JA v. Big Ben

RyanC883

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sean-mcdermott-on-bills-not-squib-kicking-with-13-seconds-left-against-chiefs-that-starts-with-me/amp/

“that starts with me”

“Again, I'm going to put it on the execution at this point and myself.”

Thanks, but you're perfectly backing up my point. I said I thought he had taken responsibility as a good CEO should, but had not said it was his fault. And I challenged you to come back and find somewhere where he said it was his fault, that he had made the mistake.

And you come back and find another spot where he again took responsibility as any good leader should.

Thanks for finding that, it helps make my point.

Cracked me up, by the way, where you found his quote, "Again, I'm going to put it on the execution at this point and myself," and you then bolded the "and myself." Again, this says far more about you and what you want to believe than about McDermott. It would have been every bit as legitimate to bold it like this: ""Again, I'm going to put it on the execution at this point and myself."

You said, "Looks at facts…..how about the fact that McD said it’s his fault."  But you can't back that up. He didn't say it was his fault. He didn't say he made a mistake. He took responsibility. It's not the same thing.

What he did poorly was that he didn't take responsibility well enough. It doesn't appear to have been his fault, but that's beside the point. When a leader takes responsibility he ought to do it wholeheartedly, even if he actually doesn't deserve any of the blame. McDermott didn't do that. I suspect this loss eats at him like acid and he can't bring himself to do what he knows he should do, take the responsibility regardless even if it's not your fault. Wholeheartedly and completely. That's his mistake here.

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/why-13-seconds-is-on-sean-mcdermott

Kelce mic’d up in the moment is wild. The Chiefs weren’t only exceptionally calm those 13 seconds. They noticed the Bills playing soft coverage and took full advantage.

“They play it like that, that seam is open,” Kelce says after the first play.

There’s a loud “Do it ‘Kelc!’” from Mahomes presnap and then it’s as easy as catching a football from your Dad in the backyard:

We had the game won with 13 seconds left.  Then we lost. He’s the head coach.  It’s on him.  He absolutely blew it with his play calls.  Kelce knew it the second he saw it.

This also doesn't support your point.

It definitely shows something went wrong, not that anyone could doubt that. But the problem Kelce is talking about is precisely the one that Wallace is saying he blames himself for, and that the defense the coaches had called was good if they'd communicated the way they usually did.

And the whole thing wouldn't have been relevant if it hadn't been for not squibbing it, and McDermott called for the squib.

Yes, he's responsible as head coach for everything and he should take responsibility and did (though again I'd argue not strongly enough). But you haven't found anything that puts the actual blame on the coaching staff.

Edited by Thurman#1

Ben got plugged into the system Allen should have been put in, very little pressure on the QB to carry the team.  To this day it’s all about Allen.  With that said, it’s worked out, Allen has grown up FAST.  At this point in their careers, Allen has become a better QB than Ben was at the same point.  Ben lasted and did it for years, let’s hope JA does too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.