Simpson and Jalen Milroe begin their battle for the starting QB spot, not to mention 2 rookie prospects. I want to watch the freshmen at OLB and Jamarion Miller at RB. 

Anyway, I truly do appreciate the dialogue. Happy holidays to you and yours.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10058450-notable-cfb-players-sitting-out-of-2022-bowl-games

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.