Jacksonville and Rob Johnson

They are still probably feeling sorry for us-ala the Rob Johnson trade. Those two pefect bombs he threw that day when Brunell went down made that jackass millions. I still have dry heaves thinking back to the day we gave up the #9 pick over all.... and we were all happy as kangaroo's! Rot in hell clutching your Super Bowl ring that you might as well have bought on e-bay.

They are still probably feeling sorry for us-ala the Rob Johnson trade. Those two pefect bombs he threw that day when Brunell went down made that jackass millions. I still have dry heaves thinking back to the day we gave up the #9 pick over all.... and we were all happy as kangaroo's! Rot in hell clutching your Super Bowl ring that you might as well have bought on e-bay.

336819[/snapback]

Um..... i'm a little confused as to how this post about Travis Henry transformed into an RJ rant.

Anyways, where did you hear this?

sounds like a bogus article (i.e., ralph wilson has a a friend of a friend - in the press (florida of all places!) ) write an article - basically stating henry's status and value and simply re-enters his name - as to keep it fresh in the media. other teams are peer pressured often times into moves.

Um..... i'm a little confused as to how this post about Travis Henry transformed into an RJ rant.

Anyways, where did you hear this?

336825[/snapback]

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/

I guess you don't remember us trading our #9 overall pick for Rob Johnson to Jacksonville in which they took Fred Taylor who is still kicking ass, although he has had injury problems.

sounds like a bogus article (i.e., ralph wilson has a a friend of a friend - in the press (florida of all places!) ) write an article - basically stating henry's status and value and simply re-enters his name - as to keep it fresh in the media.  other teams are peer pressured often times into moves.

Sounds like a bogus post. But at least in the case of the article, it only helps the Bills out.

teams and owners are pawns of their fans my friend. if fans get a 'lets get torches and burn down the courthouse mantra going" the owners and slaes guys and marketing people start listening. losing team are suckers for for media reports and pandering my fans. pt barnum stated that a "sucker is born every second." sure, while gms might balk (as they know the value and ramifications of player moves) the owners are usually professional business people looking to turn a profit, shelter their taxs with the team and have never played a second of organized sport. its all about selling tickets right?

an example is hard to quantify and factually prove, indeed. but if you are open to what i have stated above -rather nicely i might add - then you will believe that:

1) atlanta gave up a 1st to get peerless price - after thier owner (home depot owner) decided that vick needed to throw to someone and TD inflated price's value and snookered them in. this would never have happened if rich makay (falcons current gm) was there.

2) i believe that belichec snookered TD. TD HAD TO HAVE A QB to wear the new uniform and regenerate the bills fan base. TD gave up the farm for a statute - mostly because of the pressure of NOT having a qb to sell tickets.

3) drew rosenhaus (willis agent) was calling willis on the ESPN camera to make it look like teams were calling him. while willis was great in 2004, this example displays the mentality that there is duping going on and pressure can fool people.

4) arizona signed emmit smith because arizona is filled with texas and oklahoma transplant workers. his role was to sell tickets, not rush for 1500 yards.

5) john butler (old gm) was a master at inflating a guys value - predraft - in order to have stupid GMs pick that player in a quest to get the guy we actually wanted. butler basically sold stockar mcdougle (lions RT) so that we could get flowers (who was a NO miss prospect at the time) at 26 - the 5th defensive end /tackle taken.

Often times?  Please provide an example, just one will suffice.

336837[/snapback]

Roscoe, years ago, there was a small receiver/return man, seemingly not unlike Parrish.

Mr. Butler stated that if this player was available when he picked, he was going to take off his shirt and dance in the streets. Needless to say, the player was available, and Mr. Butler passed on him.

Ring a bell?

I dont really know how this applies to stories in papers being planted, but GMs cannot be counted upon to tell the truth, nor should they be. Their job is to do what is best for their teams/fans.

Roscoe, years ago, there was a small receiver/return man, seemingly not unlike Parrish.

Mr. Butler stated that if this player was available when he picked, he was going to take off his shirt and dance in the streets. Needless to say, the player was available, and Mr. Butler passed on him.

Ring a bell?

I dont really know how this applies to stories in papers being planted, but GMs cannot be counted upon to tell the truth, nor should they be. Their job is to do what is best for their teams/fans.

336850[/snapback]

Leeland Mcelroy where are you now...2 years with the Az Cardinals and then out of the league...

Leeland Mcelroy where are you now...2 years with the Az Cardinals and then out of the league...

336851[/snapback]

Wow! Great friggin memory ya got there!!! Can you recall exactly what Mr. B said? :lol:

Mr. Butler had ME believing we were going to scoop this guy right up. I dont listen to much of what these guys say any more.

Wow! Great friggin memory ya got there!!! Can you recall exactly what Mr. B said?  :doh:

Mr. Butler had ME believing we were going to scoop this guy right up. I dont listen to much of what these guys say any more.

336852[/snapback]

JB mentioned something about dancing a jig if Mcelroy was still on the board when we picked...We chose Eric Moulds instead---at #23...guess it worked out okay for us...Mcelroy was chosen 11 spots later by the Cardinals...no great memory--just google skills... :lol:

Your thread title is misleading. A St. Augustine newspaper columnist is interested in Henry...nowhere does it mention the Jags are.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to the trade parameters the guy lays out, but let's be honest...this scenario is just idle conjecture by a small-time newspaper at this point.

Ring a bell?

336850[/snapback]

McElroy wasn't a receiver - he was a running back who was 5'9" but 212 pounds. Kind of a poor man's Thurman Thomas. Good point, though.

Indeed, it is the paper that purports that the jags WOULD need TH. the jags have jones, who is excellent - del rio is very high on him. he could rush for 1300 IMO. but why did this guy write this artilce? does the buffalo news all the sudden write a story about a marginal wr or qb or running back out of the blue? look for the spoking gun here, the grassy knowl if you will. "gee, TH needs some press, get the florida writer on the horn to spreed his value and stoke up the coals." i speak from experience with this type of media duping and pressure technique. while i cannot definitivly say that this FLA writer is partaking in a sinister plan - germinated and orchestrated in TD's living room - it can happen and has happened (not with TD per se, but with other teams, in other sports, etc).

Your thread title is misleading.  A St. Augustine newspaper columnist is interested in Henry...nowhere does it mention the Jags are. 

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to the trade parameters the guy lays out, but let's be honest...this scenario is just idle conjecture by a small-time newspaper at this point.

336859[/snapback]

McElroy wasn't a receiver - he was a running back who was 5'9" but 212 pounds.  Kind of a poor man's Thurman Thomas.  Good point, though.

336876[/snapback]

Thanks.

I am of the opinion that if guys like TD were poker players, they could step in and play in the World Series of Poker. They probably talk in circles and read each other's moves, voice, and body language.

Some GMs have good working relationships with certain others, but I am guessing that they can never really trust another GM completely.

Mr. Butler stated that he hated moving up on draft day because teams "rape" you. It must be a great job, working for the right owner.

but why did this guy write this artilce?  does the buffalo news all the sudden write a story about a marginal wr or qb or running back out of the blue?  look for the spoking gun here, the grassy knowl if you will. 

336881[/snapback]

:lol::doh:

From today's Jacksonville newspaper:

Taylor-made comebacks get tougher

By GENE FRENETTE, Times-Union columnist

May 15, 2005

Fred Taylor says not to worry. His left knee will be ready to go by training camp.

I believe the Jaguars running back believes that. Few players in the franchise's history are as brutally honest in evaluating themselves as Forthright Fred, but part of me wonders how well Taylor's knee holds up in 2005. It could pose a roadblock when the Jaguars enter their most promising season in five years.

First, it must be acknowledged that Taylor has a solid track record of recovering from physical setbacks. He had five 100-yard games in 1999 after being deactivated three times for hamstring problems. Taylor rebounded from a strained medial collateral ligament in the 2000 preseason to rush for 1,399 yards. And after a groin injury sidelined him for most of 2001, he made 46 consecutive starts.

But Taylor's I'll-be-fine pronouncements this time have a different feel. The idea that Taylor, who turns 30 in January, can proceed without a hitch next season looks more suspicious.

Why? For one thing, it took four months for anyone from the Jaguars to acknowledge that Taylor's sprained MCL suffered last December was worse than the original diagnosis. Taylor conceded during minicamp that there was greater damage, but offered no specifics.

Secrecy during the season, you understand. Teams are known to engage in gamesmanship with NFL injury reports to keep opponents guessing.

What raises eyebrows in this instance is the evasiveness midway through the offseason. It's not like Taylor had a knee injury as serious as offensive tackle Mike Pearson. Remember, this was supposed to be a simple arthroscopic procedure. No big deal.

But the tiptoeing on the subject from Taylor, and his unlikely participation in team drills until camp begins, casts things in a slightly different light. You just don't know if the Jaguars are erring on the side of caution or if there's something being kept hidden.

The longer this mystery lingers, the more a cloud thickens over the 2005 season. It's great that receiver Reggie Williams looked much improved in minicamp. That quarterback Byron Leftwich appears ready for a breakout year. And many are salivating that first-round draft pick Matt Jones will provide a spark in the red zone.

There's a synergy at One Alltel Place that this franchise is on the cusp of something special. Just don't forget to insert a major caveat -- Fred Taylor's health -- that history indicates must be part of the package.

It's hard to paint the Jaguars as a playoff team if Taylor misses significant time. You probably know the Jaguars scored only 13 points when he missed the last two games of 2004, but the numbers are more alarming if you go back further.

In 26 games without Taylor, the Jaguars are 12-14. Not good, but not horrific. Here's the telling part: They're 0-8 without him against playoff-bound opponents and have never beaten a team that finished with a winning record.

Five of the Taylor-absent wins came in 1999, when the Jaguars had a quality backup in James Stewart. There's no such No. 2 on this roster, at least no proven one. LaBrandon Toefield hasn't shown it. Greg Jones was moved to fullback because he didn't have it. Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala had flashes as a Pittsburgh Steeler in 2001, but he deserves a Fragile Fu tag more than Taylor ever did.

The Jaguars' offense is undergoing a makeover with the hiring of coordinator Carl Smith. But one indisputable truth remains: It's not going places without Taylor in it for the long haul.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18742870.shtml