My 2005 Buffalo Bills Roster

I like Kevin Thompson a lot. i saw him play the other day and it seems as though he has all the tools, i mean he is 6'5'' and can run, has a strong arm, the interception i saw was a tipped ball, so i think he'll make it as our  #3 behind Losman and Holcomb. I see no reason why we would absolutely need Shane Matthews on our team. He'll never see the field, and even if he would, it woul mean the season is over anyway so why not give Kevin a shot.

337428[/snapback]

On paper, I 100% agree with you...however, something about Kelly Holcomb tells me that he is a guy who wants to play, and might be a little competitive with Losman. I am not talking RJ/midget proportions, just good healthy competition.

By all accounts, Losman learned a lot from Matthews on the sidelines last year. The Bills have a lot invested in Losman, maybe it would be best not to upset the apple cart, until they are positive the kid can play some.

I see Matthews is the third stringer, and should anyone go down, Thompson comes off the practice squad. I know he (Thompson) spent some time on the Browns roster as well, but I am not sure if he was ever dressed for a regular season game, which could make him inelidgable for the practice squad. Any Browns followers out there know?

wow I never heard that before.  KJ finds Green in bed with his fiancee then gets cut for it?  Thats harsh!

337656[/snapback]

KJ was cut because he told the browns he couldnt be on the same team as WG anymore....they had to pick and chose Green.

Thats just one more reason Butch Davis is out the door.

I appreciate the thought that went into this, but the Bills won't cut Shaud Williams. If they do, it will be a mistake.

Doubtful about them cutting Lindell even though i don't really like him. I think you're probably right about standing pat on o-line and tight end.

Reed or Aiken makes the squad. Probably Reed, maybe both.

I appreciate the thought that went into this, but the Bills won't cut Shaud Williams.  If they do, it will be a mistake.

Doubtful about them cutting Lindell even though i don't really like him.  I think you're probably right about standing pat on o-line and tight end.

Reed or Aiken makes the squad.  Probably Reed, maybe both.

337950[/snapback]

I strongly disagree with almost everything. I only mildly disagree with others.

The Bills were unhappy with their RB's behind Willis. They drafted Lionel Gates and signed ReShard Lee. That alone makes Shaud expendable. But I see them signing another RB as well because ReShard Lee is no veteran. He came from the same draft as Willis and is no real upgrade from Gates or Lee. Anthony Thomas was the veteran they wanted. But something didn't work out during or after the visit. Now I see them waiting until someone gets cut. I liked Shaud last year and obviously so did you. But the way I see it, we'll have Willis, Lee, Gates, Another veteran, and Williams. I don't see us keeping more than 3 on the active roster.

Maybe Aiken stays on. But why in the blue hell would we keep Reed on the roster? The best he'd be is a #4 behind Moulds, Evans, and Parrish. His performance has proven only that he deserves his walking papers. The drafting of Parrish secured that fate.

If Rian Lindell isn't going to be cut, then why do we have two other kickers on the roster and are most likely adding a third? Why else would we have been pursuing Doug Brien? Why were we (allegedly) trying to trade up for Mike Nugent?

The Bills were unhappy with their RB's behind Willis. They drafted Lionel Gates and signed ReShard Lee. That alone makes Shaud expendable. But I see them signing another RB as well because ReShard Lee is no veteran. He came from the same draft as Willis and is no real upgrade from Gates or Lee. Anthony Thomas was the veteran they wanted. But something didn't work out during or after the visit. Now I see them waiting until someone gets cut. I liked Shaud last year and obviously so did you. But the way I see it, we'll have Willis, Lee, Gates, Another veteran, and Williams. I don't see us keeping more than 3 on the active roster.

Maybe Aiken stays on. But why in the blue hell would we keep Reed on the roster? The best he'd be is a #4 behind Moulds, Evans, and Parrish. His performance has proven only that he deserves his walking papers. The drafting of Parrish secured that fate.

If Rian Lindell isn't going to be cut, then why do we have two other kickers on the roster and are most likely adding a third? Why else would we have been pursuing Doug Brien? Why were we (allegedly) trying to trade up for Mike Nugent?

338006[/snapback]

I can see Rian Lindell getting cut if any of these other kickers look good. If they don't, he stays by default, though I agree we could do a lot better.

You assume Gates and Lee will be chosen ahead of Williams. I think Shaud showed enough that he makes it as one of the three backs on the squad, assuming Travis is gone. Just because they drafted Gates and signed Lee doesn't mean they make the team. You yourself say (I think) that Lee is not upgrade over Williams. Shaud is a change-of-pace from Willis.

I think they have not given up on Reed. He makes it as number four or maybe number five. Granted, Reed has been a disappointment. But why would, based on their performance, the Bills prefer Aiken over Reed?

Of course, I could easily be wrong about all of this. We'll see.

338006[/snapback]

Billsfan4 also has my thanks for a thoughtful post which I like though I disaagree with a few of the assessments but even more so with some of the alternative thoughts folks have to the initial post.

I think the RB situation is not driven by any huge dissatisfaction with the alternatives we have on hand (Williams as a 3rd down back, Burns as an ST and back-up FB, but more that the Bills have a correct sense that these players may be adequate for the above roles but signing FA Lee and drafting Gates late is a no0lose situation for the Bills because if they step up and realize some of the potential we see great for us, if they don't and we cut them too bad for them but no big hole for us.

The back-up RG situation is simply too uncertain to make a reasonable prediction. Injuries to other teams will determine the demand and supply at RB which will determine his ultimate trade value rather than an assessment of him as a player or a person. The Green trade is interesting but I think Henry coming back to be WMs back-up as unlikely as that is seems more likely than Green becoming a Bill.

Several things can keep Reed on this roster:

1. His cap hit becomes 400K in deadspace if he is cut and anyone kept over him not only has to equal him but actually do much better to force him out.

2. Despite two lousy regular seasons in a row, he impressed folks in camp because he is a workout warrior and does well in camp. Though hid past mental and physical breakdowns make it unlikely in my book that he will ever become the WR we want, cutting a nice figure in practice will likely keep him around.

3. He has actually done the job envisioned for him before. Reed showed that mentally he was not up to being the #2 and physically he broke down last year and created the opportunity that Evans seized. However as a rookie Reed feasted on LBs and 4th or 5th DBs when Moulds and Price mandated great attention. Moulds and Evans should do this again and there is a reasonable expectation that an even more experienced Reed can perform like he did as a rookie. My guess is they keep Reed and Aiken wins the #4 job.

I agree that giving up on Lindell does not make sense to me since he did a great job as part of the kickoff game, and a very good job on onside kicks. Hie failure to be a money placekicker certainly calls for looking at a replacement for him. However, I have seen little real evidence that any of the kickers on the roster can handle the kickoff duty well and in the absensce of this I think Lindell will stay.

As far as LT is concerned I do not think the starter is on this team yet. Rather than being naive, the availability of a cap casualty in a couple of weeks strikes me as a far more likely scenario than the wildcards of getting Green or Simon. The Bills braintrust seemed split on Shelton and I think if the docs say he is OK we will sign him. There is also talk of Whitfield being released an he would be an upgrade over Gandy (particularly if they believe in Peters at LT cause he will need at least a year).

I agree that JMac is hot on Gandy, but being the back-up T to both positions is something the Bills should get somebody they are hot for to play. I think the primary weakeness of the OL laid out in this thread is that it does not have a credible back-up T for both sides.