Worst Thanksgiving ever

Thirdborn

On 11/23/2022 at 9:26 PM, wnyguy said:

Tap water? Oh we used to dream of tap water, I remember there was 13 of us living in a small shoe box in the middle of the road. We had to get up a half an hour before we went to bed and work 18 hours at the mill.

Sheer Luxury Lad!

On 11/23/2022 at 4:58 PM, Augie said:

IDK - it wasn’t me but some old friends had a group of people for Thanksgiving at their first house. They were so proud to be entertaining like adults. They ate early and then settled in to watch football. Before too long they realize everybody has food poisoning……in their one bathroom house. 😱

Sorry had to laugh at the thought of that

On 11/23/2022 at 5:05 PM, Augie said:

Tomorrow will be rough for me. My 94 year old mom has been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes since Sept 3 when she took a bad fall, breaking her pelvis in two places. She has fallen multiple times since then. We host Thanksgiving and are expecting 17 for tomorrow (down from 25 last year). It should be 18, but even with skilled nursing she is falling if she tries to get out of the wheelchair. There are four steps up to our house, and she can’t do that. Even with a wheelchair she has been known to fall in the bathroom. Getting that old sucks. 

So, tomorrow is not only Thanksgiving, but also my mom’s 95th birthday. We will take turns visiting her in the nursing home, but it will be the first time she has not been able to join us for the holidays. She said she was “not invited” after talking to one of my sisters. I explained it was out of concern for her safety, but it’s still crushing both of our hearts. I’d have paid almost anything to have some skilled care to make this possible, but we were not able to line anything up on a holiday with limited notice since her latest fall. 

Auggie … wow .. just read this (as before I just thought this would be a fluffy, airless, nonsensical thread.  Sorry to hear this.  Hopefully love and not expectations of other things ruled the day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My mom makes a habit of inviting community/church members to her house on Thanksgiving. Usually it’s the widowed elderly, a single adult or a new couple to the area.

A few years back she invited a woman whom we had known well for years. She planned to come, as she did in a few years past. She never showed up. My mom called over to see if we should wait or go ahead and eat. 

Her sister picked up the phone. Turns out the poor lady died that morning. We didn’t hear the phone conversation, but you could see my moms face turn white with surprise and shock. As she hung up the phone, my uncle broke the silence by stating, “well, pass the mashed potatoes, I guess”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.