Possible job in Mclean, Virginia

The cost of living in the area is very high. That area is very desirable, so get ready to shell out 1200-1800 for a place to rent (real estate for sale is outrageous)...traffic is also horrific at times, make sure you live as close as possible to your work location

other than that its a great place to live, lots of malls, entertainment, close to DC, and MD....making about 60k a year I could see you doing just fine

I checked a compare salary web site (many of them) and it says that 60k is equal to about 46k in Albany, NY. I assumed you could relate to Albany. Hope this helps. McClean is quite expensive as is all of NoVa and suburban MD, we lived in College Park, MD (from Rochester) for about three years in the early ninties and it did take some financial adjustments on our part.

60K in Mclean is tough. You can't really live there for that much and will have to head further out to Mannassas or Loudon for living. The commute on 66 or 7 sucks and is 10x worse then the 95 corridor.

You could do it, but housing closer will eat up a large part of the paycheck.

Who with? Freddie Mac?

My corporate HQ is there and I know a lot of the companies there.

What do you do? If you want to move I might be able to guide you better with that knowledge.

You will not regret the move. Although it is pricey, many single people share apartment's/condo's/townhouses. This area is pretty much recession proof due to all of the Gov't agencies, contractors, tech companies and tourism $.

Don’t fret too much over commuting in this area if you are single. Many employers offer flex time which allow you to start work and leave work early. If you are flexible, you will have no problems. I work at the Pentagon and live in Ashburn (30 miles). It takes me about 35-40 minutes at 6:15 AM to get to work. A little longer to get home at 4:00 but not bad. If you keep your commute away from the beltway you should be OK also.

You should do OK at $60K/yr. There are a lot of jobs in this area, so if you’re aggressive and good at what you do, you can job hop and make much more in a small time.

Good luck

I used to live in Chantilly from 1986-89. That used to be the edge of Metro DC. I went back there and there's an interstate cloverleaf where my old 2-lane intersection was! Metro DC now reaches almost to West Virginia!

McLean was zoo back then. I can only imagine what it's like now. Traffic is beyond insane in the DC area. Jammed morning noon and night! The one thing you could do (if this still works) is learn the back roads of Fairfax County. 98% of folks stick to the major routes. I used to cut across the back roads that not only were less busy, but quite scenic. It was hard to believe you were in Metro DC.

But who knows now. That was almost 20 years ago. What were backroads then are probably interstate highways now.

PTR

McLean is a nice area but like everyone is saying - real estate is very expensive in D.C. and the surrounding areas right now. 1 bedroom apartments in desirable areas are going for $350,000 to $400,000. It might be a little less in McLean - we were only looking in D.C. and Arlington.

isnt mclean right outside of DC?

There really is nothing to do?

I live in a dead area ..

It definitely cant be much worse than where i am now.

334096[/snapback]

There is a lot to do in Mclean area. Plus you are close to metro and can go downtown to georgetown, although you;ll need a cab ride in there also.

If you're gay, nothing wrong with that but you can mtro to some bars in Dupont Circle area. You'll have to ask DC Tom about that area, I tend not to go there.

But there are some clubs in the Tyson / Mclean area, lots of restaurant, plunty of after work activities close by. Traffic sucks, it's expensive but very nice overall.

I live in a dead area ..

334096[/snapback]

there's alot to do there actually. i just don't want to live there because of the cost of living and commuting hassle

I live in a dead area ..

334096[/snapback]

Do it. It's expensive, but there is a lot to do, some really interesting people and as far as work goes, seems like it's very stable. Plus, lots of other opportunities. I live in Alexandria. I'm assuming you're single. Married, 60K will not go far. Get in as close to Tyson's as you can, as mentioned-the commutes can be a B word.

Can anyone give me info about mclean, tysons corner area?

I know its expensive .. so can someone tell me if id be ok making 60K a year there? I'm 30 years old and  single.

333707[/snapback]

As many have indicated, be prepared for traffic shock. It is so bad on the Beltway (I495) that rush hour has practically become an all day affair. And to get just about anywhere outside of the immediate McLean area, you may have to depend on that road. I've had to drive it twice this week from Maryland to the McLean area and it was a mess at "off hours." That being said, McLean is a nice, upscale area. It should be for what you have to pay to live there.

Can anyone give me info about mclean, tysons corner area?

I know its expensive .. so can someone tell me if id be ok making 60K a year there? I'm 30 years old and  single.

333707[/snapback]

Grevey's is nearby which is dedicated to Bills games on Sunday.