Proposed Base Closings.

FYI, historically, 85% of the BRAC recommendations have been approved as is by the commission and subsequently implemented.  Now, the statistical sample is small, but the process was set up to avoid long and expensive bargaining sessions by the legislators.  We'll know by 1 Oct how well this BRAC did.

337096[/snapback]

Hopefully good enough. The military, like other facets of the Federal behemoth, is over-funded and under-efficient.

You gotta give Rumsfeld props, he's taken on the military establishment and kicked them square in the entitlement-mentality nuts.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out here in the East SF Bay area, a city is actually glad that a base will be closed. The Concord Naval weapons station had been basically mothballed for 10 years. The suggestion to close most of it will allow the city of Concord to add 13,000 housing units on the land.

Instead we have thousands of people COMING to hamton roads.  So much for traffic... :D

336921[/snapback]

i knew HR was gonna at least break even, but was surprised how far ahead we came

but then again, think who is the chairman of the senate defense committee :lol:

Hopefully good enough. The military, like other facets of the Federal behemoth, is over-funded and under-efficient.

You gotta give Rumsfeld props, he's taken on the military establishment and kicked them square in the entitlement-mentality nuts.

337237[/snapback]

Too many contractors in the military, everything is farmed out.

What happened to the good ole days when a unit did everything?

They are marching down the Corps (USACE) door, gonna morph it like other parts of the military.

Where I work we do everything. Here, I see the days of specialized contractors doing everything.

You know what? It is gonna cost 'em more! And if pride isn't written into the contract? It isn't going to exist.

/End Rant

/End Rant

337916[/snapback]

I'd like my Military to concentrate on killing the enemy.

They are marching down the Corps (USACE) door, gonna morph it like other parts of the military.

Where I work we do everything.  Here, I see the days of specialized contractors doing everything.

You know what?  It is gonna cost 'em more!  And if pride isn't written into the contract?  It isn't going to exist.

/End Rant

337916[/snapback]

Uh, wrong. Too many folks in the military who never pick up a weapon and are woefully unprepared to do so when it becomes necessary. The majority of things on an average US base SHOULD be done by civilians because they don't move and can actually handle projects from "requirement to retirement."

The problem isn't farming it out - the problem is the makeup of the folks still wearing the uniform. Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

Uh, wrong.  Too many folks in the military who never pick up a weapon and are woefully unprepared to do so when it becomes necessary.  The majority of things on an average US base SHOULD be done by civilians because they don't move and can actually handle projects from "requirement to retirement."

The problem isn't farming it out - the problem is the makeup of the folks still wearing the uniform.  Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

337924[/snapback]

Thanks AD, thats what I meant. I was screaming at the monitor, my bad.............

I'd like my Military to concentrate on killing the enemy.

337919[/snapback]

Then expect to pay the price.

In the meantime? I don't buy the reasoning. Knowing EVERY aspect keeps you sharp. People are just flat out lazy and can't keep up the pace. I believe in the opposite... You want to stay sharp, you occupy yourself with task during the "down time."

IMO.

Just do it. It needs to be done, you do it. Cross-train everyone to be self-sufficient.

Uh, wrong.  Too many folks in the military who never pick up a weapon and are woefully unprepared to do so when it becomes necessary.  The majority of things on an average US base SHOULD be done by civilians because they don't move and can actually handle projects from "requirement to retirement."

The problem isn't farming it out - the problem is the makeup of the folks still wearing the uniform.  Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

337924[/snapback]

Can you say Jessica Lynch? :D

Then expect to pay the price.

337936[/snapback]

War is not pretty. Would you pull the trigger? If someone killed your baby girl, would you pull the trigger?, or have them sentenced to death? Or killed your son?, your wife?, your Mom?

Answer all of these questions, please..........

War is not pretty. Would you pull the trigger? If someone killed your baby girl, would you pull the trigger?, or have them sentenced to death? Or killed your son?, your wife?, your Mom?

Answer all of these questions, please..........

337975[/snapback]

I will... You won't like it.

No doubt, I would like to do the honors.

But, back to the point. Do work outside of soldiering, IMO, does not make you less efficient.

I do see the need for civilian support structure but, not at today's level.

I will beat you to it... Haliburton evil! :D

Ya... Like her problem was that she pulled too much KP... :D  :lol:

Maybe if she was conditioned to keep busy?

Laziness breeds laziness... It carries over into other things... Like cleaning your weapon...

337962[/snapback]

Actually I blame her NCO's and officer's up the chain. Read the action reports on that little skirmish sometime. Very interesting. I think it was 13 soldiers, 9 rifles jammed on the first clip. Yeah, that's really being prepared to go to battle, !@#$ing clean your damn weapon, especially with all the sand.

Common sense 101.

I will... You won't like it.

No doubt, I would like to do the honors.

But, back to the point.  Do work outside of soldiering, IMO, does not make you less efficient.

I do see the need for civilian support structure but, not at today's level.

I will beat you to it... Haliburton evil! :doh:

337984[/snapback]

No you didnt answer them;

Simple.

If someone killed your son, would you kill them or want them killed ? _______

If someone killed your wife, would you kill them or want them killed?_________

If someone killed your daughter, would you kill them or want them killed?________

These are Yes or No answers.

337924[/snapback]

You REALLY don't want me picking up a weapon... :doh:

An officer with a weapon is not a good thing.............

shouldnt you just have keys?

338031[/snapback]

He's AF. They use a pen to sign a contract to have someone else do it. When it comes to killing they just fly the Army there and have them do it. Like the Navy, they act as water borne taxi service to the jarheads.

He's AF.  They use a pen to sign a contract to have someone else do it.  When it comes to killing they just fly the Army there and have them do it.  Like the Navy, they act as water borne taxi service to the jarheads.

338045[/snapback]

We have very nice pens.